English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 02 March 2003, 21:41   #1
THX1138
Amiga Centurai

Amiga vs Pc....My ass !!!!

Ok......everybody on here seems to have had there rant about
the ongoing subject Amiga vs The PC.

Now it is my turn to put my two penny's worth in (hope you aint all too bored of this subject..........of course your not !!!)

I joined this forum in November 2002 as i got interested in the
Amiga again (first time for 10 years)

Up until then i have been using a pc as i am today.

My Pc is a kickass beast and there is nothing it can't do !

But one day i got sick of spending money on my pc and this
is where i got interested back into the Amiga.

As a lot of you probably know,i have been buying Amiga models,hardware & software with one purpose in mind.....

To take the Amiga as far as possible to see what it can do and to personalise it ! (not to make it into a pc !!!!)

Anyway lets start..........

Anybody that writes "Amiga vs Pc is" an idiot (i know i wrote it above.....but it was because most of you out there label it this way)

Anybody who thinks like that shouldn't even be on this forum.

Amiga's are a passion to a lot of people on here,hence why they
have created this superb community for us all to thrive in.

There is no point in saying pc's can do this......can an Amiga do that !.......doh....what a stupid argument !!

The amiga doesn't have to live up to todays pc's (although it does
manage quite well....all thing considered)

Its like cars......you wouldn't say how does a Mercedes 500 SL (1982) measure up in against a brand new Ford Mondeo !!

It doesn't have too.....the Mercedes was a classic......the Ford
Mondeo is not !!!

Same with the Amiga.......its a classic......the Pc isn't !!

You won't be looking back in ten years time and saying gosh
"i really wish i had one of those pc things again"

Think about it.........
Old 02 March 2003, 21:59   #2
Drake1009

I think most everyone here is quite aware of that THX. Yes it does measure up quite nicely to the PCs even though there's a huge age difference. I've never really been too interested in the Amiga vs. PC threads but as far as I can tell mostly it's comparisons at the time, why did the PC actually win over the Amiga back then, and trying to see what the big difference between a PC and an Amiga is, capability wise. I sure hope none of the PC vs. Amiga threads are about seeing how a juiced up Amiga goes against a PC. Yes it might actually be more stable and such but I think most everyone here knows there's a world of difference.
Old 02 March 2003, 22:04   #3
THX1138
Amiga Centurai

I know they a are quite aware......but if you read the first bit
of my post.....it said i wanted to put my 2 penny's worth in....ok !!!

It has got nothing to do with a basic Amiga and Pc or a Juiced up
Amiga and PC !!!

That is not what i am trying to get at !!

They shouldn't even be compared in the first place !!
Old 02 March 2003, 22:33   #4
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Quote:
Yes it might actually be more stable and such but I think most everyone here knows there's a world of difference.
Yes, the Amiga is a world better than the PC

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
Old 02 March 2003, 22:37   #5
THX1138
Amiga Centurai

I'm not trying to say the Amiga is better.......
Old 02 March 2003, 22:57   #6
oldpx

My nokia 3310 ownz

Old 03 March 2003, 01:12   #7
Unknown_K

Send a message via ICQ to Unknown_K
Not exactly sure what the point of this thread is.

A few points:

Same with the Amiga.......its a classic......the Pc isn't !!

""You won't be looking back in ten years time and saying gosh
"i really wish i had one of those pc things again"

Think about it.........""

I went out of my way to piece together a 386/40 with all the sound cards and a good video card to play my old DOS classics again. While I dont marvel at the old PC architecture, I do love the games that I played when I was younger on the original equipment as it was meant to play/look/sound. The DOS PC games are as "classic" as any of the amiga games.

I keep my amiga 500 and 1200 stock (well as far as whats needed to play games) to enjoy the old classics on original equipment just like I do for my old PC's.

Some people like turning the classic amiga's into tower machines with crazy PPC upgrades and PCI slots etc, to personalize thier system. IF you want to turn a classic amiga into a run of the mill pc looking contraption then enjoy. I like the way they looked from the factory (the gaming models 500/1200) and keep mine that way.

To sum it up, I always liked the games and aplications more then the hardware they came on.
Old 03 March 2003, 01:25   #8
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Quote:
Originally posted by THX1138
I'm not trying to say the Amiga is better.......
I know, I was just joking.
Old 03 March 2003, 12:46   #9
manicx

For me, the difference is in the user culture... The Amiga culture is miles ahead the one of the PC usres' one...
Old 03 March 2003, 22:45   #10
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Quote:
Originally posted by Unknown_K
The DOS PC games are as "classic" as any of the amiga games.
I don't think so!
Old 03 March 2003, 23:22   #11
Unknown_K

Quote:
Originally posted by Twistin'Ghost
I don't think so!
Yea well, what do you know.

There are quite a few DOS games that are truly classic. Im not saying every DOS game is classic but every amiga game wasnt good either.

I could care less what platform a game is on, I like the good games!!!!!!!
Old 04 March 2003, 06:35   #12
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Quote:
Yea well, what do you know.

There are quite a few DOS games that are truly classic. Im not saying every DOS game is classic but every amiga game wasnt good either.

