English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 15 September 2006, 03:12   #1
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

Some Interesting Triva

After reading the debocle of the 25 Q'n'A seesion with Bill McEwen, i needed a pick me up so i googled some amiga trivia and well... heres some thing that might interest you

Steve Jobs (CEO of APPLE) was shown the original prototype for the first Amiga (Amiga 1000) before it had been purchased by Commodore, and said there was "too much hardware". He was working on Macintosh at the time.

Two of the designers of the original Amiga, RJ Mical and Dave Needle, would later go on to design the Atari Lynx, giving it a framebuffer based display with a blitter very similar to that in the Amiga. The two would also go on to work on the 3DO Interactive Multiplayer.

When Great Valley Products first released their 68030 accelerator board for the Amiga 2000, it ran Apple's MacOS faster than any real Mac. (that prolly because theres too much hardware)

but thinking of it though, Imagine if Apple had picked up Amiga before CBM ?... where would it be today? now that is food for thought..

and heres a little more to dream with

Amigas are still used in many theme park installations, mainly at Universal Studios in Hollywood and Florida and Disney World, using Richmond Sound Design's show and sound control software (see the related Wikipedia article on Amiga software).
Old 08 October 2006, 03:22   #2
JohnnyWalker
aka ThunderPeel2001

Interesting!
Old 08 October 2006, 11:37   #3
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetr0
but thinking of it though, Imagine if Apple had picked up Amiga before CBM ?... where would it be today? now that is food for thought..
If that had have happened the Amiga hardware would have been dead long before it actually was and the number of great Amiga games titles would have been almost zero. Apple MAC familiy were mainly aimed as buisness machines. The Amiga would have been overpriced, the A500 would have never been made and it would have never made it into peoples houses. How many europeans had ANY Apple MAC hardware as a home computer between 1985 and 1989?

The Atari ST would have gone un-rivalled and gone on to be one of the most successful home computer and games machines of its age. Perhaps even stemming Atari CORPS demise.
Old 09 October 2006, 02:58   #4
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

OR

it may have MADE apple a home name in 1985 by ginving them a cost effective home computer that with atleast a smidge of marketing could'n go wrong!,

Hmm i wonder what they would of called it.
Apple Amiga ? hmmm you know i rekon it would probly been called the Apple Commodore 512 LOL

yeah... i know that in my heart your porlly right alexh.... but my friend... i can dream of such things....
Old 09 October 2006, 03:42   #5
boing_1000
A1000 Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh
If that had have happened the Amiga hardware would have been dead long before it actually was and the number of great Amiga games titles would have been almost zero. Apple MAC familiy were mainly aimed as buisness machines. The Amiga would have been overpriced, the A500 would have never been made and it would have never made it into peoples houses. How many europeans had ANY Apple MAC hardware as a home computer between 1985 and 1989?

The Atari ST would have gone un-rivalled and gone on to be one of the most successful home computer and games machines of its age. Perhaps even stemming Atari CORPS demise.
Yeah I agree with you man. Apple would have overpriced it up the wazoo as they usually do. I'm a college student and if I wanted to buy a MacBook Pro, they would only give me like a 200 dollar discount off the computer.
Old 13 October 2006, 08:19   #6
Dizzy
Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetr0

Hmm i wonder what they would of called it.
Apple Amiga ? hmmm you know i rekon it would probly been called the Apple Commodore 512 LOL

Well they would have had some problems calling it Apple Commodore since they would only have bought the amiga technology (not the Commodore Corp.)

But mayby Amiga Apple or MACmiga 500

I think that Alexh is right, but I dont think that atari would have gone un-rivalled. Commodore would have developed the C128 and made it a stronger machine so mayby we would have seen a C256 and C512 and C1024 etc
Old 13 October 2006, 10:06   #7
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

Only thing with that that though dizzy, I would imagine they would of been PC chips they use....

still it would of been nice to have a decent opperating system LOL
Old 13 October 2006, 10:17   #8
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

@Dizzy

The next machine was to be the C65 remember?