English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 20 September 2020, 19:09   #1
scuzz

ISO images

I am a little intrigued as to why a CD created on an old XP machine using NERO can be successfully seen on the emulator as an ISO image using the Cyberlink DVD suite Deluxe on a Windows 7 machine, when a CD created on the Windows 7 machine itself and then saved as an ISO image using the very same software cannot. It is the same software creating the ISO image but the emulator can only see the one originally created by NERO on a 2003 XP machine. The difference I guess is that one is a dedicated CD burner and the other is a DVD burner that came with the HP Windows 7 machine. The CDs used were the -R and identical.

I have attempted several times. Puzzled me why this one set of CDs couldn't be recognised by the Emulator and yet my older CDs could. The file structures are the same, just the burning software that varies. Like I say the software used to create the ISO is exactly same. And I saved them as ISO images and not any other format.

I also remembered to exit the emulator completely before mounting the CD in both cases. Just that I am testing four CDs of the UPGold PD set that I have created and I wanted to make sure the saved ISO works on real and not so real Amigas. Guess I will use the XP machine to burn the CDs first.

The version of NERO is NERO-5 and the Win7 just uses the burn facility on the Windows 7 64Bit OS.
Old 20 September 2020, 19:32   #2
Exodous

It could be to do with the number of sessions on the disc, or that the disc is not finalised?

I remember that used to be a "thing"
Old 20 September 2020, 19:46   #3
AMIGASYSTEM

Me with Nero and Winodws 7 I have no problem with ISO, check what type of CD you have offense, UDF for example is not supported by AmigaOS
Old 20 September 2020, 20:09   #4
scuzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
Me with Nero and Winodws 7 I have no problem with ISO, check what type of CD you have offense, UDF for example is not supported by AmigaOS

Hi I probably didn't explain well enough.

I burn a CD using NERO-5 on an old XP machine.

I place CD in Windows 7 machine and use Cyberlink to create and ISO. And that works no problem with the Emulator.

Next:

I burn CD using the Windows 7 own burn facility from the OS on the Win 7 machine using the DVD writer.

I use the same Cyberlink software on the Win 7 machine to create an ISO. Sadly that is not seen by the emulator.

I have limited options with Win7 when it comes to finalising but I will dig around.

Like I say the ISO with the Nero burnt CD works. The CD burnt on the Win 7 machine does not. Same pack of CD-R discs and same files. Its not the CD that is a problem its that the emulator only sees an ISO where I use a CD created by NERO. The ISO is created by Cyberlink software.
Old 20 September 2020, 20:21   #5
AMIGASYSTEM

Sorry with the translation doesn't make me understand well, if you used the integrated Windows 7 Software, this application generates "UDF" CDs not compatible with Filesystem used by WinUAE or AmigaOS.
Moreover CD "UDF" created with integrated software on Win7 must be "closed" otherwise only the burners will see it.
Old 20 September 2020, 20:45   #6
thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuzz View Post
I burn CD using the Windows 7 own burn facility from the OS on the Win 7 machine using the DVD writer.
That's what Amigasystem tried to explain to you. It's about the file system used on the CD / DVD. It has to be ISO9660. Several extensions are supported, but it must be ISO9660. UDF is not supported. Writing files to a CD / DVD using Windows Explorer will use UDF. You have to use a CD writing program which has the option to create ISO9660. One characteristic of ISO9660 is that you cannot add files after the CD / DVD has been written. UDF allows adding and deleting files.
Old 20 September 2020, 21:16   #7
Tomislav

I think that only AllegroCDFS from Elbox can read UDF on Amiga.
Old 20 September 2020, 22:09   #8
thomas

That's what they say, but it does not work. AllegroCDFS cannot read one single CD / DVD more than CacheCDFS or other CD file systems.
Old 20 September 2020, 22:19   #9
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomislav View Post
I think that only AllegroCDFS from Elbox can read UDF on Amiga.
Tested on WinUAE and AllegroCDFS can not mount CD/ISO "UDF".

Device Amiga and WinUAE can mount "UDF" only if it was created with double session "UDF/ISO9660".
Old 20 September 2020, 22:21   #10
scuzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
That's what Amigasystem tried to explain to you. It's about the file system used on the CD / DVD. It has to be ISO9660. Several extensions are supported, but it must be ISO9660. UDF is not supported. Writing files to a CD / DVD using Windows Explorer will use UDF. You have to use a CD writing program which has the option to create ISO9660. One characteristic of ISO9660 is that you cannot add files after the CD / DVD has been written. UDF allows adding and deleting files.

Thanks for that. I guess I will have to drag out the old XP machine to create my discs in future.

