English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General

Old 20 September 2017, 21:13   #1
oRBIT
Zone Friend

Sourcecontrol?

Just curious, any Amiga asmcoders here that uses some kind of "sourcecontrol" (SVN/GIT/Whatever) for their stuff?
I'm just looking for inspiration and I am interested in how you guys are working with your stuff.
Personally I'm running an SVN-server on my NAS (I'm using WinUAE on my Windows-machine...), but Tortoise SVN sometimes complains when I want to compare versions (especially if Asm-One has "saved marks" in these files) which annoys me.
Old 20 September 2017, 21:34   #2
phx
Natteravn

Quote:
Originally Posted by oRBIT View Post
Just curious, any Amiga asmcoders here that uses some kind of "sourcecontrol" (SVN/GIT/Whatever) for their stuff?
I'm using CVS for all projects since 15 years or so, running on my server (sun.hasenbraten.de), which is also a NAS now. It was a full-blown Sun Sparc Server in the past.

Never needed much more than that for my small projects. GIT would be overkill and requires so many resources that you are forced to develop on a powerful system. I can use CVS even on my 68k Amigas.

The server runs some daily scripts, which check out the current version for some of my projects, builds them with cross compilers, and creates release and snapshot archives.

Quote:
Tortoise SVN sometimes complains when I want to compare versions (especially if Asm-One has "saved marks" in these files) which annoys me.
Yes, I remember that Asm-One inserts some binary stuff at the beginning of a file. Maybe you can build a script to strip that from the sources before committing them?
Old 20 September 2017, 22:11   #3
Cylon

I'm adding a different number at the end of each file with significant changes (.bak are automatic). The entire sourcecode base directory is saved every once in awhile to as much local places as possible.....
That's my sourcecontrol....
Old 21 September 2017, 06:02   #4
a/b

Asm-one is saving bookmarks in a binary format, you can disable that in settings (A-[): general, uncheck save marks.
If you are actually using them, well then you'll most likely have to preprocess (e.g. make an alias for preprocess to tmp file and then diff that), as already mentioned.

Last edited by a/b; 21 September 2017 at 06:09.
Old 21 September 2017, 09:33   #5
meynaf
son of 68k

Backup copies once in a while, file copy or if/endc for big or temporary changes...
Sometimes running a diff util on two versions.
This is the only source control I need for asm.
Old 21 September 2017, 11:04   #6
zero

Git can handle binary files without issue.
Old 21 September 2017, 18:44   #7
phx
Natteravn

Most revision control systems can handle binaries. But you want them as text to see the diffs between two versions.
Old 21 September 2017, 23:10   #8
Leffmann

I'm using Git when cross-developing, mainly because it seemed to be the most popular choice.

I use a simple script that clones a default repo acting as a starter project. The build-script automatically makes a temporary commit for every succesful build, and when I'm happy with the changes I squash all the temporaries into a single proper commit.

The editor has Git integration, and most commands for building and "Gitting" are bound to hotkeys. For ASM-One you'd have to step out of WinUAE, I don't think there's any Amiga port of Git, but things could be set up to work without too much hassle.

I have no NAS or other kind of server, just two computers in a LAN, and one of them runs a Git server that I can push to for backing up or sharing to the other computer, but most of the time I just keep a simple local repo on the hard drive.
Old 22 September 2017, 08:40   #9
Locutus

I have a NFS mount on the Amiga which on the server side is a git repository, works for me.
Old 22 September 2017, 11:34   #10
Apollo

doing cross-assembling from linux

I have a complete tree under git control, including fs-uae configuration files, kickstarts, workbench disks, documentation and of course the assembler sources. This way I can setup a "build" environment in a couple of minutes under linux which means, installing fs-uae, compiling vasm, vlink, and creating a local clone of the central git which is on AWS CodeCommit.
Old 22 September 2017, 12:10   #11
patrik

If running the client on the amiga is a requirement, there is a subversion client available.

I havent tried that port myself, but compared to cvs, svn does support renaming of files without loosing history (no, hacking the csv repo files manually to do a rename with intact history doesn’t count) and handles binaries better.
Old 22 September 2017, 21:19   #12
oRBIT
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cylon View Post
I'm adding a different number at the end of each file with significant changes (.bak are automatic). The entire sourcecode base directory is saved every once in awhile to as much local places as possible.....
That's my sourcecontrol....
I did this aswell back in the good old days, I probably still have several hundred versions of my A/NES NES-emulator .