English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 10 November 2009, 02:07   #21
asm1

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2325 View Post
I see everyday how disabled people can write or draw, for them it's impossible to write like unfortunate Amiga user.
So now you're telling me that ALL Physically/Mentally Disabled people cant write or draw?

I'm sure you're not, but to suggest that "Disabled people" per se cannot write at all.... is ludicrous. I have seen MANY people with disabilities produce something similar to what this "Amiga User" has written. Perhaps it is safer to assume that they are stupid ?
Old 10 November 2009, 02:10   #22
Leffmann

Wouldn't say handicapped, thick nor stupid. A bit gullible perhaps and for sure didn't know a lot about Amigas.
Old 10 November 2009, 02:16   #23
s2325
Zone Friend

Not all, but none of my patients can write easily readable. They can draw, but it's on level of 3-5 years old.
Old 10 November 2009, 07:44   #24
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

Okay... gonna try an ligten this up a bit, as I am in a very good mood =D

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDNI View Post
LOL !!

Get a grip...
I have SOOOOO ripped that emoticon its UNREAL... it belongs to ME now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by asm1 View Post
... I live with a disability that makes me stand out, I've been bullied/mocked and had the piss taken out of me something chronic. So yes pat me on the head and patronise me if it makes you feel better.

It's been done before and I'm sure it will again.......

Andrew
my friend, relax... its not your fault you were an AtariST user as a child, I got over that dissability too (by keeping an A500 and buying an A600) =), slowly, with therapy you overcome these hurdles that the Atari ST placed in your life =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
the same way you don't either, so i'll opt for the less extreme of the two options and just assume he's thick
I have found if there are two ways to take somthing, one of them being good, the other being bad, 99.999% of the time, it is the worst most possible way some one will take it. (just like my wife =))

Personally I believe its fake Big G, the "(because of my Speeling)" was a bit over the top as mentioned before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leffmann View Post
Wouldn't say handicapped, thick nor stupid. A bit gullible perhaps and for sure didn't know a lot about Amigas.
If it is true, then its more down to gulliability. Still rather than pick on this dumb sap, I would be more inclined to kick the balls off the prick that felt he needed to rip him off by taking advantage of him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2325 View Post
Not all, but none of my patients can write easily readable. They can draw, but it's on level of 3-5 years old.
Not to ever belittle the work you do, I have the up most respect for working with those with mental / physcial dissabilites. It shows the inate compassion of the human soul IMHO.

saying that though, your post does describe most high-school leavers in Norfolk. =)
Old 10 November 2009, 08:58   #25
BrooksterMax

When he gets it working, I think he has the better deal. I would love an Amiga 1000, its more collectable.
Old 10 November 2009, 09:31   #26
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
wonder if he learnt any lessons fron the experiance ?
theres a saying "theres one born every minute" that comes to mind

if he`s still got it its worth a lot more than the 500

neat had writing, could`t tell about the spelling then I can`t spell for toffee

reads cu and has 500 for 2 years, must have been blinded by a good salesman
Old 10 November 2009, 10:31   #27
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Because it puts your mind at ease and means you don't have consider the possiblilty of guilt for mocking someone with a disability ?

Assumptions are wonderful (but flawed) cushions against things that we may not be comfortable dealing with...... So its easier to mock the guy for being "thick as pigsh1t" - rather than consider the fact that there (Just might) be more to it....
I prefer to think there isn't more to it, that way I don't become reactionary and a bit of a Daily Mail reader everytime I see or read something
Old 10 November 2009, 10:54   #28
DH
Global Moderator

This was all about a light hearted look at the misfortune of a CU Amiga reader who wrote a letter of their woes to the magazine.

My neice has a disability, she can't spell and her writing is flawed throughout, she even spells the same word wrong in many different ways. So my guess is that this dude was genuine regarding his request and knew nothing about what he was purchasing.

Unfortunately this has become something a little more than the humour that was intended. I'm sure if I was 16 and read that, I'd be LMAO and showing everybody I knew. What's different now, we are much older and wiser but we should all take it on the chin as humour.
Old 10 November 2009, 10:57   #29
haynor666
retro maniac

Quite funny, hard to believed in such situations.
Old 10 November 2009, 10:58   #30
seuden
uber cool demi god

That is hilariously unfortunate. I couldn't care less if the guy had a disability or not, he's the same as everyone else. I laugh at peoples misfortune's as well as people and I laugh at mine. There is way too much seriousness on this forum, a little more humour would make the world a better place.
Old 10 November 2009, 11:04   #31
skateblind
Village Idiot

Quote:
Lol... have you gueseed yet WHY I'm so pissed off ? N00000.

