English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 27 July 2014, 12:11   #1
Lobotomika

Question Tweaking Auto Integer Scaling Further

I just returned to using WinUAE after a long break so I missed a few releases and am now using the latest release and the latest beta.

Right now I'm using a non-laced HiRes PAL resolution with my 1920x1080 LED and Auto Integer Scaling horizontally fills the entire screen in a pixel-precise manner, cropping out the unnecessary border areas etc. This is the best look I could come up with by tinkering with the overscan settings.

However I'd like to get rid of the black bars on the top and the bottom. In other words, I only need to have integer scaling on the horizontal plane and be able to break pixel precision vertically by tweaking it with the Vert. size slider which does nothing at the moment.

Speaking as a user experience designer I see a slight problem here. I'd expect that tweaking the sliders would override the auto integer scaling by having the scaling setting to force-switch to manual mode but letting the user to continue from what auto integer scaling previously calculated.

Either that or manually switching to "manual" mode could have kept the previous scaling data.

I'm fine with editing the configurations manually but AFAIK there's no way to know the resulting Auto Integer Scaling calculation data so that one could modify it. Right?

The reason I'm using integer scaling is because I can't stand garbled gui elements in workbench but I'm mostly annoyed with the way they look on the horizontal plane. I'm using sweetfx and filters on games and such so rarely notice problems there.

Sorry about the excess use of word "scaling". I hope all this made sense.
Any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	example.jpg
Views:	416
Size:	349.0 KB
ID:	40683  
Old 27 July 2014, 15:20   #2
Michael Sykes
WinUAE end user

I had the same Problem and ended up using Automatic resize instead of integer scaling
Did you try resolution autoswitch,too?

Here my settings...

->Display panel
Full-window - LL VSync
Resoluton autoswitch - Allways on
Filtered low resolution(for better a looking superHiRes)

->Filter panel
Automatic resize + scanRez2.png mask.
Aspect corection is set to automatic wich gives me some black bars on the left and right side.Just disable it for fullscreen.

Last but not least,NEVER disable bilinear filtering.(or you might get eye cancer)

Looks not bad if redered to a 1080p screen.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	138.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	292.8 KB
ID:	40685  

Last edited by Michael Sykes; 27 July 2014 at 15:27.
Old 27 July 2014, 15:57   #3
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Integer scale is only meant to have pixel perfect mapping, you are misusing it if you want to have some other scale factor.

Why not use any other mode that is meant to do what you want? (just normal mode, horizontal = 3x, vertical whatever you want)

Last edited by Toni Wilen; 27 July 2014 at 16:11.
Old 27 July 2014, 16:41   #4
Michael Sykes
WinUAE end user

That was exactly what I used before Automatic resize was implemented.

Res was hires normal, linemode was double, scaling was set to default and H/V size was 2x.

Closest to the original imho.
At least for me it felt like "pixel perfect mapping",too.
For WB use I had to tweak a little bit with overscan since 576x2 is sligtly bigger that 1080 pixels. But who cares. It was the same on most old TV sets.

With or without bilinear filter,it looks really good...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	139.jpg
Views:	401
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	40686   Click image for larger version

Name:	140.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	40688  

Last edited by Michael Sykes; 27 July 2014 at 16:51.
Old 27 July 2014, 18:11   #5
Lobotomika

@Michael Sykes
Your screens are perfect but I'm unable to achieve the same results. Its probably me being dumb or maybe my years old config files are bloated somehow. Can you please attach your config here? Thanks a lot.

@Toni Wilen
I were unable to eliminate windowboxing no matter what I did but I hope I will now with Michael's help. Still, please consider my opinions about usability if you have the time. I can provide more with details if I'm welcome to do so.
Old 28 July 2014, 04:50   #6
Michael Sykes
WinUAE end user

OK.
Just replace the HDD settings with your own.

EDIT: Try to set your graphicscard setting for aspectratio to fullscreen,too.
I mean the windows display-panel settings from ati/nv,not uae.
Attached Files
File Type: uae Config.uae (23.9 KB, 170 views)

Last edited by Michael Sykes; 28 July 2014 at 14:48.
Old 28 July 2014, 22:49   #7
Lobotomika

Upon closer looking these settings don't give precise results unless bilinear filtering is on and I can't stand it. :/ Thanks though, it's an option. Also great tip about the nvidia control panel. It didn't make a difference now but I didn't know the option was there so I'll use it with games from now on.

Anyway I'd very much like to know if anyone can tell how to log auto integer scaling calculation data so that I can modify the settings starting from there. There must be a way to know right?

Also as a final note, I really don't want to be negative about with this great emulator but its turning into a UI hell. Just look at the messy filter tab.
Old 29 July 2014, 05:21   #8
Michael Sykes
WinUAE end user

Just a theory of mine but maybe your impression of an imperfect picture is caused by the nature of LCD's compared to CRT monitors.They can only show one resolution and have to upscale/downscale any non-native res to that ONE resolution e.g. 1080p.
Sometimes the monitor causes artifacts if fedded with something else than that.
WinUAE has to cope with the same problem if given the task.If you really want a CRT like picture you should buy one.
Old 29 July 2014, 10:52   #9
Lobotomika

It's not just your theory, it's the truth. I'm already using real amigas on real CRTs so this is just a secondary thing to me.
Old 29 July 2014, 14:51   #10
Michael Sykes
WinUAE end user

I think on a CRT integer scaling would work much better because you can adjust the horizontal size with a button or knob if the picture has blck bars.
My first impression using WinUAE on a TFT/LCD was "holy shit what a crap".
After lots of tweaking and forcing it to 50Hz it's not that bad.But still not perfect.
Old 29 July 2014, 17:54   #11
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Always remember that what you want rarely is what other users want. For example I don't stand anything else than 1:1 pixel mapping and 100% clear pixels.

Unfortunately (auto) integer scaling vertical and horizontal scaling sliders are already in use, they select when to go up or down in scaling factors. For example if Amiga display fits completely with 1x scaling (but also has huge borders) and 2x scaling clips small amount of Amiga display, you can adjust sliders to force 2x scaling instead of 1x scaling. You probably don't care if 10 or so Amiga pixels are hidden than having huge borders.

There is no "free" sliders for actual scaling anymore..