English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 31 August 2016, 14:31   #1
RadCazz

No Boing

Hello. I owned an A500 many moons ago. I'm trying to relive some of my fond memories of this amazing machine by using WinUAE 64-bit. I have Boing demo in rar format. It contains Boing, Boing.info and boing.samples. What do I do to get it to run?

I have some games I've downloaded, like Pool of Radiance and they boot up just fine using Kickstart 1.3

I have tried reading the faqs and other forums first.

I'm sure it's something simple I'm missing but I don't remember the Amiga that well.

Thank you.

Old 31 August 2016, 15:29   #2
emufan

hi, the games you have are most likely bootable adf / floppy images.
the rar with the single files are not, but you should unpack the rar archive, and just drag and drop the boing file into the running emulation window. ( when there is a loaded workbench, a new diskicon may appear, with the file).
or you can choose the file as df0: - should work too, not tested - so it will boot and start the file choosen.
this does work with single executable files, in most cases.
but it does fail here in my test, so you may try an adf with those old wb demos,
including boing ball.
the floppy does not autoboot, so you need a workbench disk and start the workbench first (wb 1.3 tested). put the early-wb-demo adf into df1:
btw. the boing demo starts in a background screen, so once started, you
must switch workbench screen in the back to see the boing ball ( right mouse starts it )

and this: we are not allowed to share workbench/kickstart disk/files - copyright thing - but a brave soul may help one way or theother.
Old 31 August 2016, 19:28   #3
thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadCazz View Post
Hello. I owned an A500 many moons ago. I'm trying to relive some of my fond memories of this amazing machine by using WinUAE 64-bit. I have Boing demo in rar format. It contains Boing, Boing.info and boing.samples. What do I do to get it to run?

I have some games I've downloaded, like Pool of Radiance and they boot up just fine using Kickstart 1.3

I have tried reading the faqs and other forums first.

I'm sure it's something simple I'm missing but I don't remember the Amiga that well.

Thank you.

Select A500 most common from the quickstart menu. Then go to the harddrives page, click on "add directory or archive", "select archive", and select boing.rar.

When you click on Start it shold show a DOS window with a command prompt. At the prompt enter boing and press enter.

Like emufan mentioned, the boing demo should actually be run from Workbench. So if you have a Workbench 1.3 ADF, insert it into DF0 before you click on Start. Then the boing.rar should appear as harddrive on the desktop and you can run Boing by double click on its icon.
Old 31 August 2016, 22:44   #4
RadCazz

Thank you both thomas (my actual name for real ha ha ha) and emufan for your replies!

My problem was that although I selected a path for the rom, I did not have Workbench. Well, actually I have Workbench but not a working Amiga 500 (thanks to Hurricane Sandy and flooding). I hope it's okay that I found a downloadable working copy of Workbench on Skynet (Google) lol to use in WinUAE. I own the originals but they don't work.

BUT I got the demo to run thanks to your help! Wow! Brings back memories. I can remember bringing my friends over to my house to show the boing demo. Good times.

Now, I have one last question. Is there an animated gif of the boing demo? If not, I'll work on making one.

Thanks again guys

Old 01 September 2016, 01:11   #5
emufan

np. about the gif - there were some folks already making one, for example here.
if you want make your own, use the avi-saver of winuae ( F12 - Output - Avi Output Enabled).
to make a gif out of it you can use ffmpeg (ffmpeg -i boing.avi boing.gif)

#1) dont tell anyone about the workbench, but i think it is ok anyway
Old 01 September 2016, 12:12   #6
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadCazz View Post
My problem was that although I selected a path for the rom, I did not have Workbench. Well, actually I have Workbench but not a working Amiga 500 (thanks to Hurricane Sandy and flooding). s
To start Boing not need any Workbench, you can copy it to a bootable floppy disk and run it directly, to create the GIF just capture animation from Windows and then convert the video to GIF.
Old 02 September 2016, 12:47   #7
Tomislav

Also you can use keys <Amiga>+N and <Amiga>+M to switch between Workbench and other screen.
Old 02 September 2016, 14:13   #8
AMIGASYSTEM

Also, if you do start floppy A1200 do not need to do anything, no window will be open, and no function key must

[ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 03 September 2016 at 15:20.
Old 02 September 2016, 20:24   #9
emufan

just saw a video with RJ Mical - he talked about the Boing demo, and the worst thing,
the stupidest thing they did - related to that demo.
I never recognised it this way, but he is absolutely right, saying so
Old 03 September 2016, 02:03   #10
RadCazz

Thanks guys for all the info and links! I really enjoyed them. With the supplied info above (emufan) I was able to make an avatar 90x90 pixels of the boing ball. Unfortunately this website doesn't allow animations as I found out. Oh well.

Well, I'm off to ebay to browse what amiga hardware/software I can get... within my budget.

Thanks again for all your replies! I really appreciate it!

If you want the boing.gif I made at different resolutions feel free to pm me. I'd be happy to make it!

Old 03 September 2016, 12:08   #11
Tomislav

I see GIF animation. You need to block photobucket.com to see it. I have NoScript and when photobucket is allowed I don't see animation. And I suggest you to stop using photobucket - it is javascript nightmare.