English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - General

Old 15 October 2019, 17:58   #21
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 005AGIMA View Post
I'll check out that video in the morning.

Using Spectaculator 30 day trial for windows at the moment to just test it out.
http://www.spectaculator.com/downloads/

Once I turned on the FULL load sequence as if loading from Tape, and turned ON the full "TV Effects", all on my new 15" Laptop, I must say, Im impressed.

What better use for a Ryzen 5 than 8 Bit colour clash goodness?
I always joked with jmmijo that his uber-pc is perfect to run 100% C64 emulation.

Spectaculator is great speccy emu, but since I have this thing of not paying for emulators or something you can get for free, I am using ZXSpin and Fuse, as well fuse port on retroarch and all systems that use it.

I did the same, and it was fun waiting for game to load, just like back in the day. Sometimes I do the same with C64 emulation.
Old 16 October 2019, 03:44   #22
005AGIMA
Re-loading. Please wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
I always joked with jmmijo that his uber-pc is perfect to run 100% C64 emulation.

Spectaculator is great speccy emu, but since I have this thing of not paying for emulators or something you can get for free, I am using ZXSpin and Fuse, as well fuse port on retroarch and all systems that use it.

I did the same, and it was fun waiting for game to load, just like back in the day. Sometimes I do the same with C64 emulation.
Yeah I knew there were others, but Spectaculator is one I'd heard good things about so was the first I trusted the download with

Thanks for the heads up though. I'll give ZX Spin a....erm....spin

If it looks as good, I may use it.

But while I understand the "why pay for something that is free", if the paid product truly is better, it's not like they're asking much money.

Same reason I didn't mind paying for AF which I know is controversial around here lol

But yeah good fun to play with. The main reason I jumped into that is because I want the experience of returning to the Amiga in december to be in context. Before my Amiga, I had a Spectrum +3, so im tinkering with the idea of playing NOTHING but spectrum games until my December trip
Old 02 November 2019, 10:07   #23
SquawkBox
Speedbump gimme goosebump

Send a message via ICQ to SquawkBox
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquawkBox View Post
someone at Classic Retro Games made a surprisingly competent PC port of Soldier Of Light aka Xain'D Sleena
As a matter of fact, it's from a defunct company called Blackened Interactive, the remake is simply featured on the trigger-happy repository Classic Retro Games, among other retro remakes or re-creations. Before going ashtray, Blackened managed to offer a seemingly interesting 'asteroids meets defender meets thrust' game called Gravitron II (not a freebie, so you will have to get the full version from Steam if you happen to really enjoy the gameplay sequence).

[ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by SquawkBox; 02 November 2019 at 21:23.
Old 03 November 2019, 14:48   #24
Daedalus

Still, 14MB isn't a massive amount in modern terms. Relative to the original, it's a lot of bloat, yes, but it can be downloaded in seconds, and is less than a rounding error in the free space reading of any modern storage device, or even in a system's free RAM. Bloat, if it negatively effects the user experience, is a bad thing. If it results in an enjoyable experience with no (size-related) negatives, then it's all good, especially if it may never have happened in the first place.

Anyway, to answer the original question, I rarely get any time to play games these days, but when I do, it's usually Elite: Dangerous, or Microsoft Flight Sim X. Jurassic World Evolution gets a look-in once in a while too.
Old 03 November 2019, 17:24   #25
SquawkBox
Speedbump gimme goosebump

Send a message via ICQ to SquawkBox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
Relative to the original, it's a lot of bloat
Not trying to sound witty here but aside from the arcade cabinet itself, there is no "original" per se. The rom was never meant to be played from a PeeCee, let alone a PC fitted with a LCD monitor. That's just a convenience offered by the MAME team (even the remake switches right from the start to a lower resolution, which isn't great for gaming on a regular LCD). Everyone's free to grab it or not, to elaborate endlessly about these two or three additional MB it weights , when all said and done, it's miles better than the various ports out there. X-0ut'06 did a great job IMHO. Also, it doesn't play (as in display) like the coin op game since it will adjust according to one's GPU capabilities, plus the author offers two unlockable game modes. Another difference consists in game time (countdown to finish missions) being fixed, whereas dip switches could allow you to alter it.

Excerpts from the ReadMe :
Code:
Only capable machines will get shader effects ofcourse.
I recomend a minimum of 64mb ram, and a 16mb gfx card with opengl support.
Low end users be warned - the image qualit option requires more ram!
Code:
There are unlockable game modes.
Completion of the main game will reward you with 'SHMUP' mode,
then completing 'SHMUP' mode will reward you with 'SURVIVOR' mode.
Old 03 November 2019, 18:00   #26
Daedalus

Yeah, I was also gonna talk about that too, basically having to include an emulator with the game to produce a comparable executable, but it's all good.