English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 01 January 2018, 20:34   #741
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Sorry but I am gonna ask the dumb Qs I have been browsing the thread for...

My Gotek has one LED and one hidden behind the panel. What does the 2nd one do and do I just make a hole and route it thru?

Where can I get a decent knob for the rotary encoder, that fits and allows it to still be used to select (eBay link?). It looks a bit "urban" as a bare knob!

Thanks Kaffer for some excellent firmware BTW!
Old 01 January 2018, 22:45   #742
Sinphaltimus

It's the power LED.

I pulled a knob off an old amplifier

Last edited by Sinphaltimus; 01 January 2018 at 22:45. Reason: And then glued a boing ball to it.
Old 02 January 2018, 18:29   #743
FREEMILK

I am doing up a few 3d print files to make a nice A1200 install i will share here once completed.
Also has anyone thought about making a badge display, for example a nice display that fits exact where the badge is on A1200 then have the firmware display the model LOGO instead of putting the display to sleep.
Old 04 January 2018, 17:09   #744
BarryB
Amigaholic

How reliable are the 1602A LCD's?

I've just connected my FF back up to my A500 to test an ADF and the display is now blank? Was working fine a few months ago, all I've done is unplug the floppy/power and put it to one side and now reconnected it and the display is blank, still has same config on the USB stick and same firmware? Tried adjusting the pot on the backpack but can see a faint display when full up but that's all!!
Old 11 January 2018, 11:38   #745
Keir

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryB View Post

I've just connected my FF back up to my A500 to test an ADF and the display is now blank? Was working fine a few months ago, all I've done is unplug the floppy/power and put it to one side and now reconnected it and the display is blank, still has same config on the USB stick and same firmware? Tried adjusting the pot on the backpack but can see a faint display when full up but that's all!!
Is the LCD connected to 5v power (not 3v)? If connected to less than 5v then display contrast is very poor.
Old 11 January 2018, 11:40   #746
Keir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methanoid View Post
Sorry but I am gonna ask the dumb Qs I have been browsing the thread for...

My Gotek has one LED and one hidden behind the panel. What does the 2nd one do and do I just make a hole and route it thru?

Where can I get a decent knob for the rotary encoder, that fits and allows it to still be used to select (eBay link?). It looks a bit "urban" as a bare knob!

Thanks Kaffer for some excellent firmware BTW!
The second LED is connected to display data line. When an LCD/OLED is connected this means it is apparently always on and functions as a kind of power LED. But it's pretty pointless for indication purposes and I would only route it through if you really want a red light on the front of your Gotek
Old 12 January 2018, 16:23   #747
BarryB
Amigaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaffer View Post
Is the LCD connected to 5v power (not 3v)? If connected to less than 5v then display contrast is very poor.
The backpack has a bright red led lit so power is getting to it, just not the display. SDA, SCL and GND are plugged into the pins where the original LED was and the +5v tapped off the pin near the power connector, might have soldered pins on for that though!
Old 13 January 2018, 17:53   #748
Sinphaltimus

OK, I have some questions because I think I am short changing myself on some features.

First I'm running flashfloppy v0.8.1a which I flashed over the Cortex.
Installed the OLED and the Rotary Push Button mods.

It works fine, I can traverse directories, load, eject, etc...

AFAI can tell, I'm running the config-less setup. That is to say I do not have anything but directories and ADFs on my USB drive.

But seeing chatter about configuration files to alter the display timeout among other things has me wondering if I am not taking full advantage of my GoTek drive.

Given my setup, what do I need to do to take better advantage of its capabilities?
Am I restricting myself with a config-less setup?

Can I have anything else given the mods that are in place and the fact that I went from Cortex to flashfloppy without any HxC involved?

I've read about some HxC config files and such that can be used, are they compatible with my setup? I mean, I don't need to load ADF files into "slots" like I did with cortex and I see no reason to ever have to do that the way I am using it now.

I'm just curious about what I can/should be doing with the OLED and Rotary mods that can enhance my experience a bit.
Old 14 January 2018, 04:41   #749
Supamax
Da Digger :)

Cyclone-like dongles

Perhaps I'm asking a stupid question:

if I connect to an Amiga an external Gotek unit as DF1 (with an appropriate cable and box), will I be able to use a Cyclone-like dongle and make an analog copy of protected original disks (with long tracks etc.)?
From DF0 (real floppy drive) to DF1 (Gotek, raw/extended adf).
Old 14 January 2018, 12:05   #750
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supamax View Post
if I connect to an Amiga an external Gotek unit as DF1 (with an appropriate cable and box), will I be able to use a Cyclone-like dongle and make an analog copy of protected original disks (with long tracks etc.)?
From DF0 (real floppy drive) to DF1 (Gotek, raw/extended adf).
That won't work with any of the current gotek firmwares. The data would have to be stored in some kind of raw format, but that isn't implemented.

