English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 15 July 2012, 21:19   #21
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Ok, I will make it later with time. To start I will tell you that booting from System, and using the program Mr. Icon, moving the icon of Multimedia to source, I see the icon I've got booting Work (not the one I'm seeing in the screen). If I use Icon Master and I make the same, I see another icon, the one of the chest of drawers.

I'm using CWBAdvSp in System and CWBLite with 1.3 theme in Work.
Old 15 July 2012, 22:00   #22
thomas

The icon is probably a NewIcon. System has the NewIcons program running and Work has not.

Open a Shell window and enter the command

copy multimedia:disk.info apps:

Do this from a Shell, do not use another program like DOpus or MrIcon or IconMaster. Wait a few seconds, then reboot. Do the icons of Multimedia and Apps still look different?
Old 15 July 2012, 22:09   #23
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Ok, and thanks Thomas. I've made it, and I've got the same icons booting Work (that's one perfect for 4 colors), but booting from System I've got the same icon of Apps than in Work.

Multimedia keeps changing its icon.

Edit: Forget it. In fact I was going to ask you that from what partition booted did you want me to make this. Now I've done exactly the same, but booting from Work, and now I've got the "same" "changing" icons booting from both partitions

But... Can you explain me (a little) why this happens? How can I have two different icons for the same partitions in different bootable Workbenchs? It's really bizarre... but great.

Edit: I was trying later to change and use NTSC in System and Multimedia has changed its icon to the one of 4 colors. I've changed it again to a "changing" one using your instructions on the contrary. It has happened a couple of times (Apps is now rock solid, changing). Rare behaviour. (Using NTSC in System and Pal in Work I watch them the same, but the icons are in different places, and they keep in the perfect places in both Workbenchs).

Last edited by Retrofan; 29 October 2015 at 01:43.
Old 15 July 2012, 23:02   #24
thomas

Up to Workbench 3.1 icons were stored as bitmap data only, without palette information. Colors were taken from Palette prefs, but only the first four colors can be fixed by this. Tricks like MWB-Daemon or FullPalette were used to have more than four colors fixed.

With NewIcons a system to store palette information along with bitmap data was invented. The original icon file format with its four-colored bitmap was kept and an additional palette-mapped image was stored as tooltypes. So with the NewIcons program running you see the many-colored icon, without it you see the four-colored one. That's what you experience.

OS 3.5 implemented a similar system into icon.library, but it is not compatible to NewIcons. And even worse, it is not compatible with WB 3.1. If you snapshot an OS 3.5 icon with WB 3.1, the palette-mapped image is removed from the file. This cannot happen with NewIcons.
Old 16 July 2012, 01:58   #25
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Ok, I've uploaded a video to Youtube.

[ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by Retrofan; 16 July 2012 at 10:33.
Old 30 January 2013, 21:40   #26
Turran

dismount does not work in Workbench 1.0 ! hehe.

Was making a "all OS CF" for fun. I'm using early boot for now =)
Old 22 March 2013, 15:00   #27
spanner
none

I have got Workbench 1.3.2 working with WHDLoad..

Oh and because it has a data folder not a image you can add 1.3 programs to it..

PM me for help..
Old 15 July 2015, 13:19   #28
spudje

Sorry to revive this thread. I am trying to establish something similar here as Retro Fan I guess:

1 8GB CF (PFS3AIO)
3 partitions:
DH0: ClassicWB (< 1GB)
DH1: Amikit (< 1GB)
DH2: Work (Always available) (6GB)

Would the following be the correct approach?

So if I understand correctly I put the changebootpri in Early Startup??? Both in a early startup on DH0 and DH1???

For ClassicWB

changebootpri dh0: 1 mount
changebootpri dh1: 0 mount
changebootpri dh2: 0 mount

Reboot

And then in the DH0: normal startup-sequence I dismount DH1: ???

For Amikit:

changebootpri dh0: 0 mount
changebootpri dh1: 1 mount
changebootpri dh2: 0 mount

Reboot

And then in the DH1: normal startup-sequence I dismount DH0: ???

I guess I can trigger the changebootpri script & reboot from a nice looking startup menu (e.g. Amiga Boot Selector)?
Old 15 July 2015, 17:15   #29
daxb

First, I would do is to check Early-Startup which drives (HD, CF, CD, DF0, ...) has which priority. Just to know good values for changebootpri and what is the default.

You need two scripts. One on each partition you want to boot from. Normaly it should be enough to just set boot priority for one boot partition. Others don`t need to change. Dismount is also not necessary but that depends on what do you wish. Think about how the action should behave then you know how the scripts have to look like (if not just ask again).
Old 15 July 2015, 20:42   #30
spudje

OK thx, I will see how far I get
Old 15 July 2015, 20:58   #31
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

I don't like the changebootpri, I just used dismount, for me it's much easier and much better.
Just put a Dismount DH-0,1, whatever-: in the s-s and that partition disappears from screen.

If you want to boot another OS of any other partition, just use the early menu and select only that partition as bootable. In that other partition you use also dismount in the s-s to disable any other partition/s you like, so the icons left out from them won't be there.

I haven't used changebootpri, but if you only change the booting order and you keep the partitions there, then the icons left out from other partitions/OS' will also be there.

Last edited by Retrofan; 16 July 2015 at 01:35.