English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Misc > MarketPlace

Old 18 February 2002, 15:00   #1
kriz

Cheap Original games (US)

heya!

Just read this on Czech amiga news:

"17.2.2002 LAST CHANCE: TLAS-Going Out of Business

Terry L. Fike, TLAS: "TLAS has made yet another round of discounts on Amiga Software.
ALL software is now $ 7.oo and UNDER. Yes, some titles go for as low as .10 cents.
These are (as you know by now) new software and not pre-owned stuff. Many titles at $2.oo
and below. We still have hundreds of titles and a total of about 8,000 boxes. Some we have
so many of that they are now going for .10 cents to $ 1.oo and on some others they are only a few remaining.
So check this out please! If you have questions regarding any title please email me."

They are based in texas, USA. I bet some of you over there wants some original stuff

The url:
http://www.sparkynet.com/turtle
Old 18 February 2002, 15:58   #2
Chuckles
The Ancient One

Interesting ... and they're in my neck of the woods, give or take a few hundred miles. Thanks for the link!
Old 18 February 2002, 18:32   #3
Riempie
Amiga freak

So, this shop is in the USA, does this mean that all available games are for ntsc-machines? any info about this? Or is this a stupid question?
Old 18 February 2002, 18:36   #4
DPainter

Nice find! I just ordered about 30 or so titles. A number of them are shown as "PAL". Twistin'Ghost is going to spend his savings on these deals, if he doesn't already have everything in their catalog.
Old 18 February 2002, 18:42   #5
Riempie
Amiga freak

So I can assume all is in ntsc-format unless PAL is mentioned? Can you name a game which is in PAL?
Old 18 February 2002, 19:30   #6
DPainter

Quote:
Originally posted by Riempie
So I can assume all is in ntsc-format unless PAL is mentioned? Can you name a game which is in PAL?
Try the site's search function for PAL and you'll see maybe 20 or so listed, for example:

Bograts AGA
Bully's Sports Darts
Formula One Masters
Golf International
Tennis Blitz
Playdays Paint
Bumper Quad Pack
Project-X
Bomber Bob
Worlds at War

...etc....
Old 18 February 2002, 22:51   #7
Riempie
Amiga freak

Hmm.... too bad. I'm interested in CD32 games only
Old 19 February 2002, 05:53   #8
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

I have already purchased a lot of games from TLAS before this going out of business sale. As soon as this was announced, I emailed Terry about buying several hundred dollars worth of goodies. No reply. I emailed him again. Nothing. I tried a third time and still nothing. Several of the games I wanted I have already bought on ebay since that time. DPainter - how did you order them? I couldn't buy a response (literally) and I am a good customer of theirs from the past!

For the record, this sale has been going on for at least six months. Also for the record, even before the sale, their prices were always unbeatable anywhere. And most of the stuff I purchased was PAL. You need to have an idea of which games were not released in the US (which is most games). If they are old, PC ports, stale, etc. then they are probably NTSC. When I bought from them, I assumed PAL unless otherwise obvious.
Old 19 February 2002, 05:58   #9
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Another note: everything I purchased from them was brand new (most shrink-wrapped). No used stuff unless stated somewhere in the description.
Old 19 February 2002, 09:09   #10
Riempie
Amiga freak

Well, I e-mailed Turtle yesterday and I already have a response.

btw, what does 'payment by money order' mean? I don't want to use my creditcard on the net, so which method should I choose?

Last edited by Riempie; 19 February 2002 at 12:04.
Old 19 February 2002, 17:54   #11
DPainter

Quote:
Originally posted by Twistin'Ghost
I have already purchased a lot of games from TLAS before this going out of business sale. As soon as this was announced, I emailed Terry about buying several hundred dollars worth of goodies. No reply. I emailed him again. Nothing. I tried a third time and still nothing. Several of the games I wanted I have already bought on ebay since that time. DPainter - how did you order them? I couldn't buy a response (literally) and I am a good customer of theirs from the past!

For the record, this sale has been going on for at least six months. Also for the record, even before the sale, their prices were always unbeatable anywhere. And most of the stuff I purchased was PAL. You need to have an idea of which games were not released in the US (which is most games). If they are old, PC ports, stale, etc. then they are probably NTSC. When I bought from them, I assumed PAL unless otherwise obvious.
That's really odd about him not contacting you, Twistin'. I got a confirmation e-mail a few minutes after my order. My CC hasn't been charged yet, but I imagine the sale should go through today. Maybe he doesn't want one person to buy him out?

(Shameless plug) I use American Express Blue Card, which allows me to price match computer stuff within 60 days of purchase, and will even double manufacturer warranties on many items. Also, they're good about fraud protection. I pre-paid $2,000 on furnishings from Sears Home Life a week before they went bankrupt. I filed a complaint and Amex never made me pay the charges.
Old 19 February 2002, 18:25   #12
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Quote:
I pre-paid $2,000 on furnishings from Sears Home Life a week before they went bankrupt.
That's bad luck... having to spend $2000 on furniture!
Old 19 February 2002, 18:42   #13
Amiga1992

I contacted Terry and he replied too. But the first time I contacted them I got no reply. I got lucky second time...
Old 19 February 2002, 20:48   #14
DPainter

Maybe Terry uses an e-mail filter that deletes every other new e-mail. Or maybe it's a virus on his system.

