English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 28 March 2014, 01:28   #321
Amicol

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaCoder View Post
No it won't work, none of my ScummVM ports support the MT32.

I am interesting in buying one though, is this what I need to get?

MT-32

What about the Amiga to MT32 MIDI cable, where can you buy them from?

It would be pretty cool if I could get ScummVM to support both the Prisma and external MIDI for music playback
Yep, that's the one. You can also get the MT-100, it's a MT-32 (mk2) together with a sequencer. Sometimes a bit cheaper, and they don't have the 'buffer overflow' problem
Old 28 March 2014, 02:34   #322
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

I haven't heard of any game with buffer overflow (and less one that could be played on a miggy).

That MT32 has a good price, they are more expensive everytime. You will find some more for 100€ or more, so you won't have any problem if you need to resell it after a time, you would sell it better.

Nova you will also need a midi interface like this http://z-amigastore.com/index.php?op...ng=en&vmcchk=1 that is the same that I've got, the midi cable http://www.ebay.es/itm/5-Pin-Din-Mid...e317219&_uhb=1 and the thick audio cables that I think are these http://www.ebay.es/itm/1-5m-PULSE-2-...a4ce444&_uhb=1

please somebody tell me if I am wrong.

Edit: These are the audio selectors I use to buy if you -surely- need them (well, this is cheaper than mines): http://www.ebay.es/itm/AV-RCA-Select...f2d75c3&_uhb=1

Edit: Offtopic I've seen what do I need to connect it to a Pc [ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by Retrofan; 28 March 2014 at 03:41.
Old 28 March 2014, 04:01   #323
DonutKing

This could be the go, as long as shipping from NZ isn't too bad.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Roland-MT32-...-/261435568756
Old 28 March 2014, 04:42   #324
NovaCoder

Thanks guys, will have to try and bag myself one
Old 28 March 2014, 10:16   #325
Amicol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofan View Post
I haven't heard of any game with buffer overflow (and less one that could be played on a miggy)
Buffer Overflow is a well known bug in the mk1 MT-32. Problem is more prominent while using with PC. Should be fine on Amiga, although I have never used mine with it.

Was corrected in mk2 MT-32, although some games made for mk1 MT-32 can sound different. Mk2 (the one with headphone jack at the back, everything else looks the same) are very rare and expensive. MT-100 is a cheaper way of getting hold of one. Just giving information.....
Old 28 March 2014, 10:23   #326
AMike

Quote:
No it won't work, none of my ScummVM ports support the MT32.

I am interesting in buying one though, is this what I need to get?

MT-32

What about the Amiga to MT32 MIDI cable, where can you buy them from?

It would be pretty cool if I could get ScummVM to support both the Prisma and external MIDI for music playback
I wanna say thank for your hard work in the past - do you have an paypal account?
Old 13 June 2014, 01:04   #327
Overmann

Hello,

The program seems to be working for me but i have a couple of questions that i really hope someone can help me with.

I've seen someone on youtube get quite good performance on DOTT on an 030, but for me even MI1 crawls horribly. And I only manage to get PCspeaker sound. Are there some performance enhancements that has come to light that I might not have read about?

I don't get any sound or video-requester on startup (even though i have AUTO_SELECT_AUDIO_DEVICE=FALSE etc.) Are there circumstances where I would not get a requester?

I would be very grateful if someone could give me some tips as to how to configure for my system:
A1200 3.1 (BetterWB)
ACA1232 /ec40mhz
ACATune -maprom **
Idefix
AHI 4.18 (fast paula stereo++)

SCUMMVM AGA 030 (Stack 20400) set to:
AUDIO_THREAD_PRIORITY=1
MONITOR_TYPE=PAL
AUTO_SELECT_AUDIO_DEVICE=FALSE
AUTO_SELECT_VIDEO_DEVICE=FALSE

Any helpful tips to get me running?
(Btw, I have read through this thread)
Old 13 June 2014, 02:53   #328
NovaCoder

Hiya,

It sounds like there is something very wrong with your set up

I can't think of any reason that the requesters wouldn't come up, I'm actually surprised it runs at all?

