English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 05 November 2003, 04:38   #1
staticgerbil

adz -> adf -> files

Hi.

I am trying to unpack an adz file on my amiga so i can put it on floppy and run it.

unadf says the adz file isn't big enough. Obviously.

I tried using Unzip but it doesn't recognise the file type. Neither did PackMaster.

Any clues as to what im doing wrong.

Cheers.
Old 05 November 2003, 05:32   #2
Amigaboy

If the file isn't a zip, then it's most likely GZipped.
If I read your post correctly, then you're trying to unpack it on the Amiga itself? If so, check out Aminet for it. You'd probably want the gzip-bin.lha file.

After unpacking, you'll probably be left with an 880kb ADF file which can be written back to a floppy.

Old 05 November 2003, 05:46   #3
Dizzy
Pirate

according to http://ale.emuunlim.com/faq.shtml

How do I use ADZ images?

This is a common question and one that is easily resolved. ADZ images are basicaly zipped up ADF images, if you rename your .ADZ file to .ZIP you will be able to extract the ADF file with winzip. For example, lets say you have a file named ALE.ADZ, if you rename this file to ALE.ZIP and then open it with winzip you will be able to extract the ADF image!.
Old 05 November 2003, 06:00   #4
staticgerbil

As Amigaboy thought.... I am doing this on my actual real amiga so winzip is a little out of the question.

I will download gzip and give that a shot. If that doesn't work maybe i'll try renaming the file.

Thanks for the help
Old 05 November 2003, 09:14   #5
thomas

Rename the file as filename.adf.gz, then enter gzip filename.adf.gz, it will create a filename.adf that is usable.

Or use an adf program that can handle adz directly (e.g. tsgui).
Old 05 November 2003, 09:31   #6
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Try using DiskWiz (http://www.back2roots.org/Tools/Emu/Emu-Tools/) - it can convert between formats.

The syntax is something like:

diskwiz MyDisk.adz df0:
Old 05 November 2003, 12:50   #7
staticgerbil

Thats a cool background on the back2roots page.

I have run into an even bigger problem now

I have just got this 1200 second hand and when i put a disk in the floppy drive it just comes up with df0??? I know the disks work because i have tested them on my 1000 and/or my mates 500.

I have plugged in a couple of external drives from my1000 and they do the same thing? Any ideas on that one?

Also it has an accelerator which i think is an 040 of some sort. Is there a cli command or anything that will tell me exactly what it is?

Cheers for all the help.
Old 05 November 2003, 13:00   #8
Amigaboy

Quote:
Originally posted by staticgerbil
Also it has an accelerator which i think is an 040 of some sort. Is there a cli command or anything that will tell me exactly what it is?
The best way is to use SysInfo or AIBB. I prefer SysInfo, but it can be argued that AIBB is better.

Should there be any better versions of these programs, I'd love to find out what they are. I'm only going off what I used to use a few years ago.

Old 05 November 2003, 14:24   #9
Bloodwych

Best to use sysinfo like amigaboy said, however......

......yes there is a cli command - type "cpu".
Old 05 November 2003, 23:46   #10
staticgerbil

Hah! I was going to try cpu and thought....

Nah. It'd be too easy

I'll try the both.
Old 06 November 2003, 03:04   #11
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

Quote:
Originally posted by staticgerbil
Thats a cool background on the back2roots page.

I have run into an even bigger problem now

I have just got this 1200 second hand and when i put a disk in the floppy drive it just comes up with df0??? I know the disks work because i have tested them on my 1000 and/or my mates 500.

I have plugged in a couple of external drives from my1000 and they do the same thing? Any ideas on that one?

Cheers for all the help.
It's possible the games are virus infected - that's why they work on the A500/A1000 and not on the A1200. Viruses often encrypt themselves with self modifying code which crashes on machines with caches (A1200 with 020 or in your case your 040?).

Another explanation is the games are NDos (so when you load workbench the disk will come up with DF0??? as the name) and because the bootcode has been badly written they will not run on A1200's etc.

If you have an A1200 with accelerator you should be using WHDLoad to run games anyway
Old 06 November 2003, 03:57   #12
staticgerbil

I actually tried to format a disk which i believe is blank and it refuses to do that to.

Can't initialize cylinder 0 or something (im not infront of it).

I (stupidly) haven't actually tried booting from the game disk yet, as i was only interested in getting this adf off, so i'm not sure weather it is something in wb playing up or if it is a hardware thing yet.

I haven't used WHDLoad before as this is my first upgraded 1200 and on the last one the drive was full of programming and graphics stuff.

There were/are a bunch of games installed on the hd though so maybe the last owner did. I would like to get the adf thing working just so i can use the disks on the 1000 to. I have lost the manuals for a few games and just want to get some cracked ones on disk so i can play again.
Old 06 November 2003, 11:40   #13
staticgerbil

Well i tried one more disk in the drives and guess what? It worked in the external drives and not in the internal one.

It did also have the Rene virus on it.

So i'll presume that there are nastier virus' on the other disks stopping them from being read on the 1200 or something? Doesn't matter now anyway.

Just gotta get a new internal drive.

Cheers for all the help. Will leave you alone for a while now