Old 03 June 2011, 13:45   #41
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
good to see you done the vids
Old 06 June 2011, 02:51   #42
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Fitzsteve I would like to ask you a favour: Perhaps you could make a "guide" of how to install OS 4.1 from a virging CF, telling when and how do you install CyberGraphX, the steps and everything else for a newbie from the beginning. I know it won't be easy, but it would be a great thing at least for me.

Surely you're still upgrading it, but you could tell how you've done till now.

Last edited by Retrofan; 06 June 2011 at 03:00.
Old 06 June 2011, 22:28   #43
RMK

Steve,

Thanks for taking the time to make the videos. OS4.1 looks great-really modern. It was interesting to see OWB running. Again, it looks great, but I now see what everyone means with regards to the speed.

Well done.
Old 06 June 2011, 22:40   #44
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofan View Post
Fitzsteve I would like to ask you a favour: Perhaps you could make a "guide" of how to install OS 4.1 from a virging CF, telling when and how do you install CyberGraphX, the steps and everything else for a newbie from the beginning. I know it won't be easy, but it would be a great thing at least for me.

Surely you're still upgrading it, but you could tell how you've done till now.
Hi Fernando,

OS4.1 comes with a full printed manual and FAQ. There is no need to install 3rd party drivers as the supported hardware is supported right out of the box.

All you have to do is instal from the CD following the on screen instructions, in fact the hardest part is getting it to boot from the CD and this is explained fully in the manual. If you have a 4Way IDE and CDROM/HDD or CF they both need to be on the same primary IDE port then they will be detected when you boot from the supplied Floppy Disk.

OS4.1 then boots and you are presented with the install option or you can run 'Live' from the CD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK View Post
Steve,

Thanks for taking the time to make the videos. OS4.1 looks great-really modern. It was interesting to see OWB running. Again, it looks great, but I now see what everyone means with regards to the speed.

Well done.

No problem at all, I'm glad you enjoyed them and I enjoyed making them!

Indeed its a very modern OS compared to what we had before, its just a shame there isn't much in the way of new software being developed for it and that it only supports some of the hardware available to the Mediator.

Steve.
Old 06 June 2011, 23:04   #45
amigakit.com

OK, here is the list of some of the AmigaOS 4.1 Classic supported hardware we have in stock right now:

SATA 4-Port Raid card for Mediator
10Mbps PCI Network Card (Mediator)
Radeon 9250 PCI 128MB Graphics Card
Subway USB

We sold out of 128MB Memory last week, but it will be back in stock in a few days.
Old 27 July 2011, 23:52   #46
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Hey All,

Following a guide Jurassic wrote over at Amibay I setup my OS4.1 Classic so that it loads the Kickstart files off the Native IDE and then continues to boot from the SATA HDD attached to me SATA Raid Card

So anyway I thought I'd share this with ya'll

Its hard to demonstrate the SATA with Photo's lol but anyway you'll get the idea

So first up here's OS4.1 loaded up from the Live CD, luckily I had a backup of my SYS in .lha on my Work Partition so no need to reinstall...

I followed Jurasicc's instructions with regards to Kicklayout and file structure on the BOOT Partition, only difference is my SATA drive was SDH0. After copying the files and adjusting the Kicklayout files I switched off and gave her a cold start.

YAY!! \o/

Booted first time

As you can see I have a few drives there, BOOT is hidden, OS41Work/Games are the old IDE drives. I just need to transfer the files to SATA1/2 which are my new SATA Partitions. OS41SYS is the SDH0 from the SATA drive.

As you can see I have a few PCI Cards installed. Keropi kindly donated an ESS SOLO 1 Soundcard to me and I'm pleased to report its working perfect with OS4.1 Classic - Thanks again my friend

Here's a couple of shots from Ranger with my System Specs/Info:

Here's the partition info, its a little quick and dirty but all works - I'll probably do away with the IDE drive and just use a small CF to start the booting

I did have a SWAP Partition at the end but I deleted as my System was locking up before, I've not had any lockups since so I'm guessing I done something wrong there and will go back and RTFM before creating another one

Here's the Partitions with BOOT hidden:

And some more partition details:

Big thanks again to Jurassic, your awesome little guide was easy to follow, so easy even I could get it working first time!

And here is Jurassics guide for anyone else who wants to have a try:

Quote:
What you need to do is the following:-

Install OS4.1 on to a small HD or compact flash from the CD.
A SFS/00 partition, 512MB Bootable called BOOT: under the first 4GB for example will do and keep it on the native IDE.

Add your SATA Controller (sii 3512 is the better 2 port card or sii3114 for 4 port) connect up your sata harddrive / sata cdrom and power up.

Mediatoolbox will now show scsi.device and sii3xxxide.device

Select the sii3xxxide.device and read the drive config.
Create a FFS2 DOS7 or SFS/00 DH0: partition, 512MB, bootable will do in mediatoolbox.
Create a 255MB SWAP: partition as per the FAQ and move it to the end of the sata disk, leave the rest in the middle blank for now.

