English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.AmigaOS

Old 26 October 2023, 16:08   #1
tomcat666
Retro Freak

AmigaDOS problems with scripting and double quotes

Hi

We are trying to do a whdload launcher that would use a database to get all the options and then execute a script that in the end actually launches WHDLoad. The script is used so that people can customize it as they want.
However we have problem with parsing the double quotes " inside the script. On OS 3.2 it seems to be working fine when we use the substituon (escaping) of " with *" , example (ECHO "$TT" is the correct usage) :

But when the same code is run on 3.1 we get this:

And no usage will work.

Is there any way to use this on OS 3.1 in scripting ?

btw. the actual line CONFIG="aaa;ccc" nocache is passed over to the script using a WHDARGS parameter which is gotten with this key:

.key FOLDER,SLAVE/A,WNC/S,WEC/S,NOTURBO/S,NFC/S,SC/S,ICNT/N,MHZ/N,WHD/K,WHDARGS/F
Old 26 October 2023, 16:37   #2
patrik

Out of curiosity, is the content of the TT env identical in 3.2 and 3.1? You should be able to view it with the GetEnv command.
Old 26 October 2023, 16:38   #3
thomas

Interesting. I first tried with "aaa;ccc" only. Then the result is the other way round, with quotes I got the full string, without it was truncated at the ;

Anyway, this seems to be a bug of the Echo command. Use getenv instead.

And BTW, for simple variables you should use set/get instead of setenv/getenv. SetEnv is only useful to save global settings. Or if there is no other possibility than to write to a variable with >env:xxx
Old 26 October 2023, 17:02   #4
DisasterIncarna

never actually tried before but can amigaos use single quotes in place of doubles like you can in linux scripts where you are able to mix/match them?
Old 26 October 2023, 17:04   #5
hooverphonique
ex. demoscener "Bigmama"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisasterIncarna View Post
never actually tried before but can amigaos use single quotes in place of doubles like you can in linux scripts where you are able to mix/match them?
In shells commonly used on Linux, single and double quotes mean different things, so you can't actually mix and match them.
Old 26 October 2023, 17:08   #6
tomcat666
Retro Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrik View Post
Out of curiosity, is the content of the TT env identical in 3.2 and 3.1? You should be able to view it with the GetEnv command.
Yes, it is the same on both 3.2 and 3.1:

Old 26 October 2023, 17:15   #7
DisasterIncarna

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooverphonique View Post
In shells commonly used on Linux, single and double quotes mean different things, so you can't actually mix and match them.
i probably understand them wrong then, but a few scripts ive made where i use double quotes and i still need to use more quotes ive wrapped doubles in singles. cant think of any example atm except part of this recent one i have lying around.

Code:
  # No PATH Found, add PATH to .bashrc
  echo 'if [ -d "$HOME/.local/bin" ] ; then' >> $HOME/.bashrc
  echo 'PATH="$HOME/.local/bin:$PATH"' >> $HOME/.bashrc
  echo 'fi' >> $HOME/.bashrc
  echo "PATH was not set to check $HOME/.local/bin for scripts/commands, this has been corrected."
  echo "** You need to close this terminal window and re-open for changes to take effect **"
  exit
cant even remember why i had to add single and double quotes (1st line with echo), i think a filename or folder with a space in it most likely made it not work properly without both added in.
Old 26 October 2023, 17:17   #8
DisasterIncarna

does the CONFIG= actually need quotes at all? is this specifically for catching spaces?

Also are you trying to get your script to launch WHDLoad and the options normally found in the icon tooltypes? can you not use something like WBRUN to launch the slaves icon which has the options/config for that game and even launches WHDLoad from the project icon?
Old 26 October 2023, 19:24   #9
tomcat666
Retro Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
Interesting. I first tried with "aaa;ccc" only. Then the result is the other way round, with quotes I got the full string, without it was truncated at the ;

And BTW, for simple variables you should use set/get instead of setenv/getenv. SetEnv is only useful to save global settings. Or if there is no other possibility than to write to a variable with >env:xxx
Yes, using SET inside my script instead I got it to work. As mentioned here it is an actual bug in the ECHO command, and by not overcomplicating it I got it to work now

Thanx everyone!
Old 26 October 2023, 19:24   #10
tomcat666
Retro Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisasterIncarna View Post
does the CONFIG= actually need quotes at all? is this specifically for catching spaces?

Also are you trying to get your script to launch WHDLoad and the options normally found in the icon tooltypes? can you not use something like WBRUN to launch the slaves icon which has the options/config for that game and even launches WHDLoad from the project icon?
Yes, CONFIG needs quotes because of the ; character inside... it doesn't need them only if used as ToolType.

WBRun doesn't come into play because the script is used by the wrapper which must work with both CLI and ICON start...
Old 26 October 2023, 22:31   #11
Thomas Richter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post

The "echo" command does surprisingly little. This sounds more like a defect (one of many) of the 3.1 shell. What likely happens is that the shell blindly expands the variable, removes the quotes and then puts the result into the shell parser. The ";" in the middle of the string is then read by the remaining shell parser as introduction of a comment, and stripped off.