English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General

Old 26 June 2012, 04:06   #1
commodorejohn
Shameless recidivist

Any decent Amiga IDE?

Now that I've got my A1200 online and can easily download and install stuff, I'd like to get into Amiga development, which I've been meaning to do for some time. I've got vbcc installed and working, but I'm having trouble tracking down a decent IDE for it. I'm not looking for anything particularly fancy (no function-call lookup tooltips or what-have-you, though syntax highlighting would be nice,) nor something like CubicIDE that I'd have to buy an RTG and upgrade to AOS3.5 just to run; I just need a simple program to edit code, maintain makefiles, and build projects.

AmIDE sounds like exactly what I'd want, but the Sourceforge page doesn't include any binaries, I don't have a toolchain for cross-compilation, and the last binary on Aminet is from 2001 and only supports SaS-C. Anybody know where I can get a newer build?
Old 26 June 2012, 09:28   #2
phx
Natteravn

AFAIK CubicIDE is the only full blown IDE which works with vbcc.

If you cannot run it, then you should get the editor, GoldEd, as a standalone program. It does syntax-highlighting and you can write some ARexx scripts to compile your sources out of the editor.

Makefiles are not so hard to write them yourself. It also has the big advantage that Makefiles are portable and you won't depend on the project build system of a specific IDE.
Old 26 June 2012, 13:10   #3
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

Storm C++ (version 3 or higher) is very good,

you might also be interested in the Warp3d Demo's (including code) thats available.

I remember back in the day having a few hours sorting out dependencies - (mainly down to directories incorrectly assigned)

but I would rate it, its a good program and even has some help files =)

[edit]

sorry I thought you were compiling on the target system - not cross compiling.... for most cross compiling I use eclipse as an IDE for my C/C++ and Context for when I am doing Assembly.
Old 26 June 2012, 17:36   #4
commodorejohn
Shameless recidivist

No, I am compiling on the target system, I just don't want to have to shell out for upgrades merely to be able to run CubicIDE.
Old 26 June 2012, 17:40   #5
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

I have never run CubicIDE before,

I was old-skool with Dice and Lattice command line, but I found Storm C++ (version 3) was very good, I think there is a version 4 as well...

I bought the original Storm C++ V3.0 from Hauge and Partner at the time... a whopping £100 inlcuding manual and gold-burned CD LOL!

ahhh heady days! - I still get that buzz when I hold the box in my hand!
Old 27 June 2012, 04:27   #6
NovaCoder

I've used both Storm v4 and CubicIDE on my 1200.

It depends on what you class as 'decent'

StormC works 'ok' for small projects (I used it for my recent DOOM port and my DOTT port) but it failed to build larger projects (eg the latest version of ScummVM). It was also too slow and the IDE was too small to compile large projects anyway.

I never managed to get CubicIDE to produce anything that worked properly

I'm now using AmiDevCPP BTW (gcc).
Old 27 June 2012, 05:13   #7
commodorejohn
Shameless recidivist

StormC is an integrated compiler/IDE though, isn't it? I'm more looking for something that will keep me from having to bother maintaining makefiles for vbcc projects, I've already got the compiler I want. AmiDevCPP looks nifty, but I'd rather build right on the target platform; it makes testing easier.
Old 27 June 2012, 07:52   #8
NovaCoder

If you want to code on the Amiga in vbcc using an integrated IDE then I think CubicIDE will be your only choice.

Why don't you want to use gcc?
Old 27 June 2012, 12:18   #9
phx
Natteravn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetr0 View Post
I was old-skool with Dice and Lattice command line, but I found Storm C++ (version 3) was very good, I think there is a version 4 as well...

I bought the original Storm C++ V3.0 from Hauge and Partner at the time... a whopping £100 inlcuding manual and gold-burned CD LOL!
I'm sorry to hear that. I wanted to keep quiet, but as you repeat it:

StormC V3 was garbage. The compiler generated the worst code of all known Amiga compilers and was full of bugs. The GUI was nice, though, for those who need it.

Don't you think there must have been a reason that they replaced their own compiler with gcc when going to V4?
Old 27 June 2012, 13:40   #10
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@phx

No need to apologies my friend,

Within two weeks I had configured Storm C to use my DICE (see lattice V4 ) compiler as opposed to HP's - it was the only way to get some of the code to compile from makes files that include assembly files and object files.

When I say compile, I mean compile AND run.

Once I had done that I never look back or gave it a moments thought untll you mentioned it.

The IDE was okay for this, and quite pleasant for the time, I was coding in Borlands Turbo C++ 2.0 on the PC back in that day as well... so the Amiga IDE was much better.

It was also easier (as I knew how) to include other library sets for the CPU (060) which I got in 1996 (although there only really was 040 support back then.

I used to use GoldED a fair bit if memory serves - but sadly I never got to use SC++ Version4, I had left Amiga Development by then.
Old 27 June 2012, 14:22   #11
phx
Natteravn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetr0 View Post
Within two weeks I had configured Storm C to use my DICE (see lattice V4 ) compiler as opposed to HP's - it was the only way to get some of the code to compile from makes files that include assembly files and object files
LOL
That's great! Maybe the best you could do.

But was the debugger still usable when using DICE? Or did it depend on StormC-output?
Old 27 June 2012, 20:36   #12
commodorejohn
Shameless recidivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaCoder View Post
If you want to code on the Amiga in vbcc using an integrated IDE then I think CubicIDE will be your only choice.

Why don't you want to use gcc?
Because GCC is known for being more portable than efficient, and sloppy code adds up in a big way on systems where 40MHz is "fast." By accounts I've heard, vbcc is quite a bit better.
Old 27 June 2012, 20:37   #13
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

I was stuck with the -output files, but in truth I found them better for debugging code anyway as it promotes more effort in reading the code properly - hence Aha! damn silly semicolon! and thats supose to be a "+=" not an "="...

I did miss using the watches system, but in the end like everyone else I would write my own debug-output for the routine - usually starting with about 10,000 printf's and then they are whittled down....
Old 21 May 2013, 00:39   #14
Intuition

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodorejohn View Post
Now that I've got my A1200 online and can easily download and install stuff, I'd like to get into Amiga development, which I've been meaning to do for some time. I've got vbcc installed and working, but I'm having trouble tracking down a decent IDE for it. I'm not looking for anything particularly fancy (no function-call lookup tooltips or what-have-you, though syntax highlighting would be nice,) nor something like CubicIDE that I'd have to buy an RTG and upgrade to AOS3.5 just to run; I just need a simple program to edit code, maintain makefiles, and build projects.

AmIDE sounds like exactly what I'd want, but the Sourceforge page doesn't include any binaries, I don't have a toolchain for cross-compilation, and the last binary on Aminet is from 2001 and only supports SaS-C. Anybody know where I can get a newer build?
Not an IDE as such, but a nice editor with syntax highlighting.

http://aminet.net/package/text/edit/Annotate_usr

It needs expat.library:

http://aminet.net/package/util/libs/expat
Old 22 May 2013, 22:37   #15
cahir

@commodorejohn: If you only need a cross compiler, you can build it on your PC machine with a shell script provided by following project: https://github.com/cahirwpz/m68k-amigaos-toolchain