Reboot

Quick format DH0: on the sata drive, but don't try to format SWAP

From the shell

CD BOOT:
Copy #? all clone DH0:

This will copy your OS4.1 install to your sata drive partition DH0:

You can now delete everything off boot: except for the following drawers

Kickstart
C
S

In C: and S: on boot: all you need is s:startup-sequence and c:bootloader & C:ata3.driver

Now create a text file called bootdevice with just the text 'DH0', nothing else and save it as BOOT:kickstart/bootdevice

Open BOOT:kickstart/kicklayout-A1200 in notepad

Uncomment the bootdevice line at the bottom of the kicklayout file by removing the ';'

Open a shell and type:-
Reboot sync

This will close all filesystems down gracefully and perform a cold clean reboot

Your kickstart will now boot from BOOT: using the native IDE, similar to powering on the A1200 under 3.9 and setpatch adding the AmigaOS ROM Update. Once the kickstart modules have been loaded it will soft reboot.

Workbench will now boot from DH0: on the sata drive instead of BOOT:

*Open a shell and type fc-cache -fv to rebuild the font cache if you accidently didn't use the clone option when copying from one partition to the other, you might need to do this twice on SFS/00 partitions.

Things you can experiment with now are:-

Remove your native IDE CD-Rom drive and put your old 3.5" hardrive on there instead as slave.
Prep the unused space in the middle of the sata drive, I recommend JXF/04 but if you want it visible from 3.9 use SFS/00 and copy over your data.

You can delete the kickstart drawer from DH0: as it not needed in this setup now.

AmigaOS 4.1 will now use its memory pager when physical memory gets low as you have a swap partition available.

If you don't want the native IDE available under OS 4.1 you can comment the following line out of boot:kickstart/kicklayout-a1200

Module kickstart/A1200/scsi.device

From now on you will have a pure SATA system under OS 4.1, with only the native IDE used to boot the 4.1 ROM
Hope you enjoyed that and it helps some others get a little more out of OS4.1 Classic.

PS. I had some issues with SFS/00 and A1200 IDE so you might be safer with FFS for the little BOOT Partition...

Steve.

Last edited by fitzsteve; 28 July 2011 at 00:03.
Old 20 December 2011, 01:31   #47
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Right now I'm installing OS4.1. If I were them I would had make some option to create your BootFloppy with your Idefix already installed to boot with it from the Cd, instead of having to open the Amiga and change the IDE channel.
Old 20 December 2011, 01:35   #48
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Right now I'm installing OS4.1. If I were them I would had make some option to create your BootFloppy with your Idefix already installed to boot with it from the Cd, instead of having to open the Amiga and change the IDE channel.
We cant include software we dont have permission to distribute.

I think it would be more beneficial to have the cd bood loader activate the second ide channel on interface instead of IDEFIX.
Old 20 December 2011, 09:46   #49
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL View Post
We cant include software we dont have permission to distribute.
OS3.9 hasn't permision to distribute Idefix, but if you make an Emergency Disk, it will ask that as you're using it (you've got it installed) if you want the E-Disk to be using it, so it copy Your files (or you could use the Demo version even).
Really I tried to get it working and I copied atapi.device, idefix and CacheCdfs in it's drawers. I added Idefix at the first line in the s-s, with Wait later, but it wasn't working right (was booting, but not reading the Cd). Anyway, if it could boot from the second channel without IDEfix, ok for me.

I would like to know which is the list of compatible Pcmcia Wifi cards, and to know if my Orinoco Gold is compatible (and if I can use prism2.device).

EDIT:
I've found this: http://www.hd-zone.com/2011/09/amiga...tibility-list/ BTW good to find this blog.
So, it means that for a desktop A1200 I only can try with Poseidon and Ethernet using a USB NIC, doesn't it?

"USB devices compatible with Poseidon are not listed here. They all should work except for USB Sound cards which require an additional file named usbaudio.a.main to be placed in LIBS: After a cold restart your USB sound card should be available in AHI prefs. Poseidon must be started in order for the sound to work.".(For old threads I see not for Subway but for Deneb.)

Last edited by Retrofan; 20 December 2011 at 10:33.
Old 20 December 2011, 11:10   #50
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
OS3.9 hasn't permision to distribute Idefix, but if you make an Emergency Disk, it will ask that as you're using it (you've got it installed) if you want the E-Disk to be using it, so it copy Your files (or you could use the Demo version even).
Really I tried to get it working and I copied atapi.device, idefix and CacheCdfs in it's drawers. I added Idefix at the first line in the s-s, with Wait later, but it wasn't working right (was booting, but not reading the Cd). Anyway, if it could boot from the second channel without IDEfix, ok for me.

I would like to know which is the list of compatible Pcmcia Wifi cards, and to know if my Orinoco Gold is compatible (and if I can use prism2.device).

EDIT:
I've found this: http://www.hd-zone.com/2011/09/amiga...tibility-list/ BTW good to find this blog.
So, it means that for a desktop A1200 I only can try with Poseidon and Ethernet using a USB NIC, doesn't it?

