English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 12 February 2013, 16:06   #1
Toof

A1200 video port RGB problem

My old 14 inch CRT tv failed yesterday whilst connected to my trusty A1200 via an RGB scart cable. There was a faint smell of burning from the tv and the tube whistled and went pop.

Long story short, the Amiga will now only output video via composite and rf, which are both perfect. If I try the scart, all I get is a dark grey/black screen with a very very faint ghost image of the boot screen. The cable has been tested on my A600 and it works fine, plus there's no obvious injury to the motherboard that I can see. Anyone know what's likely to have failed?
Old 12 February 2013, 16:23   #2
demolition
Unregistered User

Since you have a picture on composite and RF, there should be some good RGB signals in the Amiga somewhere.
I'm thinking either R232A/B/C or E258/E259/E260 are blown. Could also be the output voltages if the TV does receive RGBS but does not turn on the input if it doesn't see a voltage. So what you're seeing is just crosstalk.
Check for 5V on pin 23 and 12V on pin 22 on the Amiga RGB port.
Old 12 February 2013, 16:34   #3
Toof

Thanks for that, I'll check the voltages when I get in .
Old 12 February 2013, 17:47   #4
Toof

Right, voltages are both good and the TV does switch to the correct input when the amiga is powered on.
Old 12 February 2013, 20:10   #5
demolition
Unregistered User

Next you should measure the resistance in R232A, R232B and R232C (should be 25 ohms) as well as E258R, E259R and E260R (should be low). Also check E253R which is for the sync signal (should be 47 ohms).
Old 15 February 2013, 14:41   #6
Hewitson

I doubt the tube whistled and popped, it was probably a capacitor.
Old 16 February 2013, 03:06   #7
Toof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
I doubt the tube whistled and popped, it was probably a capacitor.
That was more a general statement than specific diagnosis . The set was about 18 years old, so it had a good run. Anyway, I'll do more testing, as suggested, over the weekend and see if I can isolate the problem with the video output. Been a bit hectic this week.
Old 04 March 2013, 16:59   #8
Toof

Sorry for the delay in sorting this, but anyway it turned out to be E253R. Replaced it and all is well. Thanks guys.

Off topic, but revelling in this minor victory, I completely recapped the board over the weekend, which was a good learning experience. I used the twist off method and found it very straight forward. Didn't fancy messing with hot air. The slight stability issues I had are now gone
Old 04 March 2013, 17:36   #9
videofx

Nice work!

Any idea how to fix a similar problem on my 4000T? The machine appears to boot but no video on the 23pin on board video or a Picasso IV in video slot which works in my other 4000.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 11 March 2013, 02:46   #10
Prosonic

i recently purchased an amiga 1200 that has ment to have working rgb only no compasite or rf out, via scart i get no output to a commodore 1084 monitor, if i remove the resister in the cable i get a faint outline of my workbench icons, should i be checking the above as well to try repair?
Old 17 March 2013, 23:29   #11
Mr Plow

A1200 - Video Problem

Hi everyone,

I've been trying to get an Amiga 1200 I bought around 10 years ago up and running but having a peculiar issue with the video display. I can get a signal out of the RF modulator without a problem, the picture and sound comes through fine but when using the composite or RGB I just get a black screen. I've tried a few things to get it working including disconnecting the floppy drive (which appears to be faulty and needs replacing anyway) and removing the RF shield in case it was shorting something on the motherboard but still no joy. I've upgraded the kickstart roms to 3.1 and these are working fine and I've had a close look at the motherboard to check for damaged caps but to my untrained eye there doesn't appear to be any bulging or dull connections.

After dragging down my old Philips CM8833 from the loft which amazingly still works the RGB output shows a diagonally rolling white line, I thought I'd check to make sure the three LCD TVs I tried were incompatible or something.

Any idea what could cause something like this? Maybe a dodgy cable but the odds of both my RGB and RF cables being faulty are pretty low I'd think.
Old 18 March 2013, 06:09   #12
Loedown
Precious & fragile things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Plow View Post
Hi everyone,

I've been trying to get an Amiga 1200 I bought around 10 years ago up and running but having a peculiar issue with the video display. I can get a signal out of the RF modulator without a problem, the picture and sound comes through fine but when using the composite or RGB I just get a black screen. I've tried a few things to get it working including disconnecting the floppy drive (which appears to be faulty and needs replacing anyway) and removing the RF shield in case it was shorting something on the motherboard but still no joy. I've upgraded the kickstart roms to 3.1 and these are working fine and I've had a close look at the motherboard to check for damaged caps but to my untrained eye there doesn't appear to be any bulging or dull connections.

After dragging down my old Philips CM8833 from the loft which amazingly still works the RGB output shows a diagonally rolling white line, I thought I'd check to make sure the three LCD TVs I tried were incompatible or something.

Any idea what could cause something like this? Maybe a dodgy cable but the odds of both my RGB and RF cables being faulty are pretty low I'd think.
Most likely you have a horizontal sync issue with the monitor, older sets and monitors used to have the horizontal adjustment on the back but I would dare say that it's internal on that monitor.

Leaking caps give a smell like well matured urine or dead fish and there's often like a fluff type substance near the leaks, especially the 10uF and 22uF caps in the cluster near the video section.
Old 18 March 2013, 06:27   #13
john1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loedown View Post
Most likely you have a horizontal sync issue with the monitor, older sets and monitors used to have the horizontal adjustment on the back but I would dare say that it's internal on that monitor.
That would imply his LCD TVs that he tried are incompatible with the Amiga, which they aren't.

It's a fault on the Amiga side.
Old 18 March 2013, 14:00   #14
Loedown

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1979 View Post
That would imply his LCD TVs that he tried are incompatible with the Amiga, which they aren't.

It's a fault on the Amiga side.
Maybe not but it still sounds like a sync problem.
Old 18 March 2013, 17:20   #15
Mr Plow

I'll try and get hold of a multimeter and check out the resistors as suggested for Toof's problem. Regarding the Philips monitor, it works fine with my other consoles via Scart so I don't think the problem lies there but thanks for the suggestion.
Old 19 March 2013, 05:27   #16
Loedown

Horizontal tearing is caused by a lack of sync and you're talking about antiquated hardware that does fail due to even things like resistor drift, crystals drift as well with time.

On the DB 23 you have Vsync and Hsync and if those signals aren't getting through it's certainly not going to synch and by rotating the Hsync on the monitor you may have gotten a clear picture and been able to ascertain that the fault lies with the Amiga where it's just out of frequency or close to the border.

We can only do our best by solving these problems but without the unit in front of us it does make it difficult.