It would probably be best to have some kind of special bus sniffing mode in the gotek, combined with some special software on the Amiga to run the drive. Then again, it could be possible to make an image reading firmware for the gotek and connect the drives together directly, forgoing a host computer..
Old 14 January 2018, 12:12   #751
BarryB
Amigaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryB View Post

Have now found the problem, the jumper on the LED pins on the backpack was 'missing' so stopped the backlight working, putting a jumper on those 2 pins gets it working again
Old 14 January 2018, 21:00   #752
Supamax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
That won't work with any of the current gotek firmwares. The data would have to be stored in some kind of raw format, but that isn't implemented.

It would probably be best to have some kind of special bus sniffing mode in the gotek, combined with some special software on the Amiga to run the drive. Then again, it could be possible to make an image reading firmware for the gotek and connect the drives together directly, forgoing a host computer..
I thought that the Gotek was read/write compatible with some raw formats (i.e. hfe)...
Old 15 January 2018, 06:33   #753
Jope
-

It can write HFE? Then it might be able to get it on par with any other unanalysed raw dump of a protected floppy. Means some protections will work, some won't.
Old 15 January 2018, 20:53   #754
Supamax

Quote:
It can write HFE?
I'm not sure...

Is the .hfe format supported for writing too?
Old 16 January 2018, 14:39   #755
Keir

Quote:
It can write HFE? Then it might be able to get it on par with any other unanalysed raw dump of a protected floppy. Means some protections will work, some won't.
Yes it supports write to HFE. This means it will support write of custom tracks, including long tracks, but it does not support variable-rate tracks (eg. Copylock, Speedlock).
Old 17 January 2018, 06:33   #756
Supamax

Quote:
Yes it supports write to HFE. This means it will support write of custom tracks, including long tracks,
Wow, interesting!

Quote:
but it does not support variable-rate tracks (eg. Copylock, Speedlock).
Is this impossible to add, or could it be realized in a future firmware release?
Old 17 January 2018, 12:54   #757
Keir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supamax View Post
Is this impossible to add, or could it be realized in a future firmware release?
Regular HFE does not support variable-rate tracks. HFEv3 format does, but supporting creation of such exotic tracks in real-time in the firmware is probably not going to happen... it would be a bunch of work for a very niche case.
Old 17 January 2018, 12:55   #758
Keir

New release v0.9.6a
https://github.com/keirf/FlashFloppy/wiki/Downloads

- USB: Fix power-on initialisation for some USB sticks
- FAT: Write-protect image files marked with read-only attribute
- FAT: Ignore 'hidden' files and folders (eg. "System Volume Information")
- ST: Support 11-sector .ST images

Last edited by Keir; 17 January 2018 at 21:43.
Old 17 January 2018, 20:38   #759
solidcore

Quote:
New release v0.9.6a
https://github.com/keirf/FlashFloppy/wiki/Downloads

- USB: Fix power-on initialisation for some USB sticks
- FAT: Write-protect image files marked with read-only attribute
- ST: Support 11-sector .ST images

Fantastic I am glad you're starting to make it more ST compatible. I love this project keep going.
Old 17 January 2018, 21:01   #760
Sinphaltimus

Kaffer,

Besides these questions here:
http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=...&postcount=748

I have a few more questions, even tho the previous ones are still unanswered.

1. Is there anyway to get the GoTek to NOT show the "System Volume Information" folder? Yes, it's a windows hidden folder but it still shows up on the GoTek display.

2. When using the rotary to browse ADF files, if I take too long (just about a second or two) then the adf I'm looking at loads. Even if I eject it, the same behaviour happens if I pause too long on the next ADF. Would be nice if an ADF did not load at all unless the select button is pushed or if the time could be increased. If it's the only adf in the root upon power on (to boot to adf) would be an exception. Happens with the dir up (..) as well. I'll be browsing a directory and before I know it I'm looking at .. and then I'm up a directory level before I can dial away from it.

Are these things that can be adjust with a config file? (going back to my original list of questions and my concerns about my current setup).