English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 13 September 2012, 12:22   #1
Kola

Anyone still making Amiga games for 500 / 1200?

Just getting back into my amiga big style.

Im interested to know if any new programmers still write for the 1200?

If not anyone interested?
Old 13 September 2012, 17:45   #2
Kola

No replies? Not like EAB?

Guessing no ones doing this?
Old 13 September 2012, 17:49   #3
commodorejohn
Shameless recidivist

Well, it was only five hours, you know.

I've got a couple projects in the planning stages, but I haven't gotten down to code yet. I know Cammy has a big interest in the topic as well, I dunno if she's actively working on anything at the moment.
Old 13 September 2012, 17:53   #4
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodorejohn View Post
Well, it was only five hours, you know.
Yeah buddy, jeez, relax.
SQRXZ was recently ported to the Amiga.
Old 13 September 2012, 17:56   #5
s2325
Zone Friend

Some nice 2 new platform games: Cornelius Saves Christmas http://hol.abime.net/5784 and Downfall http://hol.abime.net/5911 but don't expect Flimbo's Quest quality.
Old 13 September 2012, 18:24   #6
Kola

Hi guys, there you all are !! haha

This is great news. Im a musician and wondering if I could offer up any services for sound effects and music etc.

I must admit I have no clue to how you get music into a game. IE I can write music in octamed and hand over a file, and I can make the file to a specific size but its all new to me as far as writing for the amiga goes.

I can also produce sound FX as Amiga 8 bit samples. This is no problem at all.

If I can be any help please get in touch. If you already music'd up, well great, ill download your game anyhow and be thankful your keeping the 1200 moving forward.

Some of the best games ever were made by a coder, a musician and a graphic artist, maybe a few others. These days a Xbox 360 game credits reads like a film score. I dunno, I was always more impressed (and still am) by the demo scene where very little produced very much. Im rambling now.
Old 13 September 2012, 18:34   #7
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

@Kola
Generally games use some derivative of Soundtracker modules, rather than Octamed.

Look up my game Mr Beanbag if you haven't already, plenty of music in that!
Old 13 September 2012, 19:23   #8
spud

*ahem*

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=65481

Old 13 September 2012, 20:37   #9
Kola

Mrs Beanbag, how do you mean a dirivertive of soundtracker moduals? Any advice appreciated. Id love there to be an active gaming scene on the 1200 again. Id love to contribute.

Spud, thanks, I replied there
Old 13 September 2012, 20:41   #10
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kola View Post
Mrs Beanbag, how do you mean a dirivertive of soundtracker moduals?
Games can use whatever music format there is. There is no rule to use Soundtracker (or Protracker rather these days) modules. And (Octa)Med can actually be considered a Protracker derivative since it "borrows" a lot of concepts from said tracker. What Mrs Beanbag probably meant was that for 68000 games 4 channel modules should be used.
Old 13 September 2012, 20:44   #11
Kola

Cheers Stingray.

Yeah would no doubt only want to use octamed but only 4 tracks to keep size down.

Mind I guess its 3 tracks and a sound fx track
Old 13 September 2012, 21:04   #12
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

Games can use Octamed 4 channel mods of course, but Soundtracker is generally preferred because the playroutine is more lightweight. Octamed has a lot of features that are great for the musician, but involve more CPU overhead. See here for various reasons why: http://amigasoftware.wikidot.com/octamed

By Soundtracker derivative I mean things like Protracker, Noisetracker etc, where the module format is almost exactly the same and often mutually compatible (Sountracker mods will load straight into Protracker without any conversion). Octamed is based on the same concepts but the file format is different to allow more features.

All four channels can be used in game music, as long as you don't mind one channel dropping out when a sound effect plays. Mr Beanbag uses the bass channel to do sound effects, and you don't notice it too much when playing.
Old 13 September 2012, 21:31   #13
Kola

Hi Mrs Bean bag/

Thanks for that. I actually started out on Pro tracker back in 1990. But my set up grew and I needed to accommodate MIDI synths so moved over to octamed and eventually med soundstudio what I believe was the last version of the Amiga 1200.

I remember protracker well. It had level meters that hovered over each of the 4 tracks. Ah, happy days. My mate give me three sample disks and it was amazing how much you could wring from so little. Then I got Techno sound sampler and compiled my own. I was on an A500 with standard ram back then. Couldn't afford the half meg upgrade lol.

What version of Protracker do you recommend if im to write music for A1200 games. Soaking up what even info you can give me like a sponge :]
Old 13 September 2012, 21:41   #14
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Quote:
Just getting back into my amiga big style.

Im interested to know if any new programmers still write for the 1200?
We do.

Quote:
Hi guys, there you all are !! haha

This is great news. Im a musician and wondering if I could offer up any services for sound effects and music etc.
Musician is always welcome in our team, as well ad graphicians! Now we wait until our leader comes to a programming mood
Old 13 September 2012, 21:46   #15
Kola

Hi mate.

What games are you currently constructing?

I think ill stick to sound effects first. Something I can do well and mean time practice my protracker skills.

So if you need a sound fx guy give me a shout. That goes for anyone. Just tell me what you require and ill sort it out for you. (life stuff permitting time frame of course)

My fee is to simply be credited.
Old 13 September 2012, 21:54   #16
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
I must awake Graham Humphrey.
Old 13 September 2012, 22:02   #17
Graham Humphrey

I am awake

Nothing going yet, I have a project in mind and will start soon. We did Downfall which has a massive great big thread further down in the very same section as this one

More information will follow when I get to the appropriate stage of the project (and we're on the look out for any coders too so we can have more than one game being written at any one time. At the minute, if I don't code nobody in our team does...).
Old 13 September 2012, 22:14   #18
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Beanbag View Post
By Soundtracker derivative I mean things like Protracker, Noisetracker etc, where the module format is almost exactly the same and often mutually compatible (Sountracker mods will load straight into Protracker without any conversion).
Sorry to be nitpicking but even though you can load Soundtracker mods into Protracker it doesn't mean that they'll sound correct!
Also, the original Protracker replay isn't exactly fast either.

Anyway, (Octa)Med or any other format can be used for games, it's not fixed to any #?tracker format. There are lots of games that use non-tracked music!
Old 13 September 2012, 22:17   #19
Lonewolf10
AMOS Extensions Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Humphrey View Post
At the minute, if I don't code nobody in our team does...).
hey?!

I code... just putting the finishing touches to my Audio Beast tool (written in AMOS) and am in the process of slowly writing up a design document for a game I intend to make shortly (entirely in ASM). Does anyone here have access (or a summary) of what goes into a design document? At present I'm just adding bits here and there as ideas come to me.

As for group stuff, I did code the Downfall Level Editor, but noone in our team appears to have bothered trying it out (as I have received zero feedback about it) so I haven't released it publicly...
Old 13 September 2012, 22:28   #20
Graham Humphrey

Sorry... please accept my humble apologies

Yes, to my great shame the Downfall level editor totally and utterly slipped my mind. I really ought to check it out. I got so wrapped up in making the game itself I totally forgot about it and when I finished writing it I to be honest I was rather sick of the sight of it having worked on it so intensely.

Anyway I am very interested to hear you've got something in the pipeline and I really look forward to seeing what you've got in mind. (As for design documents, the closest I've ever got is some scrawls on a couple of sides of A4...)