I don't think you're running the latest release (which doesn't look like it supports requesters), you should be using -> 1.3.1.031

Are you sure your AHI is installed properly? Do you get any error messages when you open the AHI Prefs?

If installing the latest version and checking your AHI install doesn't help, the only other thing I can suggest is to use WinUAE and try and identify what part of your WB set up is causing the issue on your real hardware.

Performance with an ACA @ 40Mhz should be fine for Monkley Island 1/2 and DOTT as long as you don't enable MIDI music emulation (fast 040 required for MIDI emulation!). You shouldn't be using the PC speaker, just go with the defaults from the install which are set to the lowest possible (best performance).

PHP Code:
Performance Considerations:

1You should always patch exec.library's CopyMem() and CopyMemQuick() routines
for faster processor specific versions.
 2) Try reducing the audio playback frequency down to 8k if you'
re still having
performance issues

3) If you are using Paulastick with the 'FAST' 8 bit modes for AHI (prefs) -
a real 16 bit card will be faster with a 16 bit mode.

4This interpreter hits the hard drive so you'll need a fast transfer rate for
the newer games.
 5) Loading your ROM into FASTRAM is a great idea ;)
 6) Use v4.18 of AHI as the later versions are too slow! 
[ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by NovaCoder; 13 June 2014 at 02:59.
Old 13 June 2014, 08:41   #329
Overmann

Quote:
Hiya,

It sounds like there is something very wrong with your set up

I can't think of any reason that the requesters wouldn't come up, I'm actually surprised it runs at all?

I don't think you're running the latest release (which doesn't look like it supports requesters), you should be using -> 1.3.1.031

Are you sure your AHI is installed properly? Do you get any error messages when you open the AHI Prefs?

If installing the latest version and checking your AHI install doesn't help, the only other thing I can suggest is to use WinUAE and try and identify what part of your WB set up is causing the issue on your real hardware.

Performance with an ACA @ 40Mhz should be fine for Monkley Island 1/2 and DOTT as long as you don't enable MIDI music emulation (fast 040 required for MIDI emulation!). You shouldn't be using the PC speaker, just go with the defaults from the install which are set to the lowest possible (best performance).

PHP Code:
Performance Considerations:

1You should always patch exec.library's CopyMem() and CopyMemQuick() routines
for faster processor specific versions.
 2) Try reducing the audio playback frequency down to 8k if you'
re still having
performance issues

3) If you are using Paulastick with the 'FAST' 8 bit modes for AHI (prefs) -
a real 16 bit card will be faster with a 16 bit mode.

4This interpreter hits the hard drive so you'll need a fast transfer rate for
the newer games.
 5) Loading your ROM into FASTRAM is a great idea ;)
 6) Use v4.18 of AHI as the later versions are too slow! 
[ Show youtube player ]
Hi Novacoder,

Thank you for your reply, and for the ScummVM-port!
I am using 1.3.1.031. I might be wrong, but I only seem to get PC-speaker sound. I would love to play MI1&2 with all the wonderful music on my Amiga (which, strangely, is how i remember it..), but I only get the occasional blips and blops, and not the constant soundtrack that I get on scummvm on PC.

I have now deleted all the AHI-files and reinstalled it, but nothing has changed (4.18). I get no error-messages when starting AHIprefs, and everything behaves the same now that I have my HDD hooked up to winUAE.

DOTT, MI2, Atlantis and MI1 are all running quite smoothly with no sound, but with sound enabled they behave differently.

DOTT - Still no sound
MI1 - PC-Speaker blippetiblop
MI2 - Black screen, nothing happends
Atlantis - Black screen, nothing happends

I have followed your performance guide. The only thing I haven't been able to do much about is my HDD transfer speed. Which is stuck at around 2mb. Internal IDE. I don't know of a way to increase this speed. I am using pfs3.

Thank you again for your reply!

EDIT:
And if i want to "add a game" from another partition then the one I installed ScummVM to the program freezes. When attempting to "go back" beyond DH1: . When using ScummVM ECS i am able to copy games to fastram and play them much faster. It does not crash when going beyond DH1: .

