English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 09 January 2003, 21:05   #1
IceC

Whats your best Amiga game publisher?

Hi there,

I'm just looking through the HOL web site and noticed my favorite Amiga games publisher, Microprose.

I even joined their club!

Did any of you join a software publisher gamers club? or if not:

Which software games publisher did you like best?

Old 09 January 2003, 21:08   #2
oldpx

Bullfrog for me. I loved all the games they made for Amiga. Populous, Powermonger, Syndicate...

Old 09 January 2003, 23:43   #3
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Publisher, Id have to say Psygnosis, although I felt they let their immaculate standards slip in the latter days of the Amigas life.
Old 10 January 2003, 00:10   #4
InMotion

Psygnosis would be my choice too. Great games.

My first original Amiga game was Shadow Of The Beast, boxed with t-shirt (which sadly has faded from black to somewhat grayish, and the picture ruined , but it's still with me ) .

[edit] Ugh, no it wasn't. My first game was Onslaught, which I got with my Amiga. I somehow like that game's style. Splendid soundtrack.

Old 10 January 2003, 00:57   #5
Drake1009

Psygnosis had some great games graphics wise and everything but I still stick with Bitmap brothers. There might not have been so many of them but I can't think of a game by them that I didn't like. Psygnosis had a couple, can't recall the names but there were some (well unavoidable due to the sheer amount of games released)
Old 10 January 2003, 03:09   #6
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Well, you guys have to notice that neither Bullfrog or Bitmap Brothers are publishers. I believe all Bullfrog games were published by Electronic Arts, and most, if not all Bitmap Brothers games were published by Renegade.

My fav publisher gotta be Team 17. They always had a high-quality standard for their games, I don't remember playing ANY bad games from Team 17, neither made by 3rd party teams or in-house.
Old 10 January 2003, 04:11   #7
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

I really liked Ocean, despite the many clunkers they released. Team 17 were indeed brilliant, as well. Domark brought us a lot of great coin-op conversions. But I don't think I have a fav...
Old 10 January 2003, 04:22   #8
sarek2k
E.A.B Addict and Proud

Send a message via MSN to sarek2k
Yeah Twistin i liked ocean too if not for all their games i wrote to them once for a school project, and got a t-shirt, a keyring and some posters adverts etc Also Sensible software just for Meglomania, Wizball (c64), Cannon fodder and of course sensi soccer (goal was still king tho )

Worthy mention to system 3 for ninja series, bangkok knights and ik+ (i could be wrong on some of these!)
Old 10 January 2003, 04:59   #9
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Erm
It seems we will be discussing development teams here, not publishing ones.

If so, I have to go for Sensible Software too, they are undoubtly one of my top 5 developers ever.
Old 10 January 2003, 09:45   #10
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Yeah this is fave PUBLISHER. Thats why I chose Psygnosis rather than the Bitmaps.
Old 10 January 2003, 10:44   #11
blackcornflake

Renegade.

As well as the Sensi Soccer series, they published games by Graftgold (Fire and Ice, Uridium 2) and the Bitmaps (CE, Gods).
Old 10 January 2003, 10:47   #12
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

My problem with Psygnosis (pretty as their boxes and intros were) was that they were only good during the middle years. Their earliest stuff (all originating on the ST, so go figure) was among the worst cack ever published by anybody. And their final load of games (save one or two) were so abominable that at least one of them appears on everybody's worst games of all time lists. Fairly, they released that dreck on as many platforms as imaginable at the time, so everybody ended up with turds like Last Action Hero, Dracula and Cliffhanger.

I still think Brataccas is one of the all-time shittiest games ever.
Old 10 January 2003, 14:21   #13
Mr Creosote
Evil Mastermind

Shatterhand: As far as I know, Renegade consisted of the same people as the Bitmap Brothers (or at least some of them), so it's hard to tell them apart....
Old 10 January 2003, 15:29   #14
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

For the Amiga, my vote would probably go towards Rainbow Arts. All the Factor 5 stuff they published,(Turrican series, X-Out,Z-Out etc.), all made excellent use of the Amiga when at the time most other publishers were content to release ST game ports, particulary of arcade games. I would agree that Team 17 deserve credit for the same reason.

System 3 were one of the best reason's for owning a C64, but I thought some of their C64 conversions to the Amiga were overrated-obviously, they did improve as they moved across to 16bit development.
Old 10 January 2003, 18:38   #15
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Not So

Quote:
Originally posted by Twistin'Ghost
My problem with Psygnosis (pretty as their boxes and intros were) was that they were only good during the middle years. Their earliest stuff (all originating on the ST, so go figure) was among the worst cack ever published by anybody. And their final load of games (save one or two) were so abominable that at least one of them appears on everybody's worst games of all time lists. Fairly, they released that dreck on as many platforms as imaginable at the time, so everybody ended up with turds like Last Action Hero, Dracula and Cliffhanger.

I still think Brataccas is one of the all-time shittiest games ever.
Psygnosis mainly coded for Amiga first, with the ST getting games if they felt they could be translated. As far as I can remember, the ST got most of the early stuff and some of the vector games, after that, it dried up.
Old 10 January 2003, 18:58   #16
oldpx

Publisher? Why would I have a fav PUBLISHER? People who make the games must take the credit and I simply can't credit EA for Syndicate or Powermonger. In this case I don't have a fav publisher.

Old 10 January 2003, 19:17   #17
InMotion

Quote:
Originally posted by Burseg
... People who make the games must take the credit and I simply can't credit EA for Syndicate or Powermonger.
True, but in (I suppose) most of the cases part of the credit should go to the publisher, who takes part of the risk, and sometimes supports the creation of the game in question more than just financially. Of course there has been rip-offs, and perhaps even more years back than today as the gaming industry is quite young, but I could credit the publishers. A bit, at least.

Old 10 January 2003, 21:36   #18
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

And let us not forget crediting the publishers for even choosing to support the Amiga in the first place, whilst some jumped ship early or never supported the machine at all. Or a publisher having the common sense to have a game developed on the Amiga. Let's look at "Rise of the Robots" - completely dreadful rubbish, right? And developed on and for the PeeCee, then converted from there to everything else (even though all platforms probably had the impression that it was developed on their machine). Yeesh!
Old 10 January 2003, 22:27   #19
the wolf
Just Leeching

My favourite Developer/Publisher?
Tiertex/US Gold, of course...
Old 11 January 2003, 13:33   #20
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

I will assume

Quote:
Originally posted by the wolf
My favourite Developer/Publisher?