English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 19 November 2019, 02:35   #1
xubidoo
Scoobydoo

mouse wheel problems

i have a ps2 compatible optical mouse with scroll-wheel, but damned if i can get it working, workbench 3.1 btw
im a total n00b when it comes to Workbench so pls bear with me

read lots of threads and none seem to help, have tried freewheel , and putting it into wb startup.. but is loads of other files do they ALL go into WB startup or just the main freewheel icon ? , tried all-sorts and nothing seems to make any diff.

The readme files, don't actually tell u how to install the program lo, i think they must assume ppl know what they are doing when it comes to installing programs, which i most certainly do not

if someone could help me out, id be very appreciative for the help.
Old 19 November 2019, 09:45   #2
thomas

At first you have to install the driver which belongs to your PS/2-Amiga adapter. Each such adapter has its own specific driver, so we can't help you with this if you don't tell us which adapter you use.

Once that's done you can try AWeb or DOpus or any other program which supports wheel movements natively. Only if those work you can make use of FreeWheel to let other programs like Workbench work with the wheel, too. You only need the FreeWheel program in WBStartup. The other files are for reference only.

FreeWheel is not a driver. It only converts wheel movements into scroll bar movements. For that to work you need the driver which feeds wheel movements into the system.
Old 19 November 2019, 18:08   #3
xubidoo
Scoobydoo

i dont have an adaptor, its just a ps2 compatible optical mouse , with what looks like the standard amiga 9 pin connector on it , label says by Microsoft.
trying to find some kind of driver without much luck

upload image
Old 19 November 2019, 21:40   #4
thomas

That label is not correct any more. Probably somebody opened the mouse, removed the USB/PS/2 electronics and soldered an Amiga connector to it. There are instructions to do this on the internet. PS/2 has a small round connector. The big 9-pin game port plug is not PS/2.

Anyway you still need to know how it was done and how the mouse wheel can be driven if at all. Most likely the wheel has no function any more now, except perhaps as a third button.
Old 19 November 2019, 21:48   #5
nogginthenog
Amigan

As far as I know ps2 mice are not compatible without an adapter. ps2 is a simple protocol so a cheap 8-bit cpu (PIC, Atmel etc) can do the conversion. These are small enough to fit inside the connector.

Can't open your link BTW.
Old 19 November 2019, 23:38   #6
xubidoo
Scoobydoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
That label is not correct any more. Probably somebody opened the mouse, removed the USB/PS/2 electronics and soldered an Amiga connector to it. There are instructions to do this on the internet. PS/2 has a small round connector. The big 9-pin game port plug is not PS/2.

Anyway you still need to know how it was done and how the mouse wheel can be driven if at all. Most likely the wheel has no function any more now, except perhaps as a third button.

Ahh i suppose that solves why i cant get it working lol , you are probably right, but slightly annoying that the wheel doesn't work, but maybe ill have to buy 1 that will work , anybody know if the Amigakit mice work using the mouse-wheel? or any other for that matter, as i don't want to buy another that wont work lol
Old 27 November 2019, 00:32   #7
Swe_Kryten2x4b

Quote:
Originally Posted by xubidoo View Post
Ahh i suppose that solves why i cant get it working lol , you are probably right, but slightly annoying that the wheel doesn't work, but maybe ill have to buy 1 that will work , anybody know if the Amigakit mice work using the mouse-wheel? or any other for that matter, as i don't want to buy another that wont work lol
The scroll-wheel works just fine on the amigakit mice. I use the black one myself. And now I notice they've fixed the link to the utility-disk with the driver necessary for the scrollwheel to work - I had a bit of a problem locating that earlier. Without that driver (and the scrollwheel commodity) the wheel is non-functional.

The rest works just as any amiga-mouse out of the box.
Old 27 November 2019, 17:57   #8
xubidoo
Scoobydoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swe_Kryten2x4b View Post
The scroll-wheel works just fine on the amigakit mice. I use the black one myself. And now I notice they've fixed the link to the utility-disk with the driver necessary for the scrollwheel to work - I had a bit of a problem locating that earlier. Without that driver (and the scrollwheel commodity) the wheel is non-functional.

The rest works just as any amiga-mouse out of the box.

Many thanks , will deff look into getting one of these then, bit pricey but if it works then maybe worth it anyway, can always keep my existing rodent for a backup