English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Demos

Old 07 October 2017, 12:39   #1
honx

alien 2 by scoopex - black

i downloaded alien 2 by scoopex from http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=1344
can't run alien2.bat file which is in archive so i have to run the files directly by doubleclick.
if i run fadeout (first entry in alien2.bat) workbench is black in black, not readable anymore.
have to reboot as i can't click anything else due to not being able to see/read anything.
if i run part1.exe demo starts. hear music playing, but i see nothing. screen stays black.
how to run and watch this demo? what is config needed? already tried running setpatch.
Old 07 October 2017, 12:46   #2
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by honx View Post
can't run alien2.bat file
Why not?
Old 07 October 2017, 12:55   #3
honx

it says "fadeout" file (first one in alien.bat) not found which is in same folder.
Old 07 October 2017, 12:59   #4
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Then simply remove that line from the script. It was just to fade the workbench screen if memory serves me right and is not important.

Edit: just checked, demo runs fine if Alien2.bat is executed. If fadeout is not found something is wrong on your end (run SnoopDOS to see what happens).
Old 07 October 2017, 13:12   #5
honx

removed fadeout, alien2.bat starts demo, but the same problem:
i can hear something but i CAN'T SEE anything. screen is black.
it's the same winuae configuration i used yesterday to run rise.
Old 08 October 2017, 15:21   #6
PopoCop

Do you start demos from Workbench? The best way to start demos is to boot without startup-sequence, execute setpach and then execute demo.
Old 08 October 2017, 15:52   #7
honx

is there a bootable version of this demo available? i could only download this .lha archive.
Old 12 October 2017, 19:10   #8
honx

really tricky doing reaching early startup menu for boot without startup-sequence in winuae!
emulation is so incredibly fast which means you have to reboot and press mouse at the same time!
two hands are not enough... today finally i managed to do so, by using chin additional to hands...
at least, this demo worked without startup-sequence...
Old 12 October 2017, 23:19   #9
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
really tricky doing reaching early startup menu for boot without startup-sequence in winuae!
Well, only tricky if you don't know how to use WinUAE's options properly! Host->Miscellaneous->One second reboot pause and there is nothing tricky anymore when it comes to accessing the early startup menu.
Old 07 December 2017, 22:06   #10
AC/DC HACKER!

Quote:
emulation is so incredibly fast...
Or slow the emulation with Chipset, Cycle-exact (DMA/Memory access). The other Cycle might not be needed. Now you have delayed reboot time as well.

I didn't see this demo back in the day. Now that I've checked it, and it displays well with my Amiga 4000 and WinUAE; the graphics for the day are pretty good. The music, for me, is way too repetitive..I had to mute it. Reminds me of rap today. I was disappointed by the Pagan/Wicca Pentacle being turned into the misinformed Pentagram at the end. Pagans and Wiccans are very loving people...nothing "Evil" about what they do.

But anyway, with sound muted, I laughed a bit. The graphics look like Genetic Species but that game is a bit more polished. I'm using a Picasso 4 and CSPPC. Didn't notice any display problems at all. I have Workbench set to a Picasso 96 screen, and saw the WB between each load. The Picasso 4 screens leave almost all CHIP RAM free when using OS 3.1 to 3.5. With 3.9 and BB4, all is free.

Checking into what you're doing... With a real Amiga is there is less than 1, 739MB CHIP free, then you're going to hear the music but not see the graphics. Stop any background or reduce the colors of the Workbench screen to free CHIP memory. Use, ohh...32 Colors and disable Background image if you're using plain AGA. Reset the machine once saved. The demo likes contiguous RAM. When using WinUAE..change from 2MB to 4 or more. Now you be able to start it from WB and all should be fine. Should be without a blank screen and WB should SHOULD come back fine, unless there is something else happening with your setup, as Stingray commented.

A tip: I used Directory Opus 5 (I love it!!) to make a new Alien2 directory with an Info icon. Moved the files to that directory, and then made the new directory show all files without Icons. Then selected Alien2.bat then using Information I check the "Script" box and saved. Now, Double Click it..and plays fine. However, I commented out the last file...I don't enjoy seeing the Pentacle perverted that way...and it doesn't really ADD anything to the demo. After it's done, WB shows as it should...nothing is corrupt. Using straight AGA or Picasso 4 active.

Hope this is helpful to you or someone else.
Old 07 December 2017, 22:57   #11
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/DC HACKER! View Post
I was disappointed by the Pagan/Wicca Pentacle being turned into the misinformed Pentagram at the end. Pagans and Wiccans are very loving people...nothing "Evil" about what they do.
The pentagram is the SCX sign.

Quote:
I have Workbench set to a Picasso 96 screen, and saw the WB between each load. The Picasso 4 screens leave almost all CHIP RAM free when using OS 3.1 to 3.5. With 3.9 and BB4, all is free.
If the script the demo comes with is executed it fades the screens to black so wb is not visible.

