English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 04 January 2014, 21:28   #1
Boom^

Problem with crashing on 16mb SIMM on GVP 1230/40 accelerator

Hi, I have an Amiga 1200 (CBM vers with 3.0 ROMS) with a GVP 1230 accelerator on it. Like the image shown here except mine is a 40mhz 030 on it.

The accelerator card originally came with 2x 1mb simms on it. But I wanted to upgrade to more RAM. So I put in a 16mb GVP 64pin SIMM from a reputable dealer.

I have configured the card jumpers as shown in the above picture. Basically only J5 and CN5 on.

The problem is, when i switch on, the Amiga starts to boot, gets as far as the first flash of the HD light (got a compact flash card) and then the power light starts flashing and it either gets stuck in a reboot loop or freezes altogether.

I've tried alsorts of configurations, RAM in different slot, different jumper settings etc and just cant get it to work. If I remove CN5 then the Amiga boots fine, but only registers 8MB of the 16MB on the card. Now although it seems fine, ie I can fill the ram disk up without crashing. If I run a WHDLoad game that is AGA, WHDLoad will guru meditate. (Before it would say it couldn't allocate enough memory when i only had 2mb fast ram)

So I'm a bit stuck now why its crashing. I cant get to the early boot menu, it seems to crash just before thats due to appear. I've tried removing everything including the IDE flash card, but it still wont get to a bootable stage. It gets damned close tho!

As anyone seen this sort of behaviour from these GVP Accelerators before?
Old 05 January 2014, 14:10   #2
Kin Hell
0ld0r Git

As a bit of a hardware Engineer, I'd be inclined to think the 16Mb GVP SIMM is at fault. The manual does say put the bigger of two SIMM's (when using both slots) in the first slot. - Try reverse Engineering & put one of your 1Mb SIMM's in Slot 1 & the 16Mb one in slot 2. - Do check jumpers too before powering up.

What happens now?

Last edited by Kin Hell; 06 January 2014 at 06:00.
Old 05 January 2014, 17:21   #3
Boom^

Hi,

Thanks for your response. I have double checked jumpers, they are configured as per the picture above.

If i swap them round, ie 1mb simm in slot 1, and 16mb simm in slot 2, it gets a bit further. Ie i can get the early boot menu up. It shows teh expansion board as working and i can see my HD partitions.

However if i boot it up (even with no startup-sequence) it loads for a bit then freezes, and i have to reboot. This is before any amigados screen comes up.
Old 06 January 2014, 06:05   #4
Kin Hell
0ld0r Git

Sounding like a duff SIMM fella. Trying another SIMM is going to be your only other option I guess. Perhaps another Jaws II user might offer to try the SIMM for you.
Old 12 March 2014, 18:22   #5
Boom^

Sorry to bump an old thread. I just wanted to conclude it by saying everyone was correct. The SIMM was duff. I returned it to the reseller and got a full refund on it. My hunt for a working SIMM will go on Thanks all for your suggestions!