English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 19 October 2018, 00:05   #1
AC/DC HACKER!

Shogo with WinUAE_debug_4.1.0

Hello Toni,

I figured I would come back to this project with WinUAE in prep for when you get another RTG functional that supports 3D...whenever that might be. With my real A4000 CSPPC/68060 and Picasso 4 this isn't a problem... I'm able to use whatever 16-Bit screen modes and rerun game and it's Front end without problems multiple times. Not with WinUAE..

Currently I use a 1024x768x32 with UAEGfx (since the same won't display correctly with Picasso 4 emulation). Once in a while the GUI will show, but rarely. Almost always a PPC crash. If I switch to 800x600x32, same thing. When I switch to 640x480x32, the GUI front end for the game runs almost every time. If I start the emulated A4000 in 640x640x32, the front end will crash from a PPC crash.

I'm using the current 68040 and 68060 Libs. OS 3.1, and stock Config for A4000 CSPCC to diagnose what's happening. JIT, of course is not in use. MMU=None MMU, MMU EC don't make a difference. Unimplemented CPU options don't seem to matter.

If I select Proximate A500/1200 speed then the emulation becomes very slow, and the Prompt for checking rerenders is there for over 7 minutes and that's as long as I let it sit. If you want that log also, let me know but I didn't see any movement in the Log Window. Any suggestions?
Attached Files
File Type: zip WinUAE_debug_4.1.0.zip (75.0 KB, 124 views)
Old 19 October 2018, 09:05   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Does it work if you configure uaegfx to use exact same color mode as PicassoIV? (RTG panel has options). Not all games support all modes.
Old 19 October 2018, 18:37   #3
AC/DC HACKER!

The Color modes have always been inaccessible for Picasso 4 Zorro 3 (Villiage Tronic). When When UAE Zorro 3 is active, the Color modes have always been changeable. I've also set the Workbench using UAEGfx and Picasso 4 monitors to ScreenxModex8. Since the game uses 640x480x8 and it doesn't matter. Only consistancy I've noticed so far, is UAEGfx at 640x480x32 for some reason.

I understand some games want a mimic of Workbench and some don't don't work well unless Workbench is set to a 256 possible screen, that's not the case with Shogo. With my real A4000...I able to run it and see the front end GUI and then load the game from whatever screen mode Workbench is on. Though I haven't used x8 in a long time...

I know you really don't enjoy videos, even if they're short. So I won't make one. I'm scratching my head as to why, with WinUAE, that it functions Sometimes with a 1024x768x16 screen, or even 800x600x16..but usually WOS crash before GUI.. _Sometimes_ if I Double Click the Icon to get it to load again, even after crash then the GUI will show...and also able to run the game. But that's not often.

Maybe it has something to do with what you pointed at? The Picasso 4 color mode?? Which I'm not able to change...and when it does run under Picasso 4, the screen looks like a bad Ty-Dye. Haha!
Old 19 October 2018, 19:37   #4
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

I meant to change UAEGFX RTG panel options until you have exact same mode descriptions in WB ScreenMode prefs (uaegfx:xxx vs picassoiv:xxx, both have same "xxx"). Nothing to do with resolution but color depth, RGB component size and order.

Only then your comparison is valid.
Old 19 October 2018, 20:33   #5
AC/DC HACKER!

Right. Settings, Hardware, RTG Board, RTG Graphics Card settings. The Color modes are not accessible when Picasso 4 Z3 is selected from the Drop Down menu.. The Color modes become accessible when UAE Zorro III (UAEGfx) is selected.

I'm attempting to be sure we're on the same page (understanding). I gave the examples of Workbench because I thought it would be helpful.

When I first run WinUAE and switch between the 2 RTG boards, these are the defaults I see.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WinUAE RTG 1.png
Views:	168
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	60342   Click image for larger version

Name:	WinUAE RTG 2.png
Views:	159
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	60343  
Old 19 October 2018, 20:36   #6
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Ignore what you see in Picasso IV RTG panel. They don't mean anything when they are disabled.

You really need to check what WB ScreenMode prefs lists and then change UAEGFX modes until they match PicassoIV modes.

(Of course, if you use CGX with PicassoIV, then there is no matching UAEGFX mode. UAEGFX is Picasso96 only. CGX driver development kit is not public.)
Old 19 October 2018, 20:53   #7
AC/DC HACKER!

Oops... I've been using Picasso96 2.0 from Aminet, for many years. Ahhh, man, I didn't consider you were meaning the UAEGFX/Picasso 4 Devs:Monitors.. I don't usually have to do anything with them.

I figured they don't mean anything when disabled, hehe. Which is why I was perplexed about it. (HUh? Toni, what do You Mean??) I'll check the Monitors and ScreenMode Prefs more..
Old 20 October 2018, 01:13   #8
AC/DC HACKER!

