English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 05 March 2018, 13:05   #1
SimonV

Fusion 3.x and Phase 5 scsi ... does it even work ?

So I decided that I wanted to reset my Amiga a thousand times this weekend and give mac emulation a go ...

Since I can't get shapeshifter to work past booting from an install cd ... Fusion it is.

But here it comes. If I install my original Fusion 3.1 the cdrom connected to my blizzard 2060scsi.device doesn't work. Fusion says "improper device for cdrom". Ok ... I then installed the Fusion 3.1 that's on Amiga Format AFCD50 over my install and automagically it works. I have to wonder what's different ...

Unfortunatly I am not done yet because I want to go online with Fusion and therefore I need to upgrade to Fusion 3.2. And again the blizzard scsi does not work. It either gives me that error message OR Fusion seems to get started but it doesn't switch to the mac screen ( memory and DF0: get reserved ) and although the machine isn't really frozen I can't do anything.

Mea culpa, I don't have an original 3.2 but I of course will gladly buy and original one if I could AND if I knew it would solve my problem. Not sure if the one in the zone with the serial number is an original one or not. But anyway my own 3.1 isn't and it has this problem also.

For now I solved it by putting another scsi card in my A2500 but obviously I don't like having another scsi board in my A2500 for no good reason.

That said I tried this already:

- upgraded my blizzard2060 to the last 8.5 rom .. didn't change a thing.
- Different cdrom players including an original external Apple 300e ... all the same and yes everything works under workbench and is terminated as it should.
- Played a bit with scsi setting of the drive with unitcontrol ... nothing.

If I google the error message I only seem to end up with people that have Phase 5 scsi hardware. So for some reason Fusion doesn't like it.
Old 05 March 2018, 19:55   #2
gulliver
BoingBagged

I only had bad experiences with Fusion on an Amiga. For one reason or another I could never get it to work reliably. And in my case it was the one that came with Amiga Format.

I ended up using ShapeShifter which worked right out for me.

Where I used Fusion succesfully was on an IBM PC with MS-DOS. I believe I still have that cdrom somewhere.

Keep in mind this was a couple of decades ago...I am starting to feel old
Old 05 March 2018, 20:52   #3
emufan

not sure if this will help, but try rsrvkick from the attachement of this post.
Fusion Extras.zip -> F31rsv21/rsrvkick

there are two version as you already found out.
one with the serial, the other one by Digital Corruption.
IIRC the one with the serial does work somehow better.
Old 06 March 2018, 22:33   #4
SimonV

I already had that in my startup-sequence ... not sure what it would change to the cdrom usage ?
Old 12 March 2018, 14:30   #5
SimonV

I just ended up replacing my A2065 network card for my XSURF with IDE port ... that has no problems whatsoever. I have no idea what the problems is ... seems Fusion and Phas5 scsi don't like each other.
Old 20 March 2018, 05:14   #6
JimDrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
But here it comes. If I install my original Fusion 3.1 the cdrom connected to my blizzard 2060scsi.device doesn't work. Fusion says "improper device for cdrom". Ok ... I then installed the Fusion 3.1 that's on Amiga Format AFCD50 over my install and automagically it works. I have to wonder what's different ...
The difference is one is legal and the other is not. The bad crack doesn't work, and often times people think that FUSION in general has issues when in fact the real issue is that someone is using a bad pirated/cracked version.
Old 20 March 2018, 08:02   #7
Romanujan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
I don't have an original 3.2 but I of course will gladly buy and original one if I could AND if I knew it would solve my problem.
Years ago I have tried to purchase original Fusion, but failed... it seems no one sells it anymore Please let us know if you manage to find a license source.

BTW, I literally hate this - software developers should be obligated to release the software as freeware, without any copyright protection, when they decide to stop selling it. Otherwise in 100 years the IT archeologists will have a really hard time...
Old 21 March 2018, 03:57   #8
JimDrew

Well, that's not the reality of how things work in the U.S. (or other countries). However, I will be selling an all new FUSION and PCx in the future. I have been waiting on the Replay 2, 68060 daughter board, and new super fast FPGA 68040 emulation for the Replay to be released - and that is happening pretty soon now.
Old 21 March 2018, 11:09   #9
cmsj