Quote:
However, I commented out the last file...I don't enjoy seeing the Pentacle perverted that way...and it doesn't really ADD anything to the demo.
Check the SCX roots and you'll see why the pentagram is used. There's nothing even remotely "pervert" about it and it does belong to the demo.
Old 08 December 2017, 00:33   #12
AC/DC HACKER!

I understand symbolism very, very well. It is possible that they don't mean it in the same way as most Church people do. If that's the case, then I respect that. But with it being part of the Alien you can understand why that might be seen that way.

As for the script executing the fade, I understand the aim. I was attempt to help Honx understand why. Smiling. He seems to perhaps lack some Amiga understanding beyond some basic. When using a Picasso 4, the Fade In and Out does not really have any effect...other than a slight video "blink". So, after Fadeout, I see the WB again exactly as it should be. The next next part of the demo is loaded, once it's set..the Picasso 4 displays the Native Amiga screen, once that part is done..the Picasso Workbench screen is displayed until the next part of the demo is run...and so on. Not a big deal unless you want to be a purist..and see constant black between the files. Which is why PoppopCop suggested running it without a Startup and running Setpatch first. I understand what you're meaning, Stingray. :-)

I shall (smile), because when it comes to the Pentacle and Pentagram...they're often made (incorrectly) synonymous and they should never be that way.
Old 08 December 2017, 09:31   #13
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
I understand symbolism very, very well. It is possible that they don't mean it in the same way as most Church people do. If that's the case, then I respect that. But with it being part of the Alien you can understand why that might be seen that way.

As for the script executing the fade, I understand the aim. I was attempt to help Honx understand why. Smiling. He seems to perhaps lack some Amiga understanding beyond some basic. When using a Picasso 4, the Fade In and Out does not really have any effect...other than a slight video "blink". So, after Fadeout, I see the WB again exactly as it should be. The next next part of the demo is loaded, once it's set..the Picasso 4 displays the Native Amiga screen, once that part is done..the Picasso Workbench screen is displayed until the next part of the demo is run...and so on. Not a big deal unless you want to be a purist..and see constant black between the files. Which is why PoppopCop suggested running it without a Startup and running Setpatch first. I understand what you're meaning, Stingray. :-)

I shall (smile), because when it comes to the Pentacle and Pentagram...they're often made (incorrectly) synonymous and they should never be that way.
The pentacle has been the Scoopex logo since the start, long before the Alien demo. Go watch Mental Hangover on youtube which dates back to 1989.

Its not meant to represent anything other than Scoopex, and looks pretty great as a vector object.
Old 08 December 2017, 21:21   #14
AC/DC HACKER!

Point aimed Up is a pentacle and the points of the star do not break the circle. When the point in down, then it takes on a different meaning and often that is pentagram. Associated with...misinformation. Or people wanting to scare others or seem -- haha -- badass because of what Hollywood and such have done with it in horror movies.

Some people are unaware of the Pentacle and it's historical significance. Just as the Swastika origins predated Hitler and was associated with Buddha in a very peaceful way; unlike Hitler. This is why I was very curious about what I saw.

Watched Mental Hangover from YouTube, appreciate the share. Looks like they were having more fun with it than anything else. A little "OOoOOoo.." factor, too. Cool. Great graphics for the day! Couldn't read some of the scrolls at the end, but...that's how it goes with some demos.
Old 08 December 2017, 22:09   #15
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Point aimed Up is a pentacle and the points of the star do not break the circle. When the point in down, then it takes on a different meaning and often that is pentagram. Associated with...misinformation. Or people wanting to scare others or seem -- haha -- badass because of what Hollywood and such have done with it in horror movies.

Some people are unaware of the Pentacle and it's historical significance. Just as the Swastika origins predated Hitler and was associated with Buddha in a very peaceful way; unlike Hitler. This is why I was very curious about what I saw.

Watched Mental Hangover from YouTube, appreciate the share. Looks like they were having more fun with it than anything else. A little "OOoOOoo.." factor, too. Cool. Great graphics for the day! Couldn't read some of the scrolls at the end, but...that's how it goes with some demos.

Thats more to do with crappy Youtube encoding. Might be a HD version which would play and display better
Old 09 December 2017, 01:42   #16
AC/DC HACKER!

Nay, that's more to do with the "font/graphic". Some of those sideways scrolls are, for me anyway, very challenging to read. I remember back when that I had to play and replay and really look at them. With YouTube, haaaah hahhh, we're able to stop and resume and go back. But it's not that important.

You and StingRay do a pretty good job with Slaves. I know you know, but still. I appreciate them like I used to the FLT intros. :-)
Old 21 December 2017, 12:11   #17
Nibbler
namm namm AMIGA

@ honx

If you can hear a demo running but the screen stays black,
try utilities like Embedder or RunShit. (Aminet) Something like that.

Its worth a try. Greetings

Last edited by Nibbler; 21 December 2017 at 15:23. Reason: Typo