English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.UAE Wishlist

Old 10 September 2012, 00:28   #21
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

I'll say it again, I'd love to see a Stella-like TV CRT simulation effect.

Indeed, it doesn't (yet) simulate curvature, but that could be added later.

...well, I'm sorry for the HUGE pic, but it has to be 1:1 otherwise you can't see the differences.

(wait 2 secs for the pic to change between ON and OFF)

My Amiga days were all played on horribly big CRT TVs, and an image like this was the norm
Old 15 September 2012, 02:02   #22
Leandro Jardim

Very cool screen shot jbenam. I dont know if that filter have this problem, but the PAL filter of WinUAE draws "color bands" in high resolution pictures with copper rainbow effects that make it looks very poor in quality (a bit like in very old VHS). Thats the only thing in the PAL filter I dont like or dont want to see anymore in WinUAE.

Maybe that filter would be a good improvement to the filter system of WinUAE, to replace the VICE PAL filter. Looking at the filter panel of Stella, it looks to be very complete and maybe should be possible to emulate a NTSC display with it.

A filter doesnt have the be very realistic to be fun, and it would be impossible for the WinUAE community to build a such filter from scratch. But most emulators like MAME and SNes9X have this feature, one way or another.

There are people that doesnt like this effect but it is really a success in all emulators that it is implemented. Maybe its not the right time to implement it now, and would make the WinUAE core programming more difficult, but this is another history...

Last edited by Leandro Jardim; 23 September 2012 at 01:47.
Old 22 September 2012, 21:59   #23
galu

This looks kinda authentic. It's from a freeware PC game: http://www.piratehearts.com/blog/gam...-win-the-game/
Old 22 September 2012, 22:18   #24
s2325
Zone Friend

I remeber some less-known NES emulator have similar effect.
Old 25 September 2012, 17:07   #25
fishyfish
Banned

It's funny. The majority of people using real hardware for their retro system fix tend to want to remove themselves from some of these sorts of annoying legacy things (I detest my 1084s monitor), while a lot of people using emulation want to recreate them
Old 26 September 2012, 05:39   #26
Supamax
Da Digger :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishyfish View Post
It's funny. The majority of people using real hardware for their retro system fix tend to want to remove themselves from some of these sorts of annoying legacy things (I detest my 1084s monitor), while a lot of people using emulation want to recreate them

However, I LOVE my Philips CM 8833 monitor...
Old 29 September 2012, 23:10   #27
Photon

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishyfish View Post
Yeah, I don't get it either. Why not get the real thing? It's not THAT much of a bother.

That said, I heavily doubt you have any basis for your 'majority' thrown-in statistic Anyway.

1084s in 32" would be a dream come true for me. As it is, my 32" TV looks great Bit different intensities, tiny cable-shadow, but.
Old 30 September 2012, 02:39   #28
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon View Post
Yeah, I don't get it either. Why not get the real thing? It's not THAT much of a bother.

That said, I heavily doubt you have any basis for your 'majority' thrown-in statistic Anyway.

1084s in 32" would be a dream come true for me. As it is, my 32" TV looks great Bit different intensities, tiny cable-shadow, but.
Why not get the real thing?

For shed loads of reasons.

Emulation is free, instant, and infinitely more flexible. There's 3 reasons for ya
Old 30 September 2012, 11:09   #29
Photon

Quote:
Originally Posted by killergorilla View Post
Why not get the real thing?

For shed loads of reasons.

Emulation is free, instant, and infinitely more flexible. There's 3 reasons for ya
The context was being retro enough to want CRT emulation. If you want the curvature, and the glare too, why not go the last 10 yards and have a CRT at home for console/computer needs?

ps. So kgwhdload f.ex. isn't instant, free and flexible? I think they are strange reasons anyway. Most emulation solutions allow people to just plop a bunch of the games onto a card and use it on the real thing. That difference is not very big at all to me.

It's more convenient. That's all. Unless you have a TV with 2-3 consoles plugged into it, then it's more convenient to insert a game off the shelf, on button, and grab the controller. I have a NES 8-bit, a CD32, and an A1200-060 with WHDLoad connected to mine.