Thing is, this is the first time I have used the emulator. I have no problem reading CDs created on the Win7 machine using the A4000/040 and AsimCDFS, so I a little confused as to why the emulator was having a problem. Anyway now I know. I just wanted to make sure the ISO worked on real and emulator Amigas before I shared them with anyone.

Many thanks
Old 20 September 2020, 22:29   #11
AMIGASYSTEM

With Windows7 there are many software to create standard ISOs:

- UltraISO
- MagicISO
- PowerISO
- WinISO
- ISO Workshop (Free) -> https://www.glorylogic.com/iso-workshop.html

Old 21 September 2020, 00:35   #12
Mikerochip

You can use the command line MKISOFS too. There's a few guides around, if you fancy making and iso from the command line.
Old 21 September 2020, 01:21   #13
AC/DC HACKER!

ImgBurn is really good, and free (donations are possible) for making all kinds of CDs as well as Amiga compatible. It'll also help with converting. The programmer made it very intuitive and offers help as you're creating, read them. https://www.imgburn.com Be sure to not install included software. There are a few guides around, but it's not challenging to figure how to use.
Old 21 September 2020, 10:00   #14
AMIGASYSTEM

Yes also ImgBurn is very good, but you must set the Filesystem ISO9660, by default it is set "ISO9660/UDF", this double version of Filesystem on ImgBurn is not supported by Amiga.

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 21 September 2020 at 10:06.
Old 21 September 2020, 10:37   #15
thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuzz View Post
I have no problem reading CDs created on the Win7 machine using the A4000/040 and AsimCDFS, so I a little confused as to why the emulator was having a problem.
If AsimCDFS can read the CDs on a real Amiga then AsimCDFS should also be able to read them on WinUAE.

You should be a bit more specific why you think that "the emulator" does not recognise the CDs. WinUAE emulates hardware. I will recognise any file with a size divisible by 2048 and a name ending with .iso as a CD or DVD image. It does not care about the CD contents.

Whether it can be read by AmigaOS depends on the drivers you have installed in AmigaOS. Did you install AsimCDFS in WinUAE? How do you connect the ISO image to "the emulator"? What do you expect to happen? What happens instead?
Old 21 September 2020, 11:18   #16
AMIGASYSTEM

thomas, AsimCDFS detects UDF CDs as NODOS disk, see screnshoot.

I enclose the Mountlist, maybe by making some changes you could display UDF ?

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 11 October 2020 at 10:54.
Old 21 September 2020, 14:21   #17
scuzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
If AsimCDFS can read the CDs on a real Amiga then AsimCDFS should also be able to read them on WinUAE.

You should be a bit more specific why you think that "the emulator" does not recognise the CDs. WinUAE emulates hardware. I will recognise any file with a size divisible by 2048 and a name ending with .iso as a CD or DVD image. It does not care about the CD contents.

Whether it can be read by AmigaOS depends on the drivers you have installed in AmigaOS. Did you install AsimCDFS in WinUAE? How do you connect the ISO image to "the emulator"? What do you expect to happen? What happens instead?
OK I'll explain what I have been doing in full.... [ deep breath ]

This is my first time with the emulator and so the set up is as it was when I installed the software the other day. I have been steadily building up the emulator as Workbench 3.0 using my ROM from my A1200 that I use and trying to duplicate the way my favourite A1200 looks.

To do this I have been using another 1200 I have here creating adf files from my Amiga disks and then simply copying them over using an XL HD drive on the Amiga that lets me copy to HD PC disks and then transferring using a USB floppy drive given that the Win7 machine has no built in floppy.

I also have most of my disks in adf format on the A4000/040 and that archive is also on this Win7 machine. So that is useful. I have like over 13000 odd disks here. [ not downloads... real disks ].

I use the Windows 7 own burning facility on the Windows 7 machine to burn CD-R discs. I have always only used CD-R discs as I discovered on my SONY DVD player its the only way to get individual files created and not in lumps of 1GB as with DvD+R. I mention that cus there are only CD-R CDs and DVDs in the house. So all CDs and DVDs are burnt using the tool that comes with Windows7 and when I install a blank new disc I get the option to burn to disc which is what I do.

Over the last week or so I have been taking all the files off the internet of the UPGold PD collection, which are all individual files and no ISO image and recreating them lovingly on CDs on the Win7 machine. Having built the four CD contents all I do is copy them to CD using the Win7 burning software and then check them on the Amiga 4000/040. When I place these disks in the A4000 using the AsimCDFS I get the option for Joliet or the ISO and I always check the ISO cus that displays the file names properly. When I hide the popup I get the CD icon on the screen which is the actual disk.info icon associated with an Amiga disc and not the standard CD icon for any type of CD. And then clicking the disc I can access all the files. There are AmigaGuides that link to all the files on the disc that I can extract dms to create floppy disks.