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew View Post
Well, that's not the reality of how things work in the U.S. (or other countries). However, I will be selling an all new FUSION and PCx in the future. I have been waiting on the Replay 2, 68060 daughter board, and new super fast FPGA 68040 emulation for the Replay to be released - and that is happening pretty soon now.
OOI, why wait?
Old 22 March 2018, 16:26   #10
Romanujan

Quote:
I have been waiting on the Replay 2, 68060 daughter board, and new super fast FPGA 68040 emulation for the Replay to be released - and that is happening pretty soon now.
Well, I used to wait for FPGA Arcade too, several years ago... never managed to purchase it, despite their web page telling "now in stock, check our distributors" :/
Old 22 March 2018, 18:26   #11
JimDrew

I sold a lot of the Replay 1, and then Mike discontinued it for the new Replay 2 that is now going to production. There is a 68060 daughter board in production currently for the Replay 1. I will have those shortly. This gives you another 64MB of RAM, the 68060 socket, Ethernet, USB, etc. etc. It plugs into the Replay 1 board.
Old 22 March 2018, 19:56   #12
Romanujan

I know, I even tried to buy one - unfortunately, you were selling them in US only...
Old 23 March 2018, 17:59   #13
JimDrew

There are other distributors selling them outside of North America.
Old 23 March 2018, 20:11   #14
Romanujan

We've got Amedia, in France - never seen FPGA Arcade in stock there, though.

Regarding FPGA hardware - I have managed to buy MiST, and recently Terasic DE1-nano (aka MiSTer) with all the daughter boards. But, unfortunately, not FPGA Arcade...
Old 23 March 2018, 23:39   #15
amigoun

Quote:
However, I will be selling an all new FUSION and PCx in the future. I have been waiting on the Replay 2, 68060 daughter board, and new super fast FPGA 68040 emulation for the Replay to be released - and that is happening pretty soon now.
Its quite a long time since you announced updated version of PCx and Fusion. All that waiting is that you want to make sure the software works on those Replay 060 / Replay2 ?
Any news regarding new features?
Old 24 March 2018, 00:55   #16
JimDrew

Actually, there have been many reasons for the delay. First, it's not my job anymore (although I am trying to work towards that direction). Second, I spent quite a bit of time helping debug some Apollo core stuff and adding extra '68080' specific instructions into PCx and testing many interations. I don't need to wait on the Replay 1 daughter board (68060) or the Replay 2 board for a release because I know my software will just work.

I have to say that I am ticked off at finding my copyrighted software in an archive that has been actively provided/supported by the Apollo/Vampire people. I have had a ton of people contact me directly stating that they would like new versions of FUSION and PCx that does have Vampire support though. I am still up in the air on the whole Vampire thing, especially in light of what has happened. There are some open source FPGA solutions on the horizon though, so things are looking up for fast Amiga emulations and I would like to be part of that.

In the mean time, I have scoured the internet and have asked various sites to remove everything I have ever written, including demo versions that were once publicly available. None of the other (cracked) stuff should have been available.
Old 24 March 2018, 17:35   #17
Romanujan

Quote:
In the mean time, I have scoured the internet and have asked various sites to remove everything I have ever written, including demo versions that were once publicly available.
And this is really sad. That's how we lose bits of our IT culture and legacy...
Old 24 March 2018, 17:46   #18
JimDrew

No, that's how you remove piracy. These programs will still be in the hands of legitimate owners. Unless you were a commercial hardware/software producer you wouldn't even understand.
Old 24 March 2018, 23:28   #19
Romanujan

Well - the reality is, that I work for a commercial software producer, as a developer

Taking down pirated software which decreases authors income is one thing (IMHO still not always OK; some PC games I purchased long time ago can be played on modern systems only if a crack is applied, from my point of view this is unacceptable) - taking down the software which was either free (like demo versions - these weren't even pirated...), or basically abandoned (not sold any more since a long time and so outdated, that is now interesting mainly for historic reasons) is something completely different. And, for a retrocomputing fan, it will always be very sad.
Old 25 March 2018, 00:49   #20
JimDrew

This is the attitude that kills the motivation of the owners of commercial entities to produce anything. Just because something is old, not supported, or no longer available does not somehow void the original copyright and make it ok to distribute it! In the U.S., copyrights last the life of the copyright holder, plus an additional 75 years (with rights belonging to the heirs of the original copyright holder). History is not lost because pirated versions are removed from circulation - that is a poor argument. There will always be originals.