English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - Technical

Old 06 November 2019, 20:29   #1
jmmijo

External USB Enclosure

So to consolidate things and not have so many external USB HDD"s that were getting hot since they were stacked onto each, I got one of these devices from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's a 5-Bay external enclosure with an option to do RAID 0 or RAID 1 for the first two HDD's

I then ripped out the HDD's from Seagate units and installed them all into the first four bays leaving the 5th one open for expansion.

I setup the mode to single drive use rather then RAID and powered it on.

After about 20 ~ 30 seconds all the HDD's showed up with their ORIGINAL disk names and share names intact and working.

The enclosure is aluminum but the HDD trays are plastic

However it does come with a pair of cooling fans which seem to be very quiet, probably thermally controlled.

If all goes good within the next 30 days then I will get another one for my other computer.
Old 06 November 2019, 21:04   #2
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Only one i have experience with is Synology NAS device (2 disks) and we are using it for ~4 years now without any issues.

This does seem very interesting. I might get one just for backup/storage purpose, since I have bunch of 2GB disks laying around.

At first I was wondering, why didn't you get RAID 5 version, but then when you said that all disk shows with data, I assume you don't want to move/reformat disks. This does seem very interesting solution for storage. What I am not sure is if this is software or hardware RAID.

ATM I am considering options on building computer before new year and for start will only have 2 SSD and possibly 1 hybrid disk. This might be probably better option to keep heat out of case.
Old 06 November 2019, 22:34   #3
jmmijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
Only one i have experience with is Synology NAS device (2 disks) and we are using it for ~4 years now without any issues.

This does seem very interesting. I might get one just for backup/storage purpose, since I have bunch of 2GB disks laying around.

At first I was wondering, why didn't you get RAID 5 version, but then when you said that all disk shows with data, I assume you don't want to move/reformat disks. This does seem very interesting solution for storage. What I am not sure is if this is software or hardware RAID.

ATM I am considering options on building computer before new year and for start will only have 2 SSD and possibly 1 hybrid disk. This might be probably better option to keep heat out of case.
Could not state if its Software or Hardware RAID, I suspect Hardware due to a mechanical switch on the back of the unit that shows RAID 0 or RAID 1 or SINGLE.

The default is SINGLE for this model.

They also make IP based NAS devices along with some ENTERPRISE units in RACK format.

As a side note, the build quality is excellent, just the HDD trays are pretty cheap due to being molded PLASTIC, they work fine but I was hoping for metal to sink the heat away better but perhaps they did testing with the cooling fans and found no difference ?