English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. Asm / Hardware

Old 15 March 2016, 14:54   #21
NorthWay

Sorry for not having studied the code as such to know if it can be traversed backwards, but I've always been a big fan of cocktailsort instead of bubblesort. It is practically the same, but gets the outliers in place much faster.

Also, you can change bubblesort from being in-place to always writing values to a new second representation of the list which has a more constant time (does a sort like that have its own name?). Doing it with cocktailsort you can ping-pong from old to new to old again as if nothing had changed.
Old 15 March 2016, 15:08   #22
Asman

@DonScott - right. A0 needs to be +4. Sorry for confusing.
Old 15 March 2016, 17:41   #23
Don_Adan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanScott View Post
No sure if that change in #18 will work. the sub from d0, will only test for the last sub in the d7 dbf loop

Won't the (A0)+,(A0)+ then -(A0),-(A0) bring A0 back to it's original value.. A0 needs to be +4 for the next iteration

Yes, if there is only one swap, it will pass through again. This is why perhaps an insertion sort would be better.. it can do it in one pass.. but there are extra overheads in the insert upwards routine
Right, I seen this a few minutes after.
If you exchange A1 and A2 registers, you can use movem.l a1/a2,-4(a0), but speed will be same for 68000, if i remember 68000 command timings.
Old 16 March 2016, 10:16   #24
Asman

Another approach . I hope that is ok.
Code:
		move.w	Var_NumberOfSprites(a5),d6	; Get number of sprites in list
		subq.w	#2,d6				; Subtract 2 for dbf value
		blt.s	.NoSort				; No sorting required if number of sprites is 1 or less 

lea	Var_SpritePointerList(a5),a3	; Get pointer to start of our sprite ptr list
		moveq	#0,d1				; d1 = flag (will be set to -128 if a swap occured)
.SortLoopOuter
		move.l	a3,a0				; a0 = start of sprite ptr list
		move.w	d6,d7				; d7 = loop counter (number of sprites-2)
		move.l	(a0)+,a1			; Get first address of sprite data
.SortLoopInner
		move.l	(a0)+,a2			; Get next address of sprite data
		move.w	EB_YPos(a1),d0			; Get Y position of sprite data 1 in d0
		cmp.w	EB_YPos(a2),d0			; Compare Y position of sprite data 2 with Y position of sprite data 1 (in d0)
		ble.s	.NoSwap				; Important!! Less than OR equal = No Swap.. otherwise swaps forever equal values....
		move.l	a1,-4(a0)			; swap
		move.l	a2,-8(a0)
		move.l	a1,a2
		moveq	#-128,d1			; d1 = -128.. There has been a swap
.NoSwap
		move.l	a2,a1
		dbf	d7,.SortLoopInner		; Loop through all sprite pointers
		add.b 	d1,d1				; Check the d1 flag
		bcs.s	.SortLoopOuter			; If flag is not 0, there was a swap in the last pass, so need to pass through again
.NoSort
Less read access but swap takes more cycles. If we assume that I didn't make a mistake.
Old 16 March 2016, 10:19   #25
buzzybee

Interesting thread, hope you don´t mind if I follow. I´m currently working on a shoot´em-up called RESHOOT. See here:

https://www.patreon.com/posts/reshoot-on-a1200-4837606

Some of its gamedesign is based on putting as many objects on screen as possible, therefore I can totally immersive myself into your thoughts. As the game is targeting AGA-machines, I decided to go for different solutions than what you discuss here. Reason: The A1200 is sometimes faster in calculating stuff internally than reading values from a table.

The base of my y-sorting is a large chunk of memory - lets call it coordbuffer. Each frame, the object animation code takes the y-coord of a sprite and uses it as a pointer onto an address within this coordbuffer, then puts the sprite coords there. Simplified pseudocode would be like this:

move.l coordbuffer,a0
move howManySprites,d6
.loop
move.l spritecoords,d7
move.l d7,(a0,d7*8)
dbra d6,.loop

The actual spritedrawing code then loops through coordbuffer, reads (coords), clears (coords) and builds up a dma-list using movem.l commands.

I tested several approaches of y-sorting. In the case of RESHOOT, as the sprite engine is used in a rather uncontrollable environment of a game, this solution in most cases was a considerably faster than sorting a coord-list.
Old 16 March 2016, 10:45   #26
DanScott
Lemon. / Core Design

Ah, like some kind of bucket-sort almost...

I did think about this, but for me (especially on the A500) ,the overhead of crawling through the entire buffer, could add a lot of cycles to the code.

Currently, my sort takes between 4 to 8 raster lines on an A500 for 32 sprites, depending on how unsorted the list becomes from frame to frame (generally not too unsorted as things don't move THAT fast)

My building of sprite DMA lists takes approx 12 raster lines (this includes movement update, as I can update the positions, write them back, and then have them in registers still ready for insert) for 32 sprites, and my culling (sprites out of screen bounds check, and removal from list) is another 4 or so lines...
Old 16 March 2016, 10:48   #27
DanScott
Lemon. / Core Design

-----------------------
Old 16 March 2016, 10:49   #28
majikeyric

@buzzybee : nice idea, how do you manage several objects with the same y coord for a frame ?
Old 16 March 2016, 10:52   #29
DanScott
Lemon. / Core Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asman View Post
Another approach . I hope that is ok.
Code:

.SortLoopOuter
		move.l	(a0)+,a1			; Get first address of sprite data
.SortLoopInner
		cmp.w	EB_YPos(a2),d0			; Compare Y position of sprite data 2 with Y position of sprite data 1 (in d0)
		ble.s	.NoSwap				; Important!! Less than OR equal = No Swap.. otherwise swaps forever equal values....
		move.l	a2,-8(a0)
		move.l	a1,a2
.NoSwap
		move.l	a2,a1
		dbf	d7,.SortLoopInner		; Loop through all sprite pointers
		bcs.s	.SortLoopOuter			; If flag is not 0, there was a swap in the last pass, so need to pass through again
.NoSort
Less read access but swap takes more cycles. If we assume that I didn't make a mistake.
Will certainy try this, as it is less likely to swap due to the nature of the sprite movement
Old 16 March 2016, 11:36   #30
buzzybee

@majikeyric: I scale the pointer by a factor of 4, so 4 sprites can be on the same line. Plus, the code checks if these four "slots" in spritebuffer are already occupied before writing coords. In yes-case, the code does a litte search for the best available slot; in most cases by adding y+1 and skipping the uppermost line of the sprite in the drawing code.