And so the CD created on the Windows 7 machine is seen by my Amiga 4000/040 running OS3.9 no problem using AsimCDFS.

However when I simply use the Cyberlink software on the Win7 machine to create an ISO image using that very same CD and then simply ask the emulator to load the ISO image from the hard drives menu... the section at the bottom where I click the box and then simply browse to the ISO image file, when I click OK to start the emulator, the disk does not appear on the Workbench. If I open DOpus and try to configure drives the CD is not a mounted drive and so the emulator has not picked up the drive.

So to get over this I simply connected up an old 2003 XP machine running NERO-5 and copied the contents of the CD to the XP machine and then using NERO-5 I burnt a fresh CD-R disk.

I then take this to the Win7 machine and repeat the process of creating an ISO image using the Cyberlink software. Just as I have done with the Win7 burnt disk. Same data just different software burniing the disk.

I then open the emulator but before launching it click the CD box thingy at the bottom and browse for the CD iso that I just created on the XP machine and then cleick OK and launch the emulator and like magic the disk appears on the Workbench and I can access all the files.

The only reason I raise the question is that I am using Amigas all the time here and I have CD-ROMs on a tower , three 1200s and two A4000s and I don't have any issue reading the CDs I create. It is only cus I wanted to share the ISO images with the wider world that I wanted to check it worked on the emulator. It did not, using the Windows 7 CD burned disk in the ISO. BUT it did if I burnt the original CD using NERO-5. Its fundementally the same Cyberlink ISO creating software with the only differnece being the original burning sofware. Its the disc thats the problem not the ISO creating software.

It really bothers me not in truth as I only use Amigas for reading stuff and the discs are visible on the Amiga, no problem. However they are not visible on the emulator. I have no idea what file system it uses for the CD I have not set anything up to emulate CD software. Its what ever came with the emulator.

I'm OK cus Ill use NERO-5 to create my discs before creating an ISO on here. But as I am not going to use the emulator very often it really doen't affect me as the Amigas see all my disks as CD-R discs. I don't need an ISO image as you no doubt will appreciate. Its only if I upload the UPSgold PD collection to the website and then start getting complaints from guys with emulators.

Just seems weird to me. But then I guess thats emulators for you. My bigger problem is why I can't enter the WORMS code from my games code booklet into the requester. Normally on a real Amiga it recognises the keystrokes from the keyboard to enter the three digit number. But on the emulator the keyboard is dumb when you enter the game. I've googled all over the place but can't get an answer and used like three sets of my original disks to try and crack it. The only key that works is the number 8 on the numpad. So funny... I'll just play on my Amiga.
Old 21 September 2020, 15:30   #18
andy2004
Zone Friend

Send a message via Yahoo to andy2004
on the pc use CDBurnerXP freeware. works with all dvd burners and can create ISO images.
its only a 6mb download.
https://cdburnerxp.se/download
CDBurnerXP is a free application to burn CDs and DVDs, including Blu-Ray and HD-DVDs. It also includes the feature to burn and create ISOs, as well as a multilanguage interface. Everyone, even companies, can use it for free.

As for the entering the code for the game.. use the numbers across the top of the keyboard not the numpad.
Old 21 September 2020, 17:35   #19
DamienD
disengaged

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy2004 View Post
As for the entering the code for the game.. use the numbers across the top of the keyboard not the numpad.
You can use the Numerical Keypad also to enter in the codes.

Most probably, the reason why it's not working for scuzz is that he has:
Port 2 = Keyboard Layout A (Numeric keypad, 0 and 5 = Fire, Decimal/DEL = 2nd Fire)
Old 22 September 2020, 02:15   #20
scuzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
You can use the Numerical Keypad also to enter in the codes.

Most probably, the reason why it's not working for scuzz is that he has:
Port 2 = Keyboard Layout A (Numeric keypad, 0 and 5 = Fire, Decimal/DEL = 2nd Fire)

I have tried all combinations of the keyboard to get the code entered. The only thing I am able to do is cycle through the first entry by using the up and down keys as they are assigned. The keyboard is disabled. Even when I set none in the second port option. In the disk game on the Amiga the keyboard is fully functional and you can type any letter or number in. On the emulator the keyboard is locked out. I've tried everything to get it working. I can enter nothing on the keyboard or numpad. Only the up down keys work plus that DEL or shift to reset the password.

No worries I'm not planning on using the emulator.