But some parts of CRT emulation would perhaps counter the "original colors on 1000:1 contrast ratio LED screens" effect -- with no pillow shaped pixels and no scanlines, the lores picture blown up looks extremely sharply pixelated, and also the color dynamics are out of the window, so any subtle reds look like toy store advert text. That's, for me, is where it would be awesome.
Old 30 September 2012, 14:09   #30
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Ah sorry! Thought you were talking about getting a real Amiga

Nobody wants anything as big as a CRT anymore!

kgwhdload may be instant, free and flexible, but if you don't own an Amiga you can't download one over the internet
Old 30 September 2012, 17:49   #31
Photon

Quote:
Originally Posted by killergorilla View Post
Nobody wants anything as big as a CRT anymore!
Sure they do, they get even bigger ones like a 50" flatscreen... and then put it 10 paces away from the sofa.

Anyway, I have a 32" CRT, and if I could get a bigger one I would. So that's one at least.
Old 20 November 2012, 22:50   #32
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon View Post
It is if you've got barely some space for a single A1200 on your desk

I can't seriously imagine where I would put a behemoth like a CRT on this uber-busy desk
Old 21 November 2012, 18:54   #33
Photon

Do you mean that you have some sort of monitor switch to a shared PC TFT?

Because I can understand that fitting more than one computer (well, keyboard) on one desk is tricky (due to TFTs having roughly the same size foot, but being wider). It's also not a very good idea.

There are all sorts of imaginative solutions, like getting another desk or one of those computer tables for your Amiga (or PC). Imagine all the extra desk real estate that could be cluttered up in no time
Old 11 December 2016, 01:00   #34
emufan

WinVice got some VIC II CRT Emulation in it's Video settings - is it something you (Toni) can
use in winuae?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	crt.png
Views:	195
Size:	4.3 KB
ID:	51274  
Old 11 December 2016, 02:06   #35
Leandro Jardim

Quote:
Originally Posted by emufan View Post
WinVice got some VIC II CRT Emulation in it's Video settings - is it something you (Toni) can
use in winuae?
As far I know the PAL filter on WinUAE is the same filter used on CRT Emulation on WinVICE.

Looks like there are not many Direct3D HLSL filters for use in emulators and other apps today, which is strange since most games produced today runs on Windows. And many programmers began on Amiga, DOS, etc. for which there are many emulators today, but there is nobody for converting OpenGL filters to DirectX or creating new HLSL filters for scratch for these emulators. Would be nice to see someone doing that now. The most cool OpenGL filters I've seen are "crt-hyllian-glow.cgp" and "crt-royale-intel.cgp". Both should work on Intel graphics chipsets so they are best for everyone, but only the first runs at 100% speed on most computers.
Old 11 December 2016, 02:07   #36
honx

yeah, such crt emulation with curvature would be a nice feature!
Old 11 December 2016, 02:22   #37
Leandro Jardim

Quote:
Originally Posted by honx View Post
yeah, such crt emulation with curvature would be a nice feature!
Curvature when done right is a nice feature, but I haven't seen yet a HLSL filter that reproduces the effect with fidelity, and on Intel chipsets "crt-royale-intel.cgp" disables it by default, so I can't see all it's glory . What exactly I love from those two shaders is the halation effect, which "crt-hyllian-glow.cgp" is the best because it runs very fast without slowness at all on my computer.
Old 11 December 2016, 11:29   #38
nobody

it's very easy to do such a filter in Paintshop with 3 or 4 moves, if someone is interested i can explain

---->

there are 2 things they forget when they try to reproduce the crt effect, ghosting and the superb contrast of the crt, these are included in the above picture

Last edited by nobody; 11 December 2016 at 11:41.
Old 11 December 2016, 12:05   #39
Michael Sykes
WinUAE end user

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody View Post
it's very easy to do such a filter in Paintshop with 3 or 4 moves, if someone is interested i can explain
It's not that you can save it, as D3D shader filter, and use it in WinUAE.
I think doing it in Photoshop or PSP is not the problem here.

EDIT: maybe this would help...
http://store.steampowered.com/app/314720/

Last edited by Michael Sykes; 11 December 2016 at 12:12.
Old 11 December 2016, 12:10   #40
nobody

I just want to show the method, not to save and use it in WinUAE.