English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 14 September 2012, 11:39   #1
Nova

deliplayer alternative

hello,

i am looking for an alternative to deliplayer. it really served me well over the years, especially when converting exotic formats to wav. but since it became more and more difficult to run in win7 without weird problems, i need an alternative.

best would be a portable tool, playing various exotic formats and having a converter, too.

i already tried xmplay on converting some mods. but no matter what option i set, the wav will sound muffled compared to the old deliplayer ones.

the output should be in 16bit 44,1khz, but i want it crisp and pure without any optimization!

maybe you have some hints on an alternative or correct settings for xmplay?
Old 14 September 2012, 11:56   #2
Axxy

Can you define "exotic formats"?

Does this mean multichannel mods, ie .xm, .mod, .s3m, .it etc. or are you talking about the various formats on the Amiga, like .bp, .aon, sid etc. ?
Old 14 September 2012, 12:17   #3
Nova

hey axxman,

its about various amiga formats
Old 14 September 2012, 12:25   #4
Amiga1992

If it sounds "muffled" it could have to do with the settings.
Did you uncheck "use source resolution"?
I don't know, the WAVs I am outputting from XMPlay sound EXACTLY like the MODs I am playing.
Old 14 September 2012, 13:12   #5
Nova

akira, could you please post a pic of your output prefs?
Old 14 September 2012, 13:49   #6
Amiga1992

My pleasure:

Maybe you have an older version? Dunno. I haven't updated XMPlay in months.
As I said, it sounds EXACTLY as the original MOD. Let's also remember the original MOD has 8-bit samples at lower samplerate than 44100, so recording like this is plenty more than what the MOD can really handle.

If you got a particular module you want me to test convert, pass it along and i'll convert it to WAV for you and you can see if there are differences.
Old 14 September 2012, 15:15   #7
Nova

thanks for posting.

i have the same config with latest xmplay, but i found out that the mod tab holds the relevant options.

it is the interpolation that i forgot to turn off, and now the deliplayer wavs sound quite close (still bit different). and the length of the songs are different too.

there is a lot more options to set. any 'expert' knows which i have to set else in order to have 1:1 amiga format to wav 16bit 44,1khz.

ps: in deliplayer i always made sure to set every optimization off & it had a switch 'bypass sfx' before recording.
Old 14 September 2012, 15:18   #8
Amiga1992

Oh interpolation for sure needs to be turned off. But recording at 44100 16bit, as I said, exceeds the Amiga's spec, so that should be fine.
Old 15 September 2012, 10:25   #9
Nova

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
But recording at 44100 16bit, as I said, exceeds the Amiga's spec, so that should be fine.
yes sure, but i have some mods that i want to record and therefore i would like to have them in the same format (and sound) like my old deliplayer wavs.

turning off all optimizations like in deliplayer did not help, so it would be fine if someone has some further suggestions regarding options/plugins for xmplay.

but maybe recording the same mod with different players will never result in same (sounding) wavs and it is impossible anyway? i noticed a big difference in lenght for instance.

btw: can i use deliplayers amiga players with xmplay?
Old 15 September 2012, 13:21   #10
Amiga1992

Well I don't think I really understand the difference you talk about, so it would be best if you post a Deliplayer recording of a module and then the same on XMPlay so we can suggest a solution to your problem, if any at all... The length in XMPlay depends on where you play the MOD from. If you play them from the beginning, it should be the same.

Most if not all Deliplayers run on XMPlay with the Deli extension.
Old 15 September 2012, 16:55   #11
BuZz

Send a message via ICQ to BuZz
be interesting to compare with uade output also, which I use for the recording backend for http://www.exotica.org.uk/wiki/Special:Modland
Old 15 September 2012, 17:23   #12
Nova

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Well I don't think I really understand the difference you talk about, so it would be best if you post a Deliplayer recording of a module and then the same on XMPlay so we can suggest a solution to your problem, if any at all... The length in XMPlay depends on where you play the MOD from. If you play them from the beginning, it should be the same.

Most if not all Deliplayers run on XMPlay with the Deli extension.
im on a slow connection atm, so uploading is a bit difficult, sorry.

regarding the length, i checked a few more mods and it depends on the format, as far as i can tell. so i guess deliplayer interpreted the length of a module sometimes in a different way?

that is why i asked about using the amiga players from deliplayer, because i think then the output 'must be' as equal as possible. or am i wrong?

i have downloaded the delix extension, but i cant find pluginoptions for it. no need to set anything at all?

@ buzz: is there a win port to uade?
Old 15 September 2012, 17:25   #13
BuZz

Send a message via ICQ to BuZz
Quote:
@ buzz: is there a win port to uade?
some cygwin builds here - http://zakalwe.fi/uade/download.html - can probably compile from source on cygwin also.
Old 15 September 2012, 17:43   #14
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova View Post
i have downloaded the delix extension, but i cant find pluginoptions for it. no need to set anything at all?
Nope, just read the docs and figure out where to put the deli replayers, that's all.
As for the length, TFMX files do not have a recognizable length as far as I remember, so you could play them in XMPlay for as long as you want and record that. Or there may be a default number for formats that have no recognizable songlength.
Old 16 September 2012, 14:56   #15
Nova

there is also a (oldskool) plugin ini that i modified and now, the sound (exotic formats) is quite close. im only able to hear a little difference in direct comparison to deliplayer wavs, so i think thats just fine now.

ps: still i am interrested in testing other players. i had a look at uade, but unfortunately commandline is not my cup of tea that much
Old 28 November 2012, 08:28   #16
Bauxite69

Deliplayer on windows 8

Hi everyone,

Deliplayer 2.50 beta 1 works fine on windows 8 pro 64 !!!!

Thank you

Old 28 November 2012, 11:45   #17
AmigaFriend

I also use Deliplayer 2.50 beta 1 in Win7 64bit since 2009, as good as it worked on XP.

If you can be a bit more specific about the 'weird problems' maybe one could help.
Old 28 November 2012, 11:58   #18
wanderer
I want an A1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauxite69 View Post
Hi everyone, Deliplayer 2.50 beta 1 works fine on windows 8 pro 64 !!!! Thank you
It works, but with a tiny extra problem exclusive to Windows 8: drag'n'dropping a file into the playlist doesn't seem to work any more, at least not for me. Otherwise, still running great.
Old 28 November 2012, 14:07   #19
Nova

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpect View Post
If you can be a bit more specific about the 'weird problems' maybe one could help.
the problems are mentioned in this thread as well:http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=31307

no playback of many mods (but working under xp), strange balance problem, no mods shown in playlist...

i have a bunch of mods to convert and xmplay and delix have a quite big drawback. the songend detection is not implemented and so you have to cut the wavs manually. oldskool plugin has it working but a lot of exotic mods work better with delix.

that is why im still looking for an alternative.
Old 28 November 2012, 14:53   #20
wanderer
I want an A1000

Guess it'd be great if someone could take on Deliplayer's code and update it...