If the guy WAS handicapped in some way, then I don't think its fair to be quite so "amused" at his plight. I live with a disability that makes me stand out, I've been bullied/mocked and had the piss taken out of me something chronic. So yes pat me on the head and patronise me if it makes you feel better.

It's been done before and I'm sure it will again.......

Andrew
The letter does not state he is handicapped, so how can someone laugh about him being so? It is a hilarious letter, even if he is handicapped!

There are a fair few posters here like that.

Quote:
I just find it immensely irritating that people automatically make ASSUMPTIONS

Quote:
Originally Posted by asm1
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2325
I see everyday how disabled people can write or draw, for them it's impossible to write like unfortunate Amiga user.
So now you're telling me that ALL Physically/Mentally Disabled people cant write or draw
Seriously, what ever it is that you are smoking, pass it over here.
It is a funny letter no matter who the person is or what infliction they have, I couldn't care less.
Old 10 November 2009, 12:00   #32
asm1

Roll eyes (sarcastic)

@Zetro .... If only my problems were as simple as having an Atari ST when I was a child.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by skateblind View Post
Seriously, what ever it is that you are smoking, pass it over here.
@All Don't worry I've now had my "10 pills a day" and the painkillers have started to kick in. It was a stupid knee-jerk overreaction on my part fuelled by lack of sleep and my crankiness at being in pain (I cracked a rib when I fell down the stairs last week, which, disability notwithstanding is making things even more uncomfortable atm)

If there was a "White flag" emoticon... I'd wave it

Last edited by asm1; 10 November 2009 at 12:05.
Old 10 November 2009, 12:12   #33
skateblind
Village Idiot

*Hugs asm1*
Old 10 November 2009, 12:14   #34
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
think most of us here arn`t morning ppl LOL

moure fun oh and did I say thanks DDNI for brighting up my day
Old 10 November 2009, 12:22   #35
asm1

Quote:
Originally Posted by skateblind View Post
*Hugs asm1*
Ta although watch the ribs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicfrog View Post
think most of us here arn`t morning ppl LOL

moure fun oh and did I say thanks DDNI for brighting up my day
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDNI View Post

Is even better than the letter
Old 10 November 2009, 12:26   #36
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Strange you should post this with the Gordon Brown story in the news - Im a bit split as to what I think about this, its hardly Big! news.
Old 13 November 2009, 21:44   #37
Jonathan Drain

Heh, the "Amiga PC". I remember this story. I think it appeared in the magazine at one point.
Old 14 November 2009, 06:59   #38
ImmortalA1000

How dare you all act so damned insensitively!!!!!

The A1000 is a beautiful machine to use as an everyday OCS/ECS Amiga

Actually the retailer is probably an idiot, the buyer an optimistic A500 younger owner....the two collided and hilarity ensued with an NTSC A1000 (how did he get a picture on his TV? smells a bit fishy now). I believe the largest RAM possible on the A500 (not A500+) is 2mb? Or I think there was a Zorro slot expansion from GVP for 8mb extra so 9mb or 10mb if you installed obese Agnus. So............given the A1000 side expansion and A500 are identical but upside down and mirrored (it's on the left not right hand side see) what happens if you plug in said 8mb expansion upside down into the side of an A1000....is there some logic problem on the A1000 board preventing the addressing of this RAM? I only ask because all the A1000 side expansions were 512kb-2mb max....but then 8mb in 1986 would have cost as much as a Ferrari lulz

Anyway for playing games the A1000 rocks....a wise purchase methinks
Old 14 November 2009, 07:19   #39
Adropac2
Zone Friend

I used to take the piss out of my disabled buddy(sadly no longer here)because he was just like me except for not having full use of his body - we're all the same and there are no doubt plenty on eab that feel they don't even need to mention something like this of themselves

Generally i would think folk don't consider they're all that different outside of any differences they might have and only really get pissed when they're unfairly mocked in a nasty way - the world is full of dicks so it's going to happen but real decent sorts tend not to

I don't think anybody here is laughing because it's a mentally challenged person they are picturing, rather the stupidity of an individual - iv'e done some pretty stupid things and they deserve a laugh just like i guess we've all been dumb in some way at some point
Old 14 November 2009, 07:33   #40
TjLaZer

I once tried to trade my A1000 for a 520ST, in 1986! I don't know what I was thinking LOL. The shop ended up not following through on the deal (it was a new system and mine was used)

I ended up selling it to buy an A500 as it was cheaper to get the memory up to 1MB on the 500 than on the 1000...