English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 27 December 2011, 00:11   #1
BarryB
Amigaholic

Iprefs causing OS3.9 weirdness?

After installing OS3.9 (no Boing Bags) I didn't realise I had a problem until I tried running a few programs like PowerPacker 5.0, Audio-Master, Maverick, LockPick 2.0 and quite a few others. What happens is when I run any of those programs the screen goes haywire like the monitor is out of sync until I press Left Amiga + M to cycle the screen back to WB. If I drag the WB screen down I can see the program and can use it so long as it doesn't pop to the front (especially when a requester opens) as it goes haywire again and I have to keep using Left Amiga + M to get back to WB and use the program from behind the WB window!

So after messing about with the startup I found commenting out IPrefs solves the problem but leaves my WB icons looking crap as the colour depth looks like 4 colours not 256. Anyone have a clue as to what the problem is? I'm using PAL High Res for the monitor setting if that helps.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 27 December 2011, 00:23   #2
thomas

IPrefs just loads and applies your saved preferences. If IPrefs causes a problem, it's not IPrefs' fault but you saved some preferences which don't match your hardware.

First check Devs/Monitors directory. Leave only those drivers in there which your monitor can display and move everything else to Storage/Monitors. For example if you have a PAL or NTSC monitor only leave PAL or NTSC in Devs/Monitors and remove everything else.

Next check Prefs/IControl and disable mode promotion.

If all of the above does not help, you can delete all saved preferences and start from scratch. Open a Shell window and enter

delete envarc:sys/#?.prefs

Then reboot.
Old 27 December 2011, 02:59   #3
BarryB
Amigaholic

Thanks thomas deleting all the monitor modes my 8833 MKII couldn't use cured the problem. I thought that just because they were in there only the one saved with Prefs\ScreenMode would be used, now I know different!
AdSense AdSense