English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 23 February 2018, 23:10   #1
Sinphaltimus

Opening CLI with ToolManager

so I am customizing ToolManager.
I wrote several scripts that work in TM no problem, gave them buttons on one of my 2 docks.

Originally, the scripts would just perform a function for me. But there is room for error that I wanted to avoid.

when the scripts execute via button push, no CLI or feedback is given but I can test specific functions and know the script worked by the results.

But now, I have input from the user in my scripts using ASK.
My scripts work fine if I run them manually from a shell but not when I push the buttons on the dock.

I just need to know how to open a shell then execute the scrip using a button on a dock via ToolManager.

I tried the push to front check box for the objects and I tried default and Workbench for public screen but nothing happens.

I'm very much new to this and learning as I go, any help is greatly appreciated.

To summarize
, when I click a button on a dock to run a script, I want the CLI SHELL window to open so I can see what is going on and answer any questions in the script.
Old 23 February 2018, 23:38   #2
Sinphaltimus

I found this in one of the on-line toolmanager docs But I don't understand anything in the amigaDOS manual regarding CON: or how to do this in ToolManager.

SOURCE:http://cd.textfiles.com/amigaacs/ami...oolManager.txt

- How can I create an output window for shell programs?

Output windows can be created by using the [1mCON:[0m device. Use the
following file name to create an auto-open window with a close
gadget which doesn't close after the program has quit:

CON:10/10/640/100/Output-Window/AUTO/CLOSE/WAIT

EDIT:OK I typed the above line into the output file path for the script object and it does two things. It opens the script in a window which I like but it also opens a shell in front of the window which I do not like. I'm going to play with it more but any definitive answers would be great.

EDIT: OK, I removed /WAIT from the above line and now the window closes after execution which is great but the CLI window that also opens up stays open. Any ideas?

Last edited by Sinphaltimus; 23 February 2018 at 23:51.
Old 24 February 2018, 00:12   #3
daxb

There are different solutions. One is to make a script with icon and IconX as default tool. Then use tooltype WINDOW=CON:... to your needs. Select Workbench start instead of Shell in ToolManager.

As suggested you can avoid windows when you use the command RequestChoice instead of Ask.
Old 24 February 2018, 00:45   #4
Sinphaltimus

Ok am approaching this from a ZERO knowledge perspective.

I do not understand how RequestChoice works without an example.
Using ASK works perfectly.

But when I add these scripts to toolmanager, they don't open a CLI for me to answer the questions or read the echoes. When I put that above CON: line without the /WAIT, I get exactly the window I want plus one I do not want. I actually do not want to see the empty shell window that pops up over the "window" opened by CON:

I am slowly coming to grips with CON: from this link: http://www.jaruzel.com/apps/AmigaOS-.../NEWSHELL.html

But I don't understand the CLI window part. Nor do I understand how to incorporate the RequestChoice option. Nor do I understand the icon and iconX or how to use tooltypes.

I've attached a zip file containing my scripts and a screenshot of the ToolManager setup as well as the window and CLI that popup to better communicate where I'm at.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Scripts.zip (160.9 KB, 85 views)
Old 24 February 2018, 01:06   #5
Sinphaltimus

I figured it out. two things I did wrong. In my troubleshooting I oput the CLI command in my mountsd script and forgot to delete it.

Also, I had to click TO FRONT for it to work.

Everything is now perfect.
Old 24 February 2018, 12:26   #6
daxb

Read this: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?...=requestchoice or http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?...=requestchoice for requestchoice examples.

For IconX: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?...ighlight=iconx and for sure more to find.
Old 24 February 2018, 18:43   #7
Sinphaltimus

Thank you daxb.

I have these marked for later to read (printed to PDF) and will certainly be taking a closer look at them.
Old 24 February 2018, 20:24   #8
Sinphaltimus

So here is the finished package of scripts, Thanks everyone. Thought I'd share -

They are specific to Vampire accelerators equipped with ARANANET SDNet adaptors and using RoadShow TCP/IP.

https://mega.nz/#!fVFzGCIS!50AruiodK...aArgfIFLRPzDEo