English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 11 November 2019, 19:59   #1
rue

AA plus documents / Chipset info

While I was refreshing my memory looking through Amiga history for I came across something I'd not seen before and wondered if anyone knew anything about it.

It's two images that appear to come from a single page of a document specifying the AA+ chipset. The page is dated 14th May 1992. They're hosted on obligement.free.fr site and touch on a little bit of the improved featureset and what their plan was to condense the AA chipset and other components into a trio of ASICs.

Note they repeatedly refer to the CIAs as VIAs (synonyms?) so I am wondering about the validity of it but thought it was worth an ask since I'd quite like to read it. Does anyone have the complete document or other extracts of it? Like the Hombre or AAA docs I think it'd be interesting to have a closer look at this and see what they were thinking of doing at the time.

Also: Over more recent years we've heard from other people in CBM such as Porter who kind of opened my eyes about the debacle of the CDTV (in execution - not necessarily concept) and the cost of the A500. Is anyone aware if any interviews from the chipset guys in Commodore (names such as: Raible, Thomas, Shen, Shanson) have came up?

http://obligement.free.fr/gfx2/ariel_belle_debi.jpg
http://obligement.free.fr/gfx2/ariel_belle_debi2.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ariel_belle_debi.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	240.7 KB
ID:	65142   Click image for larger version

Name:	ariel_belle_debi2.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	293.8 KB
ID:	65143  
Old 12 November 2019, 12:51   #2
Marle
Pixel Vixen

It was also discussed in the May/June 1993 issue of Amiga User International with Lew Eggebrecht VP of Engineering at the time detailing more about it.

It was canned with AAA in late 1993.