English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 22 December 2008, 02:37   #1
JackTheKnife
Amiga Fetish

Thumbs down Screen resolution in games

I have a screen resolution size issue in games but on real A500. Is there any way to fix this? All games looks like bigger then 26" TV Some of them are not playable (I can not see top/bottom part of the screen). Are there some PAL or NTSC only games or what? This TV doesn't have video align adjustment
Old 22 December 2008, 10:15   #2
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackTheKnife View Post
I have a screen resolution size issue in games but on real A500. Is there any way to fix this? All games looks like bigger then 26" TV Some of them are not playable (I can not see top/bottom part of the screen). Are there some PAL or NTSC only games or what? This TV doesn't have video align adjustment
What about WorkBench?
If Workbench is fine, then it must just be the games.

Also how you running it? RF or RGB?
Old 22 December 2008, 13:17   #3
JackTheKnife
Amiga Fetish

WB also I need to adjust, but there was a Prefs so I can set up and save for later. But there is nothing like game PAL varsio only (I'm in US)?

I am using composite so far, but put an order on RGB to S-Video adaptor

Last edited by JackTheKnife; 22 December 2008 at 13:24.
Old 22 December 2008, 16:47   #4
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
WB also I need to adjust, but there was a Prefs so I can set up and save for later. But there is nothing like game PAL varsio only (I'm in US)?

I am using composite so far, but put an order on RGB to S-Video adaptor
Well if you had to adjust workbench, then you either have a problem with your miggy or tv.
From what I remember, NTSC only effects the colour system not the position of the screen.
Old 22 December 2008, 17:37   #5
JackTheKnife
Amiga Fetish

Well, CDTV welcome screen or Kickstart boot screen comes at correct position, only CLI or WB looks like moved to the right side and high is to big (little bit at the top and bottom). Games too.

Maybe something I can do to the system-settings file from a floppy with a game?
Old 22 December 2008, 18:09   #6
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
Well, CDTV welcome screen or Kickstart boot screen comes at correct position, only CLI or WB looks like moved to the right side and high is to big (little bit at the top and bottom). Games too.

Maybe something I can do to the system-settings file from a floppy with a game?
Only if its a CLI game (dos). If its NDOS, you got no chance.

You got a HDD? if so what happens with a WHDLoad game?
Old 22 December 2008, 20:06   #7
JackTheKnife
Amiga Fetish

I do not have HDD, but I bought A1200 yesterday on eBay then I can use WHDLoad Back to A500 and CLI games (like UGH!) how can I set up system-settings file from that floppy?
Old 23 December 2008, 07:18   #8
Sune Salminen
Dinamáquina

You can't set the screen position in games with any system utility.

The problem is with your TV or the way it's connected to the Amiga.
Old 23 December 2008, 10:19   #9
haynor666
retro maniac

Remove back case from your TV, there you can probably made some adjustments.
Old 23 December 2008, 14:55   #10
JackTheKnife
Amiga Fetish

How about CopyPrefs from WB to the game floppy? Or to edit them somehow. I can set up overscan for WB so I can do this for "DOS games". NDOS games only move little bit to the right, but this is not a big issue.
Old 24 December 2008, 01:38   #11
JackTheKnife
Amiga Fetish

Quote:
Originally Posted by haynor View Post
Remove back case from your TV, there you can probably made some adjustments.
I have opened, but I can not to find any set-up resistors only for picture tube voltage
Old 24 December 2008, 02:36   #12
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
I have opened, but I can not to find any set-up resistors only for picture tube voltage
Well, I wouldnt mess with your tv, cause you normally have to mess with settings while its on, and I dont thing you want the chance of having 27KV running through your body. Besides, most modern tv's use a digital setup, meaning all adjustments are done from a service menu (not inside the set).

Why not try an RGB scart, as thats a universal system, then maybe you could use the early boot menu to set it to pal each time you boot.
Old 24 December 2008, 02:43   #13
JackTheKnife
Amiga Fetish

I do not have SCART-in, I am living in USA :P I had once in Poland but not here. Anyway I bought this: http://cgi.ebay.com/Arcade-RGB-CGA-t...3A1%7C294%3A50 and I am wiating for A1200 so I can do early boot menu PAL/NTSC switch.
Old 24 December 2008, 03:06   #14
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
I do not have SCART-in, I am living in USA :P I had once in Poland but not here. Anyway I bought this: http://cgi.ebay.com/Arcade-RGB-CGA-t...3A1%7C294%3A50 and I am wiating for A1200 so I can do early boot menu PAL/NTSC switch.
Odd, it must be old, not to have a scart socket.
Old 24 December 2008, 03:23   #15
JackTheKnife
Amiga Fetish

Only RCA (video-in) and I have 3 CRT TVs and all of them have only RCA or S-Video. Even LCD TV by Sharp has not SCART - here it is useless.
Old 24 December 2008, 07:36   #16
haynor666
retro maniac

Yep, that's why some US version of consoles has S-Video not RGB, because in US most TV don't have RGB
Old 31 December 2008, 12:18   #17
moondynejoe

You are having a problem with the amount of overscanning set by the teleivion set.

Overscanning is in existance in order to prevent the viewer seeing any kind of bars or geometry issues on the image.

Imagine that you have the resolution of yourt\ miggy set to 640x480 now an older style crt television (and due to legacy reasons newer plasma and LCD) set will have an amount of overscan set internally that willl "eat" a number of horisontal and vertical pixels. Imagine that with overscan you will be seeing only 600x400 lines of image as the overscan is eating the rest.

There are a number of reasons why this happens but it is all about legacy issues ie. old television sets that have geometery issues where the screen is not square or sumsuch. older transmissions sometimes carried information in this area which is also an issue.

All this brings us to 2008 with new digital standards and 1:1 pixel mapping but remember that your miggy is built to display on standard ntsc or pal televisions and as such will suffer overscan issues.

Its an annoying problem but not one i can see a solution too unless your tv set gives acess to the overscan amount (some sets and projectors definately do). most of these controls are handled internally and it is possible sometimes to get acess to them but is not recommmended for an untrained person.

i know this does not help with this problem but at least i hope it helps you undewrstand why it is happening, short of trying another tv set with less overscan theres not too much you can do.

regards.
Old 31 December 2008, 12:22   #18
moondynejoe

Forgot to mention that the overscan amount can vary by brsnd and even connection type so you may be able to imrove the amount o lost image.

also it sounds to me that your tv has a very large overscan amount set at the factory i myself had a set like this and i personally found it untolerable.

recomendation is to get an indivision aga scan double flicker fixer and use an lcd monitor, they really are as good as people say they are.