Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 07 November 2002, 11:01   #1
Pyromania

Amiga One gets the /.

http://www.slashdot.org/

http://slashdot.org/articles/02/11/0....shtml?tid=138

Old 07 November 2002, 16:29   #2
jmmijo

Interesting update, thanks Pyro. I'll look around and see if there are any stateside dealers that will be selling this as well
Old 07 November 2002, 17:19   #3
Guede

Had a look and this is the thread that caught my eye -

Quote:
The only possible purpose of bringing the Amiga back from the dead is NOSTALGIA.

The Amiga simply has no other practical uses -- not for games, not for desktop accessories: nada, nil, nothing. At the best, some rich geeks are going to purchase one as a novelty item, run some old demos or ancient games on it, and then let it collect dust in their closet.

Amiga emulators do the job far better than an actual machine would, with the bonus of being absolutely free.

Amiga died long ago, and it will never make a comeback. You would have to be a diehard idiot to purchase one of these.
- Well fuck me royally, I would be glad to be one of these 'idiots'. The Amiga will never die. Its like a good brew, it tastes better as it ages.
Old 07 November 2002, 17:26   #4
Amiga1992

I think you need to read a bit more about the AmigaOne. You got the concept all wrong.

It's not about nostalgia, heck, its not even compatible with legacy hardware. This is a new thing.
Old 07 November 2002, 17:32   #5
Drake1009

I like the way he shows his obliviousness in the way that he says that emulator works better than the real thing and that it's free to boot.

Ok it's a bit easier to warez a kick.rom than warezing a real Amiga, maybe because someone'd really miss the Amiga.

But working better than the real thing? *Nods and smiles* Of course people striving to make something like something else are already at a point where they've made it completely different than the thing they strive to make it like.
Old 07 November 2002, 18:00   #6
Guede

Akira, I think you need to read my post again. Those arent my words, they are a quote from the story that just made me laugh.

To me the Amiga is (not 'was') the best machine that was ever produced. I used computers alot in my younger days and I am still to find a system that gives me the satisfaction that my old Amiga did. I only recently got back into computing. I gave up in about 91 because I got a cattle mustering job and was more interested in making some dollars. About a year ago I had a car accident while at work and since bought a new fandangeled PC and I spend more time running old retro shit on it.

My mate tries to tell me its only 'nostalgia' but to tell the truth I wish that I had my old Amiga on my desk instead of these two 1.3ghz Athlons. I run Win98se and 2K as well as Linux for web development, but none of them excite me (if thats the right expression) in the same way as the Amiga did.

All I was trying to put across is that no matter how big and powerfull Micro$ux and co gets, the Amiga has sown its oats and its roots are firmly planted. As long as there are people like me, your good self and the others of this board, the Amiga will live on. Whether it be classic, AmigaOne, or whatever the fuck else, its not nostalgia, its simply the (somewhat sad) progresion of what should have been IMHO the biggest thing in the industry.(enough said about the causes) And I only hope that the modern Amiga can compete in this screwed up situation we now find thrust upon ourselves.

/edit
I may not be 'therealthing' like your illustrious self , but in my little neck of the woods we take what we can get.

Work well friend

Last edited by Guede; 07 November 2002 at 18:20.
Old 07 November 2002, 18:28   #7
oldpx

Quote:
Akira, I think you need to read my post again. Those arent my words, they are a quote from the story that just made me laugh.
If you place your quotation in the [QUOTE] tag, then you will be able to express yourself better. I have misunderstood your message as well.

Old 07 November 2002, 18:33   #8
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Me too! I've put quotes into your thread for you, Guede.
Old 07 November 2002, 18:38   #9
Pyromania

Quote:
Originally posted by Guede

To me the Amiga is (not 'was') the best machine that was ever produced. I used computers alot in my younger days and I am still to find a system that gives me the satisfaction that my old Amiga did. I only recently got back into computing. I gave up in about 91 because I got a cattle mustering job and was more interested in making some dollars. About a year ago I had a car accident while at work and since bought a new fandangeled PC and I spend more time running old retro shit on it.

My mate tries to tell me its only 'nostalgia' but to tell the truth I wish that I had my old Amiga on my desk instead of these two 1.3ghz Athlons. I run Win98se and 2K as well as Linux for web development, but none of them excite me (if thats the right expression) in the same way as the Amiga did.

All I was trying to put across is that no matter how big and powerfull Micro$ux and co gets, the Amiga has sown its oats and its roots are firmly planted. As long as there are people like me, your good self and the others of this board, the Amiga will live on. Whether it be classic, AmigaOne, or whatever the fuck else, its not nostalgia, its simply the (somewhat sad) progresion of what should have been IMHO the biggest thing in the industry.(enough said about the causes) And I only hope that the modern Amiga can compete in this screwed up situation we now find thrust upon ourselves.

/edit
I may not be 'therealthing' like your illustrious self , but in my little neck of the woods we take what we can get.

Work well friend

Well said Guede!
Old 08 November 2002, 05:08   #10
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally posted by Guede
Oi! you didn't quote first so I thought it was you saying that! I didnt even CARE to read that shit because I hate slashdot and nothing those geeks say in there interests me one bit. And I'm a techno freak/geek

Sorry about the confusion

Anyway, slashdot sucks. How can you guys read all that load of blabber? If the AmigaOne would come loaded with some flavour of linux (vanilLinux, chocoLinux, why the fuck did I use that 'flavour' term? ), I bet they would be drooling all over it. I remember they did drool when they said QNX or Linux was getting into the new Amigas by Gateway! (tee-hee)
Old 08 November 2002, 11:51   #11
Guede

Akira, sorry about the confusion I caused.

CodyJarret and Burseg pointed out my error and fixed it for me. I was well and truly pissed after a long day drinking down the beach when I made the post. Now that I am sober enough to see straight I reread it and can see how it caused confusion. In future I will take my time so as to avoid this sort of situation. And I must say that I fully agree with your comments about slahdot.

@CodyJarret - Thanks for correcting the quote for me.