English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - General

Old 28 October 2019, 19:02   #41
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

First, my bad, I should mention that I use Chrome as main browser, and have not use Firefox in a while unless checking how web site shows in that browser. I also have Opera installed, but rarely use it.

Only reason I used Firefox older version some time ago was to use DownLoadThemAll extension. I still could not find anything similar in any other browser (by similar I mean easy to use) and now I have ubuntu VM with jDownloader for multi file downloads.

I just went through all google news site and did not find single instance of site being blocked because of adblock. I think I do see bit more ads, but nothing alarming.

Can be bothered to reproduce error on this computer with adblock.
Old 29 October 2019, 02:59   #42
SquawkBox
Speedbump gimme goosebump

Send a message via ICQ to SquawkBox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoonay View Post
it's got Enhanced Tracking Protection

With latest Firefox update, I sure has shiny armor kitteh level protection. Spammers out there beware .

Quote:
Originally Posted by malko View Post
As you seems to have a good knowledge about browsers, did one of you try "brave" ?
You may give a try to Vivaldi. YACBB (Yet Another Chromium Based Browser) but this one seems stylish and lean.

Quote:
Can be multiple thing, too old computer, junk in the temp filder... uninstall Chrome, clear temp, run Disk Cleanup (from Control Panel/Admin Tools), clear Storage (from Windows Settings/System/Storage) run "sfc /scannow"
And if all fails, try Tweaking.com - Windows Repair
My system acts like it should absolutely ignore Chrome installers in any shape or form, even with antivirus disabled. I have dozens of apps which installer runs without a hitch. Yet, be it the online Chrome updater or the standalone (offline) installer, neither would start nor even display an error message. Strange.

Last edited by SquawkBox; 29 October 2019 at 05:21.
Old 29 October 2019, 18:20   #43
SquawkBox

Quote:
Originally Posted by malko View Post
It seems to me that on some sites 'Disconnect' add-on has a better handling than nano ab+d
Better, I guess not. Let's say it has a different way of handling things. If you use latest Firefox, you could also give a try to the Temporary Containers add-on. I cannot test it with any of my oldish browsers, feel free to experiment. Concerning Pale Moon, I managed to install uBlock Origin, but Nano Defender is offered solely according to the WebExtentions APIs which implies Pale Moon users cannot use it, no matter what. As an approximation, we may use JustOff's Dismiss the Overlay. So you see, uBlockO team still cares about us frivolous Pale Moon users.

Code:
Open tabs, websites, and links in automatically managed disposable containers. Containers isolate data websites store (cookies, storage, and more) from each other, enhancing your privacy and security while you browse.

Last edited by SquawkBox; 30 October 2019 at 15:19.
Old 31 October 2019, 17:04   #44
SquawkBox

Ok, this is how I solved my issue with Chrome. 1) I noticed that the update directory was missing (update/GoogleUpdate.exe). I am not quite sure how it happened, but one thing is for certain, any attempt to patch up by copy-pasting the directory from another setup and then attempting to start up Google Update services would fail 2) I noticed that I had a "portable chrome updater" script in my apps folder (made by some German folks) downloaded a while ago 3) I ran the latest version of this script, this would forge an .exe which would consecutively allow me to download the latest version of any fork of Google Chromium, be it standard Chrome here labelled Chrome Stable, Canary Chrome, so on so forth in 32 or 64-bit occurrence in the language of my system (en-US Win7 here, hence en-US Chrome, I'd have liked the French version more but anyways). 4) Since I use the syncing service in Chrome, everything went smooth : I had my set of start up pages, installed plugins, preferences back in portable Chrome in no time. 5) Uninstalled Chrome v74. Done!

It's also possible to download a fully functional portable Chrome from portableapps.com but from this point on, the Chrome Updater route as described above is highly recommended.

Last edited by SquawkBox; 01 November 2019 at 04:21.
Old 31 October 2019, 23:18   #45
th4t1guy

Thanks for this thread. Knew about reek, but not nano-defender. I'm now running vivaldi + uBlock + nano defender, and so far it's working pretty good!

