English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 14 May 2015, 09:40   #81
britelite

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody View Post
So there you are, if it is so easy then start program a game, do the graphics and sound too and when you finish teach the rest of the whining guys to do this easy task.
Been there, done that. That's exactly what I did when I started out in the demoscene, I made everything myself.

But I hear you, it's truly better to just complain about how hard it's to produce something and never even try to do something yourself.
Old 14 May 2015, 09:50   #82
nobody

Quote:
Originally Posted by britelite View Post
Been there, done that. That's exactly what I did when I started out in the demoscene, I made everything myself.

But I hear you, it's truly better to just complain about how hard it's to produce something and never even try to do something yourself.
Maybe it would be better to be more humble and respect other members, possibly they have something to offer, sound or graphics, not all are programmers here or have the talent for it for not to be "whining consumers".
Old 14 May 2015, 10:03   #83
britelite

Quote:
Maybe it would be better to be more humble and respect other members, possibly they have something to offer, sound or graphics, not all are programmers here or have the talent for it for not to be "whining consumers".
Ok, that's not what I meant, people doing music or graphics are also as much producers as programmers are. I mean, the Rygar thread here at EAB is a good example on how creativity feeds creativity and how things work out when people actually do something.

But the thing is that I see way more posts on amiga forums like "could someone please do a game like X or Y" instead of something like "hey, I made some graphics/music for a game, could someone please help me make it happen"
Old 14 May 2015, 10:53   #84
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

What disappoints me is when people say "I'd like to help but I can't code, create graphics or make music". That's such a cop out.

If the Rygar project goes ahead, there are about 30 odd levels that will need creating. If someone really wanted to help, they could piece together screenshots from the level in a paint program. The background layer graphics could be extracted. The sprites can be re-arranged into their larger blocks. Make a list of the baddies on each level and when they appear. None of this takes any real talent, just time. And that time frees up the people trying to make the game.
Old 14 May 2015, 11:19   #85
invent
pixels

Hi Britelite,

In my defense, I am actually working on a 68k/AmigaOS game at the moment and working on some HAM cut scenes, a sneak preview here, its not public information as yet but game completed in the next few months

I am serious about contributing in some way to the Amiga Scene and have split focus on Classic and NG Amigas . Generally I do enjoy the retro scene (ZX Spectrum, C64, Amstrad, Amiga etc) and on my blog shows that.

Codetapper makes some great points, there is always some way to contribute.
Old 14 May 2015, 11:22   #86
britelite

Quote:
Originally Posted by invent View Post
In my defense, I am actually working on a 68k/AmigaOS game at the moment and working on some HAM cut scenes, a sneak preview here, its not public information as yet but game completed in the next few months
Nice, looking forward to seeing the finished game

Quote:
Codetapper makes some great points, there is always some way to contribute.
Exactly.
Old 14 May 2015, 12:07   #87
spud

Quote:
Originally Posted by invent View Post
Hi Britelite,

Come on, more info needed
Old 14 May 2015, 12:12   #88
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
So there you are, if it is so easy then start program a game
It's not necessarily hard. A platform game isn't rocket science. The difficulty doesn't come from programming the engine, but rather from seeing it through to the end. You have to be willing and able to invest quite a bit of time into a project if you want something that's at the very least reasonably good. The programming is often not the problem.
Old 14 May 2015, 12:22   #89
invent
pixels

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud View Post
Come on, more info needed
Hi Spud, I promise to post more once done.
Old 14 May 2015, 14:01   #90
Nosferax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
No need to get all aggressive, because I wasn't being aggressive at all.
1st lesson on the internet; Emotions doesn't translate to text...
Old 14 May 2015, 14:09   #91
invent
pixels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorham View Post
It's not necessarily hard. A platform game isn't rocket science. The difficulty doesn't come from programming the engine, but rather from seeing it through to the end. You have to be willing and able to invest quite a bit of time into a project if you want something that's at the very least reasonably good. The programming is often not the problem.