"USB devices compatible with Poseidon are not listed here. They all should work except for USB Sound cards which require an additional file named usbaudio.a.main to be placed in LIBS: After a cold restart your USB sound card should be available in AHI prefs. Poseidon must be started in order for the sound to work.".(For old threads I see not for Subway but for Deneb.)

You dont need idefix, you just need the atapi.device, cd0 mount file and CDFS. This is how i use the second channel.

As I said, it would be nice if the OS4.1 boot cd app, did activate the second channel.
Old 20 December 2011, 11:19   #51
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

@Retrofan,

OS4.1 Classic isn't really a lot of use on your setup, although supported BVision has only 8mb VRAM and really suffers for this.

Most OS4.x apps are coded for faster SamEP/AmigaOne setups and will not run well at all on 166-300mhz PPC

The best Classic experience is on a CyberStormPPC with Mediator Di and Radeon 9200 due to the faster 64bit Memory.

The best option for an A1200 is Mediator 1200TX and Radeon/ESS Solo Audio/PCI NIC. I have mine setup like this and also a PCI SATA card for the HDD the OS is installed on (you can see from my post above how I set that up)

Still, it's not fast enough to have an enjoyable OS which is why I bought the AmigaOne, I must say that after all the money I spent on this project to use OS4.1 classic I was very disappointed.

I mostly use OS3.9/AfA for a slick/fast workbench and Voodoo3 for Warp3D fun

For your setup, sure have a play with the OS on your BVision setup, just don't expect too much other than a proof on concept and a slightly better Web Broswser. I guess the best bit is not having to mess around install Warp3D and all the drivers for USB/etc.

Steve.
Old 20 December 2011, 11:20   #52
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Ah Fol, ok that's why it wasn't working even with those files in the Bootflopy.

Is Delfina supported? And which drivers? I installed the latest in OS3.9 with AfaOS and it crashed, but wasn't doing with the older.

Fitzsteve you are right, and that's precisely why I would like to have with it Internet working.

Last edited by Retrofan; 20 December 2011 at 11:27.
Old 20 December 2011, 11:23   #53
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Quote:
Is Delfina supported? And which drivers? I installed the latest in OS3.9 with AfaOS and it crashed, but wasn't doing with the older.
Are you on Amibay? I'm sure Phipscube had a thread about trying to get the Delphina working on OS4.1 Classic. I don't think it was supported, AFAIK all supported hardware is listed in the manual.

Steve.
Old 20 December 2011, 11:32   #54
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Thanks. Sure. I will search for it, but he should have posted it here too .EDIT: I think what you say is in his thread here, the final posts.

Last edited by Retrofan; 20 December 2011 at 11:58.
Old 20 December 2011, 12:41   #55
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

Delfina isn't working fine in OS4.1
AFAIK Phipscube and some other guys over a.org never managed to make Delfina work as intended under OS4.1
I surely never tried it as well. Under OS3.9 it works LIKE A CHARM though, both as a sound card and an MPEG decoder.
Old 22 December 2011, 14:26   #56
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

I was thinking I coudn't get the Pcmcia Wifi card working with OS4.1, as they aren't in the list of compatible hardware and prism2.device wasn't working, and that somebody would have to fix it, but...

Neil Cafferkey already did it. Now I am posting using my Orinoco Pcmcia Wifi card using Origyn Web Browser in my A1200/PFS3/OS4.1.

You only have to use the prism2.device for 68k, not the one for os4, and copy the rest of files, including pccard.library in libs. Really it goes very very slow writting now, but at least it works.

Edit: Oh, it goes much faster with IBrowse.

Here are the files:

http://os4depot.net/index.php?functi...ork/prism2.lha

I'm using Poseidon too. The only difference is that when installing you only have to mark the drivers you really have.
Old 22 December 2011, 14:31   #57
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Nice work Retrofan
Old 22 December 2011, 14:33   #58
ancalimon
Supernormal

Retrofan: A friend can't make OS4.1 see the wireless PCMCIA network card bought from Amigakit on his A1200. Should I tell him to use that version you posted?

Should he use the cardreset and cardpatch commands like he does with OS3.9?
Old 22 December 2011, 14:44   #59
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancalimon View Post
Retrofan: A friend can't make OS4.1 see the wireless PCMCIA network card bought from Amigakit on his A1200. Should I tell him to use that version you posted?

Should he use the cardreset and cardpatch commands like he does with OS3.9?
Sure. But make sure after using the install option, that pccard is in libs. About the cardreset and cardpatch I'm not using them, even when I tried I received some message about it coudn't execute them I believe to remember.

I think this prism2.device should be in Aminet or at least in our file server. It wasn't easy to find it, as the first link I found wasn't working.

Last edited by Retrofan; 22 December 2011 at 15:04.
Old 22 December 2011, 15:30   #60
ancalimon
Supernormal

Quote:
Sure. But make sure after using the install option, that pccard is in libs. About the cardreset and cardpatch I'm not using them, even when I tried I received some message about it coudn't execute them I believe to remember.

I think this prism2.device should be in Aminet or at least in our file server. It wasn't easy to find it, as the first link I found wasn't working.
Well he already installed the software that came with the floppy and pccard.library is in libs. It's the same software that can be found in Aminet.