Hi Toni,

I renamed/disabled "Devs:Picasso96Settings". I set UAEGfx to:

8-Bit(*)
B5G6R5PC
B8G848
(32bit)

...now all Screen Modes in Screenmode Prefs look like Picasso 4 screen modes. But WOS crashes before the GUI displays still. Doesn't matter which screen mode I set it to (32 doesn't exist in the list now)..

If I change the settings back to:

8-bit (*)
R5G6B5
(24bit)
B8G8R8A8 (*)

and the screenmode, because the Prefs were saved for other Color modes comes up as Amiga native. From there pick a UAE Gfx 32bit screen 640x480x32 or 800x600x32 and Use, not Save, then the game's Front End GUI and game will load every time.

Save the Screen Prefs and it won't for that mode anymore. Unless, upon rebooting or resetarting I pick a different 32bit screen...then it'll work.

If I choose a 16bit screen, either WOS crashes or Amiga has error 8000 0006.

Any other ideas?
Old 20 October 2018, 14:00   #9
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Hmm, so it probably is not color mode related.

Because this is partially PPC related which makes it low priority, I probably only check it if you can create HDF (or lha that can be mounted as directory harddrive) that boots to WB with game pre-installed. Single click or typing command in CLI = game starts. Nothing more allowed
Old 20 October 2018, 22:22   #10
AC/DC HACKER!

Been attempting to do so. Luck doesn't exist so I won't type "no luck" trite statement. From almost completely Fresh installs of 3.1 to 3.9 (meaning I had to add Warp3D and WOS...as well as Picasso96 2.0, etc...), the Install of the game crashes after the first big install part 1 of 3. Hmm!! Most likely PPC Emu..

I went back to my OS 4.1.1 and attempted to load the game there, I get the Front-end GUI and then lock. I had to do some stuff to get it function with my real A4000 and OS 4.1(.1) some time ago. I will check into that with WinUAE some more. Meanwhile I'm thinking it's bust for now. The game isn't so important, it's the Why that I'm so curious about.

Appreciate your help, Toni.
Old 21 October 2018, 04:07   #11
AC/DC HACKER!

Playing on a thought... Start WinUAE and make CSPPC RAM 0. Then change Z3 RAM to 128 oe 256, doesn't matter... WOS crash after Workbench and WBPattern image loads.

Back to Menu (ESC), check CSPPC RAM and it's set at 8. Is this a possible bug that's causing the above?

This config is from my used config..not any Testing I was doing before.
Attached Files
File Type: zip winuae_debug_4.1.0 From 0 CSPPC RAM to 8.zip (27.1 KB, 118 views)
Old 05 November 2018, 17:48   #12
White

Hi AC/DC HACKER!,
I tried Shogo on 3.9 + PPC
it seems to work even if it is very slow.
If I can help you in some way, I leave my configuration
I took inspiration from yours to try the game.
In some ways it seems to work in most cases, if you encounter problems, use 32eBit winuae in the window not with the full screen even though it should work the same.

I have never used warp and even graphic cards like the picasso when I had amiga, so I have difficulty understanding its mechanisms.
I would also like to understand what are the best choices to make with the Shogo emulation.
I will also try Shogo on the 4.1 final edition
I have a pc copy of shogo, I'll try with that but I do not know if it works like with quake etc.
Here some screenshots
Hello, good day

Last edited by White; 18 December 2019 at 14:18.
Old 07 November 2018, 03:22   #13
AC/DC HACKER!

White,

I always used 640x480. I didn't give a lot of focus to 3.9, but I'll check that more soon. I'll check your config.

Be sure the game runs every time you do a reset, And...does the Front End show every time, then the game runs?

Why do you have CSPPC set at 8MB and Z3 Slot 4 as 256MB? I've noticed a bug with Z3 RAM when CSPPC is used, and when you go higher than 32MB WinUAE runs slower. But I haven't complied the information enough yet. So, does it function well without the Z3 RAM?

Last edited by AC/DC HACKER!; 07 November 2018 at 04:23.
Old 07 November 2018, 23:21   #14
White

@ AC/DC HACKER!,
Here you find a small video is boring to watch, skip the points you do not need.
I leave you another configuration file, the old one was an example to solve the problems related to the crash and to better understand the operation.
Winuae is used in the window because the system crashes with the Shogo game when used in full screen.
Ultimately this is a Workbench I'm building from scratch
It was a long time since I had used a Workbench + PPC for me it did not make sense anymore since winuae is not written to be used for that at the moment.
So there's probably some mistake I'd like to solve,
WhichAmiga does not report in the info my use of PPC is this seems strange.
Over a year ago 'I used the PPC with the 3.9 then I stopped and remember that the information was also present in the PPC, but I do not remember what I used.
Maybe I'm missing some steps, if someone wants to help me understand the steps to do in order to get support for the PPC, thanks for the help!
At the moment I simply added support for PowerPC and Warp via the AmigaOS 3.9 installation CD
For the rest this is the Workbench I'm building with patience based on 3.9 with boing 1 & 2 without adding 3 & 4 etc.