I'll let you know if I get anything I ordered. I mean, who can resist an Instant Music data disk for US$.10 ! (Don't answer that!)

CodyJ: I quickly discovered that getting married is far more expensive than upgrading my PC or collecting Amiga stuff!
Old 19 February 2002, 23:25   #15
Chuckles
The Ancient One

Quote:
Originally posted by DPainter
CodyJ: I quickly discovered that getting married is far more expensive than upgrading my PC or collecting Amiga stuff!
Of course it is! When you finish paying for your upgrades and stuff, that's the end of it. But you NEVER finish paying for getting married.
Old 26 February 2002, 19:25   #16
DPainter

Floppy disk

Quote:
Another note: everything I purchased from them was brand new (most shrink-wrapped). No used stuff unless stated somewhere in the description.
Any luck getting an order from them? I just got my stuff today. 95% of it was shrinkwrapped. Thomas the Tank Engine Pinball wasn't, nor was Badlands Pete, but otherwise it all looks very fine considering most of them are more than 10 years old.

My wife looks at it as yet another box of obsolete computer crap, but they are my time machine. Suddenly I am 17 years old. I'm at the Software Etc. in the mall, beholding the beautiful new box art of exciting new games. On my left is the dwindling Commodore 64 section. Before me is the burgeoning Amiga section, ripe with new Cinemaware and Psygnosis titles. Somewhere on my right is a tiny, growing IBM section of very silly 4-color games. Then I remember that I don't have a job and can't fork out $39 for a new game, so I call up my buddy and ask if he has any new stuff to trade...
Old 26 February 2002, 21:29   #17
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Hey...that flashback sounds like mine! Well, very similar anyhow! I will go back again and email Terry and see what's left in his inventory that I don't yet have. Hopefully, he will reply this time.

In the meantime, I did pick up about about 70 new games in the last month. The big bulk was a load of 50 games from a personal collection of a seller on ebay. They are on the way and should be here by the end of the week or the first of next week. All boxed originals in excellent condition, including such obscurities as Chariots of Wrath, Strider II, Transputor, Fast Eddie's Pool & Billiards, Warlock, Darius, Pandora, etc.

A big pile from TLAS would fit right in well with my current orgy of originals, yes...
Old 26 February 2002, 21:49   #18
DPainter

Quote:
Hey...that flashback sounds like mine! Well, very similar anyhow! I will go back again and email Terry and see what's left in his inventory that I don't yet have. Hopefully, he will reply this time.

In the meantime, I did pick up about about 70 new games in the last month. The big bulk was a load of 50 games from a personal collection of a seller on ebay. They are on the way and should be here by the end of the week or the first of next week. All boxed originals in excellent condition, including such obscurities as Chariots of Wrath, Strider II, Transputor, Fast Eddie's Pool & Billiards, Warlock, Darius, Pandora, etc.

A big pile from TLAS would fit right in well with my current orgy of originals, yes...
Nice haul, man! Do you have an originals wanted list, or should I just assume that you want everything that you don't have?

I wasn't too impressed by the Firepower that Terry sent me, which is apparently the UK release? By the label I might think it was a pirate copy:
Old 27 February 2002, 00:45   #19
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Yeah, a lot of the UK 'imports' from the US (and a lot of the budget titles) are really packaged like crap. Cheap inserts glued onto boxes, home-printed labels, cheap photocopy-looking instruction sheets, etc. But they come off looking better when scanned than on the real thing.

If it's obscure, I want it despite its crude appearance. And yeah, ultimately I want everything, but I steer away from more obvious stuff like Cannon Fodder, etc. because they are so common and will always be easy to find (Amiga equivalents of Atari 2600 Combat or Tank). The ones I listed above are pretty rare as originals, especially boxed and in good condition. I hope TLAS still has some good offerings left...I noticed that each time I went there, more and more titles drop off (although others have appeared new, too). And they tend to get cheaper each visit, as well. I'm ready to drop a few hundred, if need be. And I may even consider some of the newer titles if they have gotten cheap enough by now. I know I should be spending my money on a new Amiga, but with the software, it may not show up again ever, so you have to jump on the rarities while they are offered.

Puppy Love I was bidding on a couple of weeks ago in some bundle...this is extremely rare. I think they guy who won it might sell me his copy, but he's being very iffy about it. At least I now know more about it - it was also released on the Mac Plus and the FM Towns systems, is an artifical intelligence dog training program/game/whatever, and it has a cult following in Japan (go figure...they just can't seem to get enough 'cute', can they?) And I have two different (small) box scans for the two aforementioned versions. And even after I obtain it, it will still need to be cracked!
Old 27 February 2002, 01:10   #20
DPainter

Looks like some eBay sellers are already trying to make coin off of these great deals. He's selling them in lots of two. .Here's another that may be from the same source.

Twistin': Any "must have" Amiga originals that you and others want? I'm hunting in a surplus software store this weekend and want to buy intelligently rather than purely nostalgically.