Does anyone know of a good solution for mobile Android? Right now I'm using FF + uBlock, but I have a feeling there may be something better out there.
Old 01 November 2019, 00:01   #46
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Quote:
Originally Posted by th4t1guy View Post
Does anyone know of a good solution for mobile Android?
https://blokada.org
Old 01 November 2019, 00:13   #47
CrazyPepsi

Chrome ! why dont get a gps in the head it is the same
Old 01 November 2019, 07:06   #48
th4t1guy

Quote:
Thanks. It looks like all traffic gets routed through this, which I'm not a huge fan of. Ideally, I'm looking for something a little more stand alone.
FF mobile supports addons, and I think Kiwi does as well (though I haven't used it). uBlock Origin seems to do alright in FF (saved me about 80% bandwidth! ), but AABK seemed like a bad idea trying to install on a phone. I may try to see how nano works on it, but I couldn't find any discussions about it in relation to mobile.
Old 01 November 2019, 09:59   #49
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Quote:
I'm looking for something a little more stand alone.
How "more standalone" can a standalone Android app get?
PS: you can configure it for specific apps only, specific filters only, enable/disable specific hosts, enable/disable custom dns...
Old 01 November 2019, 16:32   #50
th4t1guy

Quote:
How "more standalone" can a standalone Android app get?
PS: you can configure it for specific apps only, specific filters only, enable/disable specific hosts, enable/disable custom dns...
By "stand alone" I mean a program that does not interfere with other programs. So ideally a browser with addons, or a browser with ad blocking built in (provided it's not Brave).

The issue is not about if it can be configured, but more one of trusted source, permissions, etc. We could argue technical merits on a bunch of different points, but what it boils down to is I would not be comfortable running this on the same device that controls dual-auth, shopping, banking, etc.

But I'm not trying to be entirely dismissive here. If I had a home tablet, I would definitely look at using this. Right now it's just a bit outside my use-case.
Old 01 November 2019, 16:56   #51
Shoonay
Global Caturator

If you can provide evidence Blokada is not to be trusted, do so, as many people will be interested in such research.

Until then, you're left with modified browser apps or browser extensions on Android.
Old 01 November 2019, 17:08   #52
SquawkBox

th4t1guy, peruse the thread better, you could have ! I did mention the AdBlock browser for android (2-in-1 browser so to speak,
as mentioned in one of the above posts), didn't I ? It's from the folks who offer AdBlock Plus, so I think it may fill the bill...
Just make sure to disable "acceptable ads" if you don't want these.

Last edited by SquawkBox; 02 November 2019 at 07:09.
Old 08 November 2019, 21:41   #53
markpjd
Games-Coffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
Using an ad blocker is going about things the wrong way in my opinion. Why not just avoid shit websites? That's what I do.
I do run some adverts on my site, be it very small and non-intrusive ad's. This aims to cover hosting costs (although it doesn't even make it as far as that). It also goes towards the likes of competitions and such, which I have not managed to do in a while.

The revenue has pretty much collapsed to nothing these days.

A lot of sites do rely on advert income in order to stay active, I mean why not? If they are providing something free to the user at the end of the day, then so be it.

My issue is this, and I believe this is what has let a lot of honest people down: Some sites are BOMBARDED with adverts, more adverts than content, and several running all over the screen at the same time. I went to a site once and I couldn't even type on their forum because the adverts had slowed my computer down to a crawl. I admit, I use adblock for sites like this.
Old Yesterday, 17:36   #54
Ferehey_Fire

Using Chrome here with uBlock origin and ad-block plus.

It never fails to startle me when I see someone online without an ad-blocker. Even every day sites like eBay just look an absolute horror show without a decent ad-blocker.
Old Yesterday, 19:35   #55
th4t1guy

Just to follow up with my mobile question earlier, I started using Kiwi browser + nano adblock + nano defender extensions. So far it's been working really well for me.
Old Yesterday, 22:02   #56
redblade
Zone Friend

Quote:
By "stand alone" I mean a program that does not interfere with other programs. So ideally a browser with addons, or a browser with ad blocking built in (provided it's not Brave).
What's wrong with Brave browser? I ditched firefox and use brave now. No more ads on youtube