Last edited by Overmann; 13 June 2014 at 08:57.
Old 13 June 2014, 11:14   #330
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
i have more or less the same problem
Old 13 June 2014, 20:48   #331
Nobby_UK

Tried Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders last night :
(A1200 + Apollo 040/25 + 32 Meg)
Looks Lovely, Speed is Fine
But I miss the music

Need to fiddle with the settings methinks.
Old 13 June 2014, 21:09   #332
Amicol

@Overmann
My system only had 2mb transfer speed with PFS3 and ScummVM works fine. So I don't think that is your problem. Maybe when the new sound card is released by Amigakit, NovaCoder will provide support for it. That should solve the problem for slower setups
Even better, support for MT32
Old 13 June 2014, 22:29   #333
ancalimon
Supernormal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amicol View Post
@Overmann
My system only had 2mb transfer speed with PFS3 and ScummVM works fine. So I don't think that is your problem. Maybe when the new sound card is released by Amigakit, NovaCoder will provide support for it. That should solve the problem for slower setups
Even better, support for MT32
I suggest getting some faster hdd interface. It makes a huge difference; especially FastATA MK4. But you need some kind of riser to use it with Indivision MK2.
Old 17 June 2014, 09:32   #334
Overmann

I did a sysspeed and sysinfo check and found that my HDD get almost 3mb on both read and write. It's not as bad as i thought, but it would be nice with something faster.

Does anyone else experience crashes when attemting to add a game from a different partition/device then the one that ScummVM is running from?

Also, does anyone manage to get full sound/music? I get a lot more sound and music when running games in ScummVM on my PC. ALso the sound and music is much higher quality, but that I understand.
Old 17 June 2014, 10:13   #335
NovaCoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overmann View Post
I did a sysspeed and sysinfo check and found that my HDD get almost 3mb on both read and write. It's not as bad as i thought, but it would be nice with something faster.

Does anyone else experience crashes when attemting to add a game from a different partition/device then the one that ScummVM is running from?

Also, does anyone manage to get full sound/music? I get a lot more sound and music when running games in ScummVM on my PC. ALso the sound and music is much higher quality, but that I understand.
Are you using SFS/PFS3? FFS is really slow.

I think that bug when access different directories is something I've seen before, not sure why it happens. I normally just have all my games on the same partition so it's not an issue for me.

Do you mean MIDI emulated music? My 060 does a good job with emulated MIDI now days, I did a video but unfortunately the sound quality is very bad (using a mobile phone). Sounds much better in the flesh.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 17 June 2014, 10:49   #336
Overmann

I am using PFS3.

Is the music that I am hearing during MI 1 titles and the "Part 1" screen not MIDI? If it's not and the rest of the music is MIDI, and somehow deactivated, then I guess I partly understand.

I remember that my old 060, ConciertoIV-setup did a great job with scommVM. I am not really surprised that mu 1232 is struggling a bit.
Old 17 June 2014, 11:42   #337
NovaCoder

Sorry but an 030 is too weak to emulate MIDI in ScummVM, you need either a fast 040 or an 060.

With an 030 it's best to just disable the music completely in most games.
Old 17 June 2014, 11:56   #338
Overmann

I see. Just out of curiosity: The music that I am hearing isn't MIDI? It plays perfectly smooth and works great, it's just very scarce. I didn't know that there was non-MIDI music in those games.

EDIT: Also, NovaCoder, I see you've been commenting regarding A-EONs new soundcard. Is this a device that would enable music to play on my setup if you were to implement it as part of your 030 build of ScummVM? Again, you're doing a great job!
Old 17 June 2014, 12:54   #339
NovaCoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overmann View Post
EDIT: Also, NovaCoder, I see you've been commenting regarding A-EONs new soundcard. Is this a device that would enable music to play on my setup if you were to implement it as part of your 030 build of ScummVM? Again, you're doing a great job!
It would only support compressed music playback in certain games (non-MIDI), for example Full Throttle. MIDI music in ScummVM is dynamically generated so you cannot simply record it and turn it into a compressed music file.
Old 17 June 2014, 13:02   #340
Amicol

Quote:
I think that bug when access different directories is something I've seen before, not sure why it happens. I normally just have all my games on the same partition so it's not an issue for me.
I have always used another partition for storing the games, with no problems at all. I am using PFS3. I think real midi support may be the only answer after reading your last post NovaCoder. Will this be possible to implement?