English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 28 September 2008, 11:19   #401
NovaCoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rixa View Post
That takes care of the protruding and obviously conducting parts. I wouldn't turn the thing on like this, though. For testing I've had a sheet of paper rest between the shield and the board, and its still working. I'm thinking maybe it would be a good idea to attach a thin sheet of plastic or sticky paper to the underside of the shield for a more permanent insulation solution.

Any comments? Am I lucky to not have blown the thing up yet?
That's a nice mod but I still think it's safer to just ditch the top RF shield.
Old 28 September 2008, 11:56   #402
Rixa

@Ratte,

Same result in SUPER72 laced with your disk. I took a picture, not very clear but the distortion is well visible in the text and the top of the ram disk icon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s72laced.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	18132  
Old 29 September 2008, 01:40   #403
NovaCoder

Has anyone here tried the 'sanding fix' for HP lisa's yet and if so, what were the results?
Old 29 September 2008, 02:17   #404
pbareges

you hardware geniuses may find me totally stupid but jens helped me solved the sync issues (random blank screens) with my lcd : infact i did not mind grounding the vga connector at first.. i just plugged in a vga cable and thought this would work...listening to jens advice i linked vga connector ground to amiga ground and now my picture stays synced all the time...it is really the best amiga video rendering on any flat screen i ever saw, the whole stuff running at 50hz with perfect scrolling !!great piece of hardware indeed ! i'm totally amazed, much better than my previous xrgb 2 box!
Old 29 September 2008, 03:32   #405
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbareges View Post
you hardware geniuses may find me totally stupid but jens helped me solved the sync issues (random blank screens) with my lcd : infact i did not mind grounding the vga connector at first.. i just plugged in a vga cable and thought this would work...listening to jens advice i linked vga connector ground to amiga ground and now my picture stays synced all the time...it is really the best amiga video rendering on any flat screen i ever saw, the whole stuff running at 50hz with perfect scrolling !!great piece of hardware indeed ! i'm totally amazed, much better than my previous xrgb 2 box!
Some more info on how you did this please.
Old 29 September 2008, 04:01   #406
pbareges

i took an old pc metal frame used to close an unused pci slot, cut it to clockport dimension, cut a hole the size of the vga connector, and insured contact between adjacent mouse port ground, this metal frame and the vga connector with provided screws...good luck!
Old 29 September 2008, 12:06   #407
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

Wow, what a difference the commodore Lisa can do. this thing is now rock solid all the time.
Old 30 September 2008, 06:20   #408
gklinger
Vegetable Lasagna

Tonight I managed to flash my Indivision without blowing anything up (win!) and I thought I'd give HighGFX a go to see what all the fuss is about. It works and looks lovely but 1024 x 768 seems like a lateral upgrade because I was previously using PAL Super High-Res Laced at 1392 x 560. Clearly I'm missing something here. What's the big advantage of HighGFX?

P.S. I'm not talking about the wide screen resolutions which I haven't had the nerve to try yet. I can see that being useful to avoid scaling.
Old 30 September 2008, 06:23   #409
illy5603

Send a message via MSN to illy5603
Quote:
Originally Posted by gklinger View Post
Tonight I managed to flash my Indivision without blowing anything up (win!) and I thought I'd give HighGFX a go to see what all the fuss is about. It works and looks lovely but 1024 x 768 seems like a lateral upgrade because I was previously using PAL Super High-Res Laced at 1392 x 560. Clearly I'm missing something here. What's the big advantage of HighGFX?

P.S. I'm not talking about the wide screen resolutions which I haven't had the nerve to try yet. I can see that being useful to avoid scaling.
My guess is that if you have an LCD monitor with a native resolution of 1024X768 which is very common, everything should center perfectly on the screen.
Old 30 September 2008, 07:21   #410
NovaCoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by illy5603 View Post
My guess is that if you have an LCD monitor with a native resolution of 1024X768 which is very common, everything should center perfectly on the screen.
Yep that's right, 1024x768 is a 4:3 resolution which matches CRT's and older (non-widescreen LCD's) unlike 1392 x 560.
Old 30 September 2008, 07:33   #411
gklinger
Vegetable Lasagna

I probably should have said that I was using a CRT. I did briefly connect the 1200 up to my LCD (which has a native resolution of 1680 x 1050) to see how that looked and granted, 1024 x 768 looked better than the other modes which seems odd given that they were all interpolated.

I forgot to take pictures.

Anyway, is it safe to say that the advantage of HighGFX is that it's 1024 x 768 which is a more common resolution?
Old 30 September 2008, 08:43   #412
illy5603

Send a message via MSN to illy5603
@gklinger,

Very safe to say. 1024X768 is also part of the XGA display standard unlike a lot of our old Amiga video modes.
Old 01 October 2008, 13:40   #413
Oliver_A
Soldering Ironman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rixa View Post
@Ratte,

Same result in SUPER72 laced with your disk. I took a picture, not very clear but the distortion is well visible in the text and the top of the ram disk icon.
What Kickstart/Workbench version are you using? Is this distortion also visible in Euro36 and Euro 72 interlaced modes?
Old 01 October 2008, 16:19   #414
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
I tried Virtual Karting and Virtual Karting II with my Indivision. The output is still corrupted. Would a flash update ever be able to fix this game for LCD screens?
Old 01 October 2008, 17:55   #415
StevenJGore
Amiga Fanatic

@DDNI: Virtual Karting II works fine here on my LCD monitor.

Are you sure you're not confusing the games crap graphics with display corruption?

(or maybe it is corrupted, and I'm just assuming it's crap graphics!)

Seriously though, perhaps post a pic of what it looks like on your monitor?

Steve.
Old 01 October 2008, 18:27   #416
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Hi Steven here is a screenie of the issue...

Last edited by DDNI; 28 December 2008 at 21:46.
Old 01 October 2008, 19:07   #417
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDNI View Post
I tried Virtual Karting and Virtual Karting II with my Indivision. The output is still corrupted. Would a flash update ever be able to fix this game for LCD screens?
It won't work without special firmware code because game expects composite/rf-quality signal to a TV. (it looks wrong with RGB connection too)

-> need special "blur"-superhiresmode

(same as UAE needed "smoothed hires" to show it correctly)
Old 01 October 2008, 19:38   #418
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Thx Toni, would it be feasible/possible to incorporate the firmware into an indivision flash update?
Old 01 October 2008, 19:52   #419
Rixa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver_A View Post
What Kickstart/Workbench version are you using? Is this distortion also visible in Euro36 and Euro 72 interlaced modes?
When booted with the indytest disk, kickstart 40.68 and wb 40.42. It's not visible in euro36 but in addition to super72 laced it is visible in euro72 productivity laced, as well as multiscan productivity laced and dblpal/dblntsc high res laced.

Hope I haven't broken the board, though this seems a fairly unlikely outcome if that were the case. I've not used these before, basically just PAL/NTSC. I even re-flashed the 1.1 firmware in case it was that, but it didn't help.

I'm not missing these resolutions but if they work for everybody else, then something is obviously up. I suppose I'll e-mail Jens in case he has any insight.
Old 01 October 2008, 20:00   #420
Oliver_A
Soldering Ironman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDNI View Post
Thx Toni, would it be feasible/possible to incorporate the firmware into an indivision flash update?
No, because a blur filter emulating the RF signal would take too much FPGA space, which can be better spent on improving the configurability of the Flickerfixer.

Relying on RF blurring is a very dirty trick, because it will only work on 1 special configuration. I think it's not our top priority to fix such lazyness.

Last edited by Oliver_A; 01 October 2008 at 20:11.