English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 03 March 2012, 14:57   #1
fishyfish
Banned

Amiga RPGs

While I dont dislike the genre it's never been my favorite, but in recent years my tastes in gaming has changed a bit and I now like a game with a bit of a story behind it. Point and Click adventure games are definately amongst my favorite gamestyles, but having exhausted most of them available on the amiga Ive been thinking maybe I should expand my horizons and start checking out some good amiga rpgs properly. I quite enjoyed the bards tale, dungeon master, eye of the beholder, black crypt, Ishar3 and a few other's from back in the day, but after looking at some of the dos rpgs available back in the 90's and early 2000's Ive started to wonder if any of the more "advanced" rpgs ever made thier way to the amiga. Theyre games that lend themselves pretty well to the amigas hardware, but to my knowledge there were none written to take advantage of the sorts of amiga's more people ended up with before Commodore's demise (aga + fastram + harddrive, etc.).?

If there is I'd be interested to hear what equivalents the amiga had for the sorts of rpgs dos ended up with, or were we restricted to the sorts of games I already listed? Good as they were/are it would be great to see an rpg and/or adventure or 2 that were more fitting for a moderately upgraded amiga. The only 2 I can think of off the top of my head are Trapped 1 and 2, but theyre more engine than game. Im more interested in something like diablo, or a dungeon master style game that uses aga color depths, extra animations, cut scenes, speech, etc. Im not really after a specific style of rpg, but rather something that used the technology available (without trying to do things not suited to it).
Old 03 March 2012, 18:00   #2
source
Zone Friend

Try ultima series ultima 3-6 will work on any amiga ultima 7 you need exult and aga.
Old 03 March 2012, 18:35   #3
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

You could give Evil's Doom a try.
Old 04 March 2012, 02:46   #4
fishyfish
Banned

Thanks for the responses, but theyre not really what Im looking for. Im hoping to find something that takes advantage of the hardware available in the mid to late 90's. The games listed here could easily be a500 + floppy drive games.

In regards to exult, isnt it sdl based? (ergo rtg + emulator(more or less) only). Not that it couldnt be done on an a500 + floppy, but, well,... SDL ('nuff said).

edit:
I was going to make a follow up post 'cos it's a different opic, but Ive been "told off" for that so.....

It seems there's nothing really like what Im after here available for the Amiga. Quite a shame as it's a genre that couldve kept pace with pc games as vga, reasonable hdd space, cdrom, etc. became the norm. A hypothetical Dungeon Master/Eye Of The Beholder, etc. game for example... something with 64/128 real aga colors (to conserve a little chp vs. 256 colors more than speed reasons) + some copper trickery, maybe an extra frame of animation or 2 between "tile" position updates, a few extra animation frames for enemies, full speech, a couple of extra graphics effects for spells and so on and so forth. In short I guess just sprucing up the gamestyle in a way that suits the amiga, it'd work nicely, and is perfectly feasible on a modestly upgraded amiga (harddrive, extra ram, '020 upwards). There was some dos games that did this to a degree towards the end of its life, it's just a shame in some ways that amiga developers towards the end followed current trends (3d) with games instead of making games for upgraded amigas that the hardware is more suited to.

There's a couple of game styles that even non hardcore coders could make that could potentially humble what the amiga already has (in terms of audiovisuals), mostly just because no one has done it before them rather than it being hugely difficult The hardest part would be the extra graphics, sound, scripts and so on rather than the coding.

Last edited by fishyfish; 04 March 2012 at 05:50.
Old 04 March 2012, 11:21   #5
Washac

The only four games (one not released) I can think off along the lines that you refer I would think are.

Trapped
http://hol.abime.net/1499

Trapped II
[ Show youtube player ]

Trapped III (Not Released)
http://hol.abime.net/2039

Breathless
[ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by Washac; 04 March 2012 at 13:28.
Old 05 March 2012, 22:24   #6
gilgamesh
Linux snob

I think Ambermoon really reached the limits of what an Amiga can do. http://hol.abime.net/3256
Old 06 March 2012, 13:54   #7
Patarival

I agree, "Ambermoon" was technically quite advanced and had to be played on a rather maxed out Amiga to fully enjoy its graphics. And on top of it, it was truly great RPG.

There are also unoffical Eye of the Beholder 1 and 2 which feature AGA graphics and (compared to the DOS version) better sound - and automapping!

Hmm... there is also "Legends of Valour" which ist too much für a normal Amiga 500 but it's also not a very good game.
Old 06 March 2012, 13:57   #8
Washac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patarival View Post
I agree, "Ambermoon" was technically quite advanced and had to be played on a rather maxed out Amiga to fully enjoy its graphics. And on top of it, it was truly great RPG.

There are also unoffical Eye of the Beholder 1 and 2 which feature AGA graphics and (compared to the DOS version) better sound - and automapping!

Hmm... there is also "Legends of Valour" which ist too much für a normal Amiga 500 but it's also not a very good game.
I have found the enhanced version but have no idea what to do with the bunch of files I got from the download.

I will post this in the support side of things also.

Last edited by Washac; 06 March 2012 at 17:24.
Old 06 March 2012, 14:36   #9
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Truth to be told, the number of 'enhanced' Amigas was too low to gain intererest to produce any 'advanced' games for it. At least commercial games. I bet there are some interesting projects (in various stages of completion ) on Aminet.