English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 28 November 2006, 15:57   #1
coze
hastala vista winny vista

Send a message via ICQ to coze Send a message via Yahoo to coze
Building a scart cable

Recently I've just acquired a nice xrgb-2 "upscan converter" (read : scan doubler). I have tested the composite input and it works nice with my amiga, but of course I'ld like to use the rgb port instead so I set my self to building a amiga rgb - japanese scart cable. I checked some pinouts on the net, some mention use of some resistors, while some don't. What are these resistors for ? can I get away without them ?

http://www.omega.ntnu.no/~kamben/hwb/ca_AmigaScart.html
http://www.jeacle.ie/pub/articles/scart/
Old 28 November 2006, 16:03   #2
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

The resistors are used mainly to bring the +12v power line down to the +1v and +3v required on the AUTOSWITCH and FASTBLANKING signals.

If I were you I would try without anything connected to AUTOSWITCH(8) or FAST BLANKING(16) pins on the SCART (as in the second webpage) but you may get a blank screen.

If you choose to use them without resistors you risk damaging your shiney new XRGB thingy

Auto-switch(8) is also WSS (Widescreen signalling) get the wrong voltage on that and you may get the XRGB thing stretching your image?
Old 28 November 2006, 16:44   #3
pbareges

yes ! i also bought an xrgb box and just connected red, green, blue, ground, and composite sync from what i remember!! the result is really awesome!! ...do no hesitate to ask for more help if needed...i will try to remember in details...good luck!!
in previous posts, i submitted the links i used for the wires----

japanese:
http://www.gamesx.com/avpinouts/rgb21pinj.htm

euro:
http://www.selkirkshire.demon.co.uk/...sat/scart.html

good luck!
Old 04 December 2006, 16:38   #4
coze
hastala vista winny vista

Send a message via ICQ to coze Send a message via Yahoo to coze
Ok, I just built the cable with rgb and composite sync and their respective GNDs connected. I get a good picture, but there is still a faint flickering. (and my eizo lcd screen complains about syncing down to 49Hz) is it about my screen ? or did I mess up the cable (bad contacts ?) ?
I didn't connect autoswitch cause it's not necessary. And what is blanking for ?
The second link in my first post mentions some resistors on the rgb channels and composite sync. Would these increase image quality ? (and why resistors on both sides of composite sync ?)
so many questions
Old 04 December 2006, 17:23   #5
Jope
-

The x-rgb2 will always flicker a bit.. A CRT will work better than a LCD.

And yes, not all monitors will sync that low.
Old 04 December 2006, 17:34   #6
pbareges

Quote:
Originally Posted by coze
Ok, I just built the cable with rgb and composite sync and their respective GNDs connected. I get a good picture, but there is still a faint flickering. (and my eizo lcd screen complains about syncing down to 49Hz) is it about my screen ? or did I mess up the cable (bad contacts ?) ?
I didn't connect autoswitch cause it's not necessary. And what is blanking for ?
The second link in my first post mentions some resistors on the rgb channels and composite sync. Would these increase image quality ? (and why resistors on both sides of composite sync ?)
so many questions
i first tried to use xrgb2 with a LCD myself but i had two main issues, i was not able to extend the size of the screen to overscan (because of the auto screen setup) and when moving very fast ,scrolling rendering was really ugly... so i decided to plug it to a good old CRT....and the result was perfect clear!! but you have to go through the fine tuning process that can be quite long to master all xrg2 features..your first move should be to switch the xrg2 output to the higher hsync frequence (above 40Khz from what i remember) to improve image stability...then find the good lines balancing ( i think the best i found is to let one line out of 2 black to get the same kind of output as old 15Khz monitors with 256 lines) to avoid slime graphics and get sharp rendering..then adjust sharpness to avoid foggy / flashy graphics, finally brightnee/black balance will help you adjust brigtness & contrast..the final touch would be to fine tune the colors...about the wiring , i did not use any resistor and everyting is fine...i don't think i connected anything but the ones you did.