English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Old Rare Games

Old 28 August 2015, 10:19   #1
brolly

Amijeweled

Since I don't think this is for sale anymore since quite some time now, I guess it's ok to request an iso of it?
(http://hol.abime.net/6005)
Old 28 August 2015, 15:36   #2
huepper

You can buy this software actually, so there is no need to upload it.
Old 28 August 2015, 21:43   #3
Thalion
Amiga Collector

Where? All the shops i found, list it as not available.
Old 28 August 2015, 22:27   #4
brolly

Yeah, then please state where I can buy it because as I said on my post game is not being sold since a long time now. At least I'm not aware of it.
Old 28 August 2015, 22:42   #5
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Contact them

Edit: Sorry, it's this http://www.insane-software.de/web/eindex.php?page=news

Hehe. I like it tells "We recommend to use Ibrowse 2.4 on Amiga to display this page correctly. "

Edit: The page doesn't work, it doesn't open any option.

Last edited by Retrofan; 28 August 2015 at 22:49.
Old 28 August 2015, 23:26   #6
rygar

It seems that if you'll switch to DE all is working :P
Old 29 August 2015, 00:50   #7
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Yes, you are true http://www.insane-software.de/web/gindex.php?page=news
Old 29 August 2015, 00:52   #8
brolly

The game was being sold through amiga-shop only afaik which no longer offers it for sale (since quite some time), you can't buy it directly from insane-software.

I actually tried contacting insane-software long time ago about it and never had a reply to my emails, their website is basically dead since 2008, their old forum domain is not even theirs anymore so it seems abandoned.
Old 29 August 2015, 02:23   #9
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

At least you can play the demo in AmiKit. Try to find an email to contact them, maybe they will share the full game, it's been a long time as you say.
Old 29 August 2015, 09:07   #10
Amiga1992

Nobody seems to give a fuck about the game, so why not share it??
Old 29 August 2015, 15:48   #11
Thalion
Amiga Collector

Next Question would be, does anyone have it to share?
Old 29 August 2015, 15:49   #12
Korodny
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Nobody seems to give a fuck about the game
The author goes by the nick "whose" and is still very active in German forums (a1k.org, os4welt.de).

He probably "gives a fuck", so it might not hurt to use the polite approach and ask him first.
Old 29 August 2015, 17:12   #13
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korodny View Post
He probably "gives a fuck", so it might not hurt to use the polite approach and ask him first.
Sure, but the OP made it seem all efforts had landed on deaf ears. If there's still a chance, it should be taken.
Old 29 August 2015, 18:26   #14
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brolly View Post
The game was being sold through amiga-shop only afaik which no longer offers it for sale (since quite some time), you can't buy it directly from insane-software.

I actually tried contacting insane-software long time ago about it and never had a reply to my emails, their website is basically dead since 2008, their old forum domain is not even theirs anymore so it seems abandoned.
Well, I bought my copy in 2009 via Insane-Software's online shop. IIRC the online shop and support forum were active for at least a year or two after that.

Since the German website actually has "© 2006-2015 Insane-Software. All rights reserved." notices on the contact page and other webpages, it would probably be wise to contact the devs using both email (info@insane-software.de) and online forum PM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalion View Post
Next Question would be, does anyone have it to share?
Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korodny View Post
The author goes by the nick "whose" and is still very active in German forums (a1k.org, os4welt.de).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Sure, but the OP made it seem all efforts had landed on deaf ears. If there's still a chance, it should be taken.
I think Korodny is referring to Wolfgang Hosemann, who's been active on the Amiga for a long time. Since he's a small developer who is still active in the Amiga community, it would be polite to go to the extra effort of contacting him via the online forums. IMHO it wouldn't be right for me to upload an ISO if he's still selling copies of the game.

Last edited by DrBong; 29 August 2015 at 19:02.
Old 29 August 2015, 18:56   #15
huepper

I wrote an PM to whose on a1k.org, hope he answer me.
Also i give him a link to this thread so he can post some words here.
Old 29 August 2015, 19:00   #16
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Thanks huepper! Let us know if you get a response.
Old 29 August 2015, 19:01   #17
ReadOnlyCat
Code Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBong View Post
I think Korodny is referring to Wolfgang Hosemann, who's been active on the Amiga for a long time. Since he's a small developer who is still active in the Amiga community, it would be polite to go to the extra effort of contacting him via the online forums. IMHO it wouldn't be right for me to upload an ISO if he's still selling copies of the game.
I think this illustrates well why the notion of abandonware is a bad idea in practice even though it may *seem* to be logical.