Time is probably the major factor these days, sadly (family, full time work, etc). From the mid 80's when I owned an A500, A1200 and later an A4000 I had tried to work with various people on completing Amiga games but for various reasons, projects never got completed. For some years, while I didn't give up, it was frustrating, and I focused on other things.

Recently, completed Dots Adventures (Amiga PD Platman remake) for non Amiga platforms. Simon and Edgar who are both amazing team members to work with. Completed a ZX Spectrum remake Lunar Jetman (PC) with James who is a great guy to work with. Warblade MKII and Deluxe Galaga was in the works until our dear friend past away (Edgar). Personally I would still like to finish Warblade MKII in Ed's name.
Old 14 May 2015, 14:12   #92
john1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferax View Post
1st lesson on the internet; Emotions doesn't translate to text...
Quote:
I bloody well know what unity is.
Or maybe you just have no idea how you come across to others?

The main problem for most of us is not platform, but time. I've always wanted to start coding a game on the 64 but life gets in the way. I could probably throw a couple of hours a week in at most around work and family etc. Just not worth it.
Old 14 May 2015, 15:48   #93
JudasEZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
I think in reality, it is easier (and more fun?) to be creative the more limitations you have. Of course, if there are too many limitations it also kills the creativity since you can't do anything.
I'm very influenced by that kind of thinking.

I dont know about professional coders, because I'm mainly graphician, and just a casual programmer.
But starting small games is good. You learn a lot, and helps you to do not make castles in the sand. ( or castles in the air, as we say in spanish ).
Old 14 May 2015, 19:23   #94
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

@JudasEZT

I feel you there: have a background as graphic artist and musician, plus in the eighties liked to build games (not playable ones,ok) on BASIC in my Spectrum, so am trying to get back the vibe, just that need to go back on the app-thinking programming rather than the script-thinking programming like used to do for a living (php/javascript dev); started lot of contributions but with life goingin the mddle is hard to keep track of things so some are left halfway (need to go back in HOMM2 music and to do the music for Maxwell too - memo to self) and is tough to reboot fast from the same place i left...
Old 15 May 2015, 11:06   #95
JudasEZT

@saimon69

Yeah, very similar to my own history.
Just, what I learnt of Amos when kid, helped me out with Flash ActionScript.. and now, with what I had learnt with PHP, MySQL and ActionScript.. makes me fly with Amos now that I returned to !
Old 19 May 2015, 22:15   #96
Lazycow

What about organizing a game creation competition to push the Amiga homebrew scene? www.RGCD.co.uk made some compos for the c64, and some really great games have been made in the previous years...

Any volunteers?
Old 19 May 2015, 22:58   #97
gazj82

I haven't ever contributed much to Amiga unfortunately. not because I don't want to, I really would.

Even tho I am very good at getting the most out of C64 basic (that's what I grew up with), and not too bad with the Spectrum Arcade Game Designer, I have never been able to progress to any language beyond basic even on the 8 bits so I pretty much give up before I try on the 16 bit machines.

I can knock up something reasonable in AGD in a few days for the spectrum, but even then I stick to more Atari 2600 type graphics and keep things simple. I am guessing even getting to grips with the bare basics of AMOS or Blitz is going to take longer than one of these games takes me complete. Unfortunately with work and family commitments I don't think I would really ever get anywhere near releasing even something simple.

I wouldn't even know which one I ought to start investing my time in, Blitz or AMOS?
Old 19 May 2015, 23:42   #98
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
Amiga releases take longer because people expect so much of the machine, and expect much of the people still using the machine.
I expect too much of myself.

I should have tried to make a game half the size.
Old 20 May 2015, 00:02   #99
Raislin77it
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazycow View Post
What about organizing a game creation competition to push the Amiga homebrew scene? www.RGCD.co.uk made some compos for the c64, and some really great games have been made in the previous years...

Any volunteers?
if i remeber well Cammy did a homebrew competition for christmas for 3 times years ago, but the results are poor (not the games, but the numbers of partecipants)
Old 20 May 2015, 00:47   #100
zerohour1974

The thing with competitions is... normally many entries get started but very few get finished due to time restraint.