I could care less what platform a game is on, I like the good games!!!!!!!
Well, that's quite a ways different from what you actually did say, which was...
Quote:
The DOS PC games are as "classic" as any of the amiga games.
I don't think so.
Old 04 March 2003, 20:26   #13
th4t1guy

Quick! Someone alert the forum police of inconsistencies!
Old 04 March 2003, 21:28   #14
Unknown_K

Quote:
Originally posted by Kada
i don't know how many amiga developers there are on this board, but anyway.... i agree totally to this thread, and i think that all amiga game developers should re-consider too. why compete with the PC??? why the hell are amiga developers porting crap PC games to amiga at all!!?? take nightlong for example.... i haven't played this game yet, but i can asure you that the PC original was quickly forgotten. why, oh WHY doesn't amiga developers focus on making ORIGINAL and FUN games on amiga, like they did 10 years ago? do they really need 3D graphics, AHI sound and speed requirements over 266 mhz to make a fun AMIGA game?

i say this... let's go back to 320x256 PAL screens with AGA graphics and focus on REAL amiga games, instead of some weird pseudo pc/amiga mixture. this is one of the reasons i've recently started coding C/C++ on amiga

Are you on crack? Why would somebody even bother making games on a system that has been dead for years with basically no PAYING user base? Developers follow the money, and thats in PC games and consoles. There are millions of mac users and they have to settle for 1% of the PC releases for games. Developers play it safe and make games for the masses because thats where the money is at. Why do you think games like myst and hunting games stay on the best seller lists for years (or how about the sims).
Old 05 March 2003, 06:48   #15
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Quote:
Are you on crack? Why would somebody even bother making games on a system that has been dead for years with basically no PAYING user base?
Passion?

I think you are missing his point. He's not saying new developers should come to the Amiga and start creating the games he describes. Rather, he's addressing the existing Amiga developers (over the last several years, anyway) who are content to release PC rehashes, rather than marching to the beat of a different drummer.
Old 05 March 2003, 07:08   #16
Unknown_K

Quote:
Originally posted by Twistin'Ghost
Passion?

I think you are missing his point. He's not saying new developers should come to the Amiga and start creating the games he describes. Rather, he's addressing the existing Amiga developers (over the last several years, anyway) who are content to release PC rehashes, rather than marching to the beat of a different drummer.
Maybe your missing the point. Those developers would make more money releasing crappy games for the PC then making a quality game for the Amiga. Since they develope for a living they have to do it on a platform they can make money at. There are probably a few that write code at home because its fun, but its not for money.

The reason YOU dont quit your day job and develope for the amiga platform is the reason why just about everybody else has left it.. there is no money into it. The "think different" argument is used by companies like apple that cant compete on price, speed, software, and features.

Just like the older classics systems, Atari 2600, Colecovision, Atari 800, Commodore 64, nintendo, sega saturn etc once the hardware is dead development stops. People and companies move on.
Old 05 March 2003, 07:31   #17
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Quote:
Maybe your missing the point. Those developers would make more money releasing crappy games for the PC then making a quality game for the Amiga. Since they develope for a living they have to do it on a platform they can make money at. There are probably a few that write code at home because its fun, but its not for money.
No offense, but that was spoken like a true dipshit. I am not missing any point at all - I was explaining to you the perspective of the man's post! Relax, willya? And in case you aren't aware of it, there are some people in the world who give a damn about quality. Just because the biggest market exists in one huge box doesn't mean that for every person, that box is the only place to exist. There are tiny niche markets in all entertainment media and for each exists a niche array of artists who are not interested in ONLY money! Thankfully, the lowest common denominator machine cannot eliminate these evil free thinkers!
Quote:
The reason YOU dont quit your day job and develope for the amiga platform is the reason why just about everybody else has left it.. there is no money into it. The "think different" argument is used by companies like apple that cant compete on price, speed, software, and features.
The reason I don't quit my job and develop for the Amiga is because I am not a developer. I am a musician. And as a musician, I have chosen to be independent. This means that I have turned my back on the money machine that dictates how an artist looks and sounds, a system that dictates every aspect of a music artist's career. Some people take that ride and become the flavor of the week, get ripped off by corporate pigs, then fall by the wayside (like most dot.com ventures).

O sing ye praises of the almighty dollar sign, Unknown_K. It may have it's cashstrings in your soul, but not mine. You can't take it with you...
Quote:
Just like the older classics systems, Atari 2600, Colecovision, Atari 800, Commodore 64, nintendo, sega saturn etc once the hardware is dead development stops. People and companies move on.
Companies may move on, the masses may move on...but the world does not swallow up its history and pretend it never existed. You are only viewing it through your corporate kaleidoscope.
Old 05 March 2003, 07:52   #18
Tim Janssen

Lightbulb Think about this...

In GAMES TM this month an interesting article appeared about developers who are still developing games for 'dead' systems.
In an answer to the question about their motives, an Amiga developer answered:

"I rather prefer that our games are popular with thousands of Amiga users than being ignored by millions of anonymous PC users."

Says it all, really.
Old 05 March 2003, 09:00   #19
Amigaboy

Thread will be closed if this little episode continues
Play nice boys

Old 05 March 2003, 09:32   #20
Pyromania

Re: Think about this...

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Janssen
In GAMES TM this month an interesting article appeared about developers who are still developing games for 'dead' systems.
In an answer to the question about their motives, an Amiga developer answered:

"I rather prefer that our games are popular with thousands of Amiga users than being ignored by millions of anonymous PC users."

Says it all, really.
All very true TJ. In the PC games market even if you create a quality game with a nice balance of great game play, nice graphics and good design you run a very big risk of no one ever finding out about your game. In a world where game shelf space is purchased at a premium before even one sale is made the dream of a talented group of coders developing a game for Windows and getting rich are over. Amidst the flood of RTS and FPS games your unique well-designed game runs a very big risk of being ignored totally. The desensitized PC gamer most likely will not appreciate your efforts and will just pirate your game anyway if they even find out about it at all.