It can be really very hard to know the exact circumstances of a right holder and from the Internet we barely scratch the surface of what they can be up to in real life. So what seem like reasonable attempts to communicate simply do not depict the actual reality of the situation: people have lives, are busy, change emails, have other priorities, other obligations, secret projects, whatever, but that does not imply they renounce their rights.

Assuming that refusing interaction is akin to renouncing one's rights is just convenient for _us_ but that is all it is: a convenient excuse to justify entitlement to someone else's work. Unless we were living next to the person in question there is no way we can be certain that they indeed do not care, life is vast and assuming the most convenient explanation for ourselves when we are 99% ignorant of the actual situation is the definition of entitlement.

Even in the worst of cases where a right holder explicitly refused communication requests, that does not mean they renounce their ownership, it just means they refuse to address requests about the content, not that they make it public domain. And I am certain most of us here would resent if someone decided without our explicit consent that they are entitled to something we deem our own (not to mention the legal aspect) just because we do not have time to deal with it anymore. Some of us wouldn't mind, but many would so shouldn't their choices be respected?
Does the fact that the person who owns the rights is a random stranger on the Internet and who does not communicate make it more right to not respect their property?

By default I always assume the rights still hold unless I have explicit information to the contrary by the owner(s).
I'm fine with the fact that some things might be eternally out of my reach for this reason, this does not deprive me in any way of my enjoyment of the myriad of other things I rightfully have access to.
Old 30 August 2015, 01:45   #18
huepper

Ok, i got an answer, i'll post it in german.
Hope that someone translate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang Hosemann (whose)

Ich bin nicht aktiv im EAB, aber es wäre nett, wenn Du meine Antwort dorthin übermitteln könntest

Er möge doch einfach mal an whose@insane-software.de eine Mail loslassen. Die Adresse ist nicht wirklich naheliegend, gebe ich zu Niels und ich wären nicht wirklich begeistert, wenn es als Abandonware angesehen wird. Es ist zwar lange nichts mehr passiert, aber aktiv sind wir trotzdem noch.

Eventuell gibt es Amijeweled bald wieder zu kaufen, wenn auch etwas umständlicher (und ich bin mir da noch nicht ganz sicher, ob ich das machen soll. Mal schauen, was Niels dazu meint. EntwicklerX gehen diesen Weg inzwischen auch, von daher...).

Und Du hast echt Glück, daß ich die PM hier lese... ich war schon länger nicht hier eingeloggt :/

Als ob ich es geahnt hätte...
Old 30 August 2015, 02:20   #19
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

I understand that you contacted him by a rare chance and that he now has to think if selling it again or... he has to consult what to do.
Old 30 August 2015, 02:27   #20
ReadOnlyCat
Code Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by huepper View Post
Ok, i got an answer, i'll post it in german.
Hope that someone translate it.
Google translate seems to do a good job of translating it overall.
I have quoted it below for simplicity (unedited):
Quote:
I am not active in the EAB, but it would be nice if you could convey my answer there

He may nevertheless simply times to release whose@insane-software.de an email. The address is not really obvious, I admit Niels and I were not really excited when it is considered abandonware. Although it is a long time nothing happened, but we are still active.

There may Amijeweled soon to buy again, albeit somewhat more complicated (and I'm not quite sure if I should do that. We'll see what Niels thinks so. Developers go this way now too, so ... ).

And you have a really lucky that I read the PM here ... I was already longer not logged here: /

As if I had known it ...
The translation has some issues but it I think this really confirms my previous point: you managed to contact him by pure chance and if you had not been so lucky people would have started to consider it abandonware with pretty unpleasant results for the developers.

It's always better to assume they wish to maintain their rights. It is just too hard to correct the situation afterward.

Good thing you took the initiative to ask and shake things up!