English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 16 February 2019, 22:52   #1
Foebane
Banned

Issue with large archive HDD causes WinUAE to lock itself and Windows up

I have recently taken many single-file demos and zipped them up and used them as archived hard drives in WinUAE rather than ordinary folders with files, and I find that performance degrades fairly quickly. The largest such zip file is 349Mb of data compressed to something like 211Mb, with a few dozen demo files in it.

The problem is that when I run files from that zip file, or others like it with far smaller and fewer contents, when I reset the Amiga, the screen contents remain on screen for a moment after I've done so, and it then restarts normally after the dark grey blank screen. BUT, eventually, the dark grey screen stays and WinUAE locks up, and I can't even get the Windows Task Manager on the screen and my only option is to Ctrl-Alt-Del to restart Windows.

It's hard to get logs for this as I don't know for sure when the freeze will happen, but it seems to have started since I decided to zip up folders into archive hard drives. I think my only option is to restore them to folders.
Old 16 February 2019, 23:18   #2
DamienD
Banned

Think about it Foebane. When you are adding in large archives WinUAE is having to mount them...

This takes time and will "freeze" WinUAE if you have many.

...and you went down this silly route just to save a few MBs

I would definitely reverse your decision on this one.
Old 16 February 2019, 23:45   #3
Foebane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Think about it Foebane. When you are adding in large archives WinUAE is having to mount them...

This takes time and will "freeze" WinUAE if you have many.

...and you went down this silly route just to save a few MBs

I would definitely reverse your decision on this one.
I will, now. I actually thought it was an ingenious idea to zip them up in the first place. I mean, I access single demos in archive HDDs, but this was the first time I tried many in one go.

I had thought of taking the entire Foebane folder I use and archiving that to save space instead of zipping up smaller parts of that folder, but I am worried about losing the lot if the archive gets corrupted.

What is my best option for archiving a huge amount of data (2.4Gb+) and being able to recover most of it if corruption occurs? RAR? 7Z? I know ZIP wasn't designed with data recovery in mind.
Old 17 February 2019, 01:39   #4
Foebane
Banned

I realise I'm going OT on this, but I really need advice on this matter, please.
Old 17 February 2019, 05:12   #5
haps
Rumpig

2.4GB+ is huge?

I know I could go down the post office and buy a 16GiB USB stick for 5 quid.

All this space saving you carry on about really makes me shake my head.
Old 17 February 2019, 09:36   #6
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

If archive is mounted as a harddrive, whole archive needs to be unpacked and converted to internal directory tree. It can take long time and use lots of RAM and unless you use 64-bit WinUAE, there may be only few hundred megabytes of RAM left (32-bit processes usually have 1G to 3G of RAM free where everything must fit, including DLLs, winuae.exe etc.., depending on Windows version), especially if your config has lots of Z3 RAM.
Old 17 February 2019, 12:37   #7
rare_j
Zone Friend

Use an NTFS compressed folder? Transparent compression.
Compression rates not too bad.
Old 17 February 2019, 13:23   #8
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foebane View Post
I actually thought it was an ingenious idea to zip them up in the first place.
Harebrained idea more like; all for the sake of saving a little space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foebane
If I could put a few thousand files into one archive, it would make it easier to copy them from a recordable DVD (yes, I use those, I don't trust USB sticks).
You do realise that it's actually the reverse? Don't trust burned CDs or DVDs and they have a short life expectancy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haps View Post
All this space saving you carry on about really makes me shake my head.
You and me both...

I should really just ignore these threads.

Last edited by DamienD; 17 February 2019 at 13:35.
Old 17 February 2019, 13:50   #9
Tomislav

You can use hard disk file with NTFS compression. It would be faster access and you gain some space. Use zip for archiving only or small things like ADFs.
Old 17 February 2019, 14:14   #10
Foebane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Harebrained idea more like; all for the sake of saving a little space

You do realise that it's actually the reverse? Don't trust burned CDs or DVDs and they have a short life expectancy...

You and me both...

I should really just ignore these threads.
I'm going to go back to the way everything was, believe me, but I'm not going to give up on optical media. I've always used it, the data is actually visible and definitely read-only, and nothing can delete it, unlike a USB stick left around for someone to plug in and delete files permanently.

It's not just the archive/HDD aspect that I'm going back on, but the fact that I had other problems with the files once they were zipped. But since that's over with now, it is no longer a problem.

The thing I find odd is only now I'm seeing the other half of the argument. Last week when I was zipping everything up, the people I was with were "go for it", but now the sane half have spoken, and I'm going back to uncompressed.

It was only a measly six hundred or so Mb's saved anyway.
Old 17 February 2019, 21:20   #11
mark_k

Could the lock-up issue indicate a bug? If on resetting WinUAE unpacks the archive contents to memory again, without freeing the already-unpacked data, the amount of memory used will gradually increase each reset until you run out.
Old 17 February 2019, 22:35   #12
haps
Rumpig

Quote:
unlike a USB stick left around for someone to plug in and delete files permanently.

Sigh.....

Another non-issue that has an easy and elegant solution. Lock the bloody thing away in a drawer!
Old 18 February 2019, 11:59   #13
Foebane
Banned

I've put the files back to their non-zipped state. It takes up more space, but it makes things easier generally.
Old 18 February 2019, 14:41   #14
Hewitson

Quote:
What is my best option for archiving a huge amount of data (2.4Gb+)
There's these new things called DVD's that can store almost double that.
Old 18 February 2019, 19:08   #15
Foebane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
There's these new things called DVD's that can store almost double that.
Oh, didn't I mention? I burn on DVD+/-Rs already (not sure which is better), from Verbatim, with the AZO logo on them. I hear they're very good, and they certainly cost enough. I create the ISO images for the Foebane folder with ImgBurn, and burn those onto disc. I also tested to see if I could rebuild the ISO if I lost the file, and it turns out that using ImgBurn to create the ISO from disc (rather than copying the folder from disc via Explorer) is much faster.

I like the read-only aspect of optical media, although if I discover something that needs to be fixed, it irks me as I'll have to fix it and then burn the disc again. Patches don't really satisfy me.
Old 19 February 2019, 00:24   #16
haps
Rumpig

I'm sure that if you worked as a ditch digger Foebane you would insist on doing the job with a teaspoon.
Old 19 February 2019, 03:00   #17
AMIGASYSTEM

I would avoid using compressors LHA, ZIP, RAR etc..
The best solution is to compress all demos individually with PowerPacker or CrunchMania. Once this is done you can copy all the file self-extracting to a HardFile from 2GB/4GB to keep the double or triple copies.
Compressing these "full" HardFiles would be useless because the content is already compressed
Old 19 February 2019, 07:22   #18
Foebane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by haps View Post
I'm sure that if you worked as a ditch digger Foebane you would insist on doing the job with a teaspoon.
If you mean I would put in more effort than needed for a simple collection of files, then yes, I would. It's my only hobby, and once that's complete, I'll have nothing else to do in my free time.
Old 19 February 2019, 08:18   #19
chip

But when you will reach the end Foebane ?

I strongly guess this hobby, luckily, will take to you much more time than you think

I don't know what kind of demos are you considering, but if you consider them all

You know, we have something in common

I strongly guess i will reach "the end" at least between 10 years
Old 19 February 2019, 09:19   #20
Foebane
Banned

There will always be more demos I can add on top of my 640, but finding them will take time.

Also, I don't just collect any old demos, but ones I like personally.