English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 30 September 2015, 12:02   #1
allanmb

Minimum Utilities to get up and running

I have ordered a new hard drive for my Amiga as I wanted a little more space so I will be installing everything from scratch and hopefully doing it all properly! I have an A1200 with CDROM and the HD plus a 4MB/68881 expansion card. I am going to prepare a CD with all of the minimum utilities I will need to get up and running with the main aim to run games from adf files.

I have idefix97 on a floppy and original WB3.0 disks to get WB on the hard drive and the cdrom readable.

Can anyone recommend anything that I might need to make things easier. Or have I missed something that is vital to get up and running.

This is my list so far:
SFS.lha v1.277
Installer.lha v43.3
Dopus5_91_os.lha v5.91
xpk_User.ha v5.2a
IDEfix97.lha v3.5
xfdmaster.lha v.138
noclick20_usr.lha v2.0
skick346.lha v3.46

Also, this will be my first time using SFS and a disk bigger than 4GB (It is a 40GB drive). Would I be correct in thinking that as long as I make my first partition under 4GB and at the start of the drive, the rest can be anything I like? And, can I convert my WB drive to SFS once WB is installed?

Old 30 September 2015, 12:26   #2
daxb

I would replace old installer with installer 44.10. XADmaster is nice to have. SnoopDOS and many others.

You cannot switch between filesystems (sfs, pfs, ffs) on the fly. They need a reformat. But you can copy to another partition, format and copy back.
Old 30 September 2015, 12:30   #3
allanmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxb View Post
I would replace old installer with installer 44.10. XADmaster is nice to have. SnoopDOS and many others.

You cannot switch between filesystems (sfs, pfs, ffs) on the fly. They need a reformat. But you can copy to another partition, format and copy back.
Thanks for the info regarding switching the FS What does Installer 44.1 add? And is it backwards compatible?

Old 30 September 2015, 16:08   #4
daxb

Some stuff was added. See for example: NDK3.9.lha/NDK_3.9/Documentation/Releasenotes/Installer_relnotes
I don`t know of any backwards incompatibility. Maybe others? If you want to be safe then hold both versions for the case the newest version fails for some reason.

About your 40GB drive. You need a proper scsi.device and filesystem to handle large drives. SFS or PFS3 are ok (for details check out the maunals). Thomas has a chart on his site about the limits. It is worth a look. IDEFix patches the scsi.device and it should support also large dirves but I`m not sure. You can use Thomas Check4GB tool to check if your HD setup is 4GB-ready.