Also, the code reminds itself of the uppermost and lowermost sprite coords, and searches the buffer only within these y-coordinates / y-slots. Therefore not the whole buffer needs to be searched through every time; only the area between the lowest and highest sprite. This saves a lot of memory access.
Old 16 March 2016, 14:38   #31
Asman

Another one approach.
Code:

.SortLoopOuter
		move.l	(a0)+,a2			; Get first address of sprite data

.SortLoopInner
		move.l	a2,a1
		dbge.b	d6,.SortLoopInner		; Important!! Less than OR equal = No Swap.. otherwise swaps forever equal values....
		bmi.b	.checkFlag
		move.l	a2,-8(a0)
		move.l	a1,a2
		subq.w	#1,d6
		bpl.b	.SortLoopInner

.checkFlag
.NoSort
But in this case I'm not sure if above approach is correct. If there is no mistake then for nearly sorted list should be faster then previous one.

Do you have any statistics how many swaps (min - max) usually are done ?
And What is amount of OuterLoop (min - max). Then perhaps another sort method would be better.
Old 16 March 2016, 16:22   #32
DanScott
Lemon. / Core Design

No statistics yet, I am finding the winUAE debugger a little clunky to use at the moment.

I need to code up an on-screen text overlay for debugging.

Right now there is an error in my plexing code somewhere, with some sprites "flickering" at the top of the screen, so I am going to try and track down that bug before I look to implement any more optimisation that could make the code harder to follow

However, your latest should speed things up a bit more
Old 16 March 2016, 17:37   #33
DanScott
Lemon. / Core Design

Ok, bug fixed.. was not an actual bug in the code, but was a problem with setting a long-word constant in the assembler

back to optimising...
Old 16 March 2016, 17:39   #34
DanScott
Lemon. / Core Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asman View Post
Do you have any statistics how many swaps (min - max) usually are done ?
And What is amount of OuterLoop (min - max). Then perhaps another sort method would be better.

I think really, there would normally be a maximum of 1 or 2 per frame at most... only when a sprite passes another sprite.

Due to the nature of the way I will use this, most will be travelling in a downward direction on the screen... unless fired toward the player from the bottom.. but even so, I imagine a minimum number of swaps per update.. however, always good to have a system that can cope with any situation

when sprites are "triggered" and inserted, they are inserted at an already sorted position
Old 13 April 2016, 20:39   #35
Toni Galvez

Glad to see you coding again DanScott, i am sure you will do a very nice game.

As Chuck Rock 2, I hope you add balls tentacles and complete ingame soundtrack (MUSIC+SFX), I am sure the musicians will help you.
Old 04 May 2016, 14:33   #36
Asman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanScott View Post
Code:
		;	d0 = Screen X , d1 = Screen Y

lea	HW_SpriteXTable,a0
		lea	HW_SpriteYTable,a1

add.w	d0,d0
		add.w	d0,d0
		move.l	(a0,d0.w),d0
		add.w	d1,d1
		add.w	d1,d1
		or.l	(a1,d1.w),d0
You can replace XTable stuff (mean 2*add.w and move.l - it takes 26 cycles on 68000 and 2 read), with code
Code:
    add.w   #$80,d0
    lsr.w   #1,d0
    swap    d0
    clr.w   d0
    addx.w  d0,d0
It takes 28 cycles on 68000 and no read access. But if you store $80 in other data register you can save another 4 cycles and above block of code takes 24 cycles. And you can remove whole XTable
There is a possibility to save 4 cycles more if we assume that high word of D0 contains zero, then you can remove clr.w d0.
Old 04 May 2016, 20:16   #37
DanScott
Lemon. / Core Design

if I can save a couple of cycles per sprite, by having the $80 (or whatever x offset add) in a data reg, then that is cool... especially when there are 40 or 50 HW sprites to update each frame... every cycle counts and freeing 1.5k or so, of table is good too
Old 05 May 2016, 23:57   #38
Blueberry

If you change the or.l into add.l (the bits don't overlap anyway), then you can bake the $80 into the table (by adding $400000) and save the add completely.
Old 06 May 2016, 08:46   #39
Asman

Really nice optimization. Now If my calculation are correct, routine without beginning lea will take 48 cycles on 68000.
Another idea to save next 8 cycles is to remove 2* add.w d1,d1. Mean instead of storing just y then store y*4.
Code:
	lea	HW_SpriteYTable,a1

lsr.w	#1,d0
	swap	d0
	clr.w	d0
	addx.w	d0,d0
	add.l	(a1,d1.w),d0
Of course you can also store x value with same way (routine will take 36 cycles instead of 40c but requires more memory reads).
Old 06 May 2016, 20:14   #40
DanScott
Lemon. / Core Design

wow this is great some nice thinking there Blueberry & Asman

I am (coincidently) already storing my positions << 2, because I am using a 2 bit fractional value. I will need to AND out those 2 bits

I will look at working this magic into what I already have