About the Shogo also works with the 4.1 final edition with a different configuration but does not give me the option of the Shogo launcher the possibility to choose the video format so I can not use it yet, I have to see if this is possible

Sorry for the long answer.
here's the video and the configuration file maybe it can help.
[ Show youtube player ]

Old 08 November 2018, 00:42   #15
AMIGASYSTEM

Hi Paolo, did you install Shogo from CD? to me the installation stops because "hUnpack" crashes at 2/3 from the installation.

Can you try running "hUnpack" from a Shell? you have to do it twice, because the crash happens when it is executed a second time.

"hUnpack" can be found on the Shogo CD in the C directory, thanks

--- Italiano ----

Ciao Paolo, tu hai installato Shogo da CD? a me l'installazione si ferma perchè "hUnpack" va in crash a 2/3 dall'installazione.

Puoi provare ad eseguire "hUnpack" da una Shell? devi farlo due volte, perchè il crash avviene quando viene eseguito una seconda volta.

"hUnpack" lo trovi nel CD di Shogo nellla directory C, grazie
Old 08 November 2018, 00:48   #16
AC/DC HACKER!

I don't really consider YouTube videos to be boring, as that's a state of a persons mind. Videos can be very helpful. But there wasn't anything in the video that was helpful other than informing that you haven't made any changes in Prefs.

The other illumination is that you're using a Demo version. I'm not. I'll check that soon, to see what differences there might be.

As for "WhichAmiga", this will help: http://aminet.net/package/util/libs/BoardsLib

"Ultimately" is another word for final. But it doesn't look like your Workbench is "finalized" there. haha.

As for Shogo there's a ToolType to modify, POPUP. Enable it to allow access to the GUI. I can get Shogo to Play 1 time if the GUI isn't used "(POPUP)"..but after that Amiga within WinUAE will crash. I'll have a look for the Demo version and see if there's a difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by White View Post
@ AC/DC HACKER!,
Here you find a small video is boring to watch, skip the points you do not need.
I leave you another configuration file, the old one was an example to solve the problems related to the crash and to better understand the operation.
Winuae is used in the window because the system crashes with the Shogo game when used in full screen.
Ultimately this is a Workbench I'm building from scratch
It was a long time since I had used a Workbench + PPC for me it did not make sense anymore since winuae is not written to be used for that at the moment.
So there's probably some mistake I'd like to solve,
WhichAmiga does not report in the info my use of PPC is this seems strange.
Over a year ago 'I used the PPC with the 3.9 then I stopped and remember that the information was also present in the PPC, but I do not remember what I used.
Maybe I'm missing some steps, if someone wants to help me understand the steps to do in order to get support for the PPC, thanks for the help!
At the moment I simply added support for PowerPC and Warp via the AmigaOS 3.9 installation CD
For the rest this is the Workbench I'm building with patience based on 3.9 with boing 1 & 2 without adding 3 & 4 etc.

About the Shogo also works with the 4.1 final edition with a different configuration but does not give me the option of the Shogo launcher the possibility to choose the video format so I can not use it yet, I have to see if this is possible

Sorry for the long answer.
here's the video and the configuration file maybe it can help.
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 08 November 2018, 00:50   #17
AC/DC HACKER!

Copy the Unpacker to your C: directory. But it always bails or causes a PowerPC crash at 2nd or 3rd archive. (2/3) or (3/3).

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
Hi Paolo, did you install Shogo from CD? to me the installation stops because "hUnpack" crashes at 2/3 from the installation.

Can you try running "hUnpack" from a Shell? you have to do it twice, because the crash happens when it is executed a second time.

"hUnpack" can be found on the Shogo CD in the C directory, thanks

--- Italiano ----

Ciao Paolo, tu hai installato Shogo da CD? a me l'installazione si ferma perchè "hUnpack" va in crash a 2/3 dall'installazione.

Puoi provare ad eseguire "hUnpack" da una Shell? devi farlo due volte, perchè il crash avviene quando viene eseguito una seconda volta.

"hUnpack" lo trovi nel CD di Shogo nellla directory C, grazie
Old 08 November 2018, 01:01   #18
AMIGASYSTEM

A (2/3) when "hUnpack" is run for the second time by the installer, I have reported the problem to a Toni here ("hUnpack" it's a native PPC command).

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=75062&page=25
Old 08 November 2018, 01:10   #19
AC/DC HACKER!

I know it's a WarpOS program. I also saw your previous post; reference to (2/3).

@ White

The Demo version will load at fast speeds, just as CD version does. Also, for me, once in a while the GUI sill show pre-game when POPUP is enabled. Once in a while means Not all the time.
Old 08 November 2018, 13:59   #20
White

@AMIGASYSTEM
I can not try Shogo with the installation I do not have the cd for amigaos, I only have the PC version, I'm sorry, at the moment I use the demo version on aminet.
@AC/DC HACKER!
thanks for the tips below the screen is the information of the test amigaos3.9 + PPC, probably not everything is configured well, I have to continue to understand the right configuration, maybe I'm missing something in the expansion section to select I'm not sure about this.