English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 06 March 2014, 06:59   #81
adrdesign

PS: Listened to the module. Very good!!! Sometimes remains me Indiana Jones and the original tune is included properly. +1
Old 07 March 2014, 22:42   #82
adrdesign

This is a WIP of my point of view of the tune. Feedback appreciated too!
Attached Files
File Type: zip wtssremixbeta1.zip (57.5 KB, 107 views)
Old 07 March 2014, 23:06   #83
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Just to say, great efforts the pair of you.

I'm in two minds as to which one to use for the intro........ hmmmmmmmmmmm
Old 07 March 2014, 23:37   #84
Amiga1992

No offense leathered, but there's a lot of dissonance in your mod, if you can finetune the samples so they are not dissonant between each other, I think it's a great version!
Old 08 March 2014, 00:55   #85
Dunny

Yeah, not sure how to critique both tunes without sounding ... well, like an arsehole I suppose.

Leathered - drop the guitar sample, it's awful and doesn't scale well in pitch changes. Other than that, quite a solid effort and definitely my favourite of the two.

Adrdesign - that's... well, it's closer to the original tune and no doubt about that. Interesting that you went with brass wind instruments, certainly wasn't expecting that. However you seem to pepper certain effects in at random - pitch bends/slides and some really harsh sounding... well, I suppose it's like the music stuttering really fast. Sounds dreadful.

The game's theme is 40s/50s adventure in foreign lands - neither tune appears to fit that theme quite as well as the original AY version did.

But at the end of the day, I've not contributed anything so feel free to ignore me.

And again, my apologies.

D.
Old 08 March 2014, 00:57   #86
leathered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
No offense leathered, but there's a lot of dissonance in your mod, if you can finetune the samples so they are not dissonant between each other, I think it's a great version!
None taken! I tweaked it a bit already, but sounds like not enough. The double bass also caused some problems between the different sections with slightly varying pitch during the sample. I was doing most of it in the 'phones, after a while my ears just get tired. And cheers mate!

@adrdesign: I'm glad you picked out the Indy bits, it just happened & seemed to fit. I was also thinking Twin Peaks for some of it, but when I listen to that soundtrack it's actually not much like I imagined.

And your remix is bringing a big 'ol smile to my face. I was wondering if somebody could make anything out of those crazy pan flute sounds and I love the sax. The mod literally seems to stand still in the beginning!

And Galahad; happy to assist and looking forward!
Old 08 March 2014, 01:03   #87
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Wright View Post
I'm going to have to bow out of this, sadly. I'm finding it far too frustrating to create even basic/rudimentary results due to latency issues with WinUAE on my PC and FS-UAE on my Mac. It's not the fault of either emulator, I'm sure it's down to my elderly butterfingers combined with old-man reaction times. Jeez, what used to take a few seconds worth of deft digit dexterity to achieve perfection is now a long and drawn out process.

I can remember when EAB was all fields.

In black and white.

So, in the words of Kym Sims, "don't wait for me, 'cos I won't be there, not this time."
No worries mate, maybe next time
Old 08 March 2014, 01:09   #88
Amiga1992

I'll have a go at this next week if shit doesn't hit the fan schedule-wise as it has been the case for months now. I have an idea that would make this work out in quite an interesting way, at least for me.
Old 09 March 2014, 03:05   #89
adrdesign

@dunny: I agree with you about my version, in fact I did start an orchestal mod but the size of the samples didnt help. So i started with a ragga one what is what the original tune sounded like to me.

This is my version of the tune, hope you like it.

I vote to put the leathered mod ingame. Mine is too repetitive after a while.
Attached Files
File Type: zip WTSSRemix_ADRDESIGN.zip (60.1 KB, 141 views)
Old 09 March 2014, 03:16   #90
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrdesign View Post
@dunny: I agree with you about my version, in fact I did start an orchestal mod but the size of the samples didnt help. So i started with a ragga one what is what the original tune sounded like to me.

seems good to me.
Old 09 March 2014, 13:28   #91
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:

Excellent, really excellent stuff.

Just want to thank you both and Greyfox for the help you've given. You two with the music and Greyfox for additional graphics that will hopefully lift this release a little.

I'm going to make a decision over the next day or so as to which music gets used for the intro, but i'm going to make it so any of the three/four tunes submitted so far can be selectable in the game itself for a bit of variety

Really great work guys, very much appreciated, and everyone thats helped gets credit, its as simple as that.

So thanks to the guys on Atari Forum/d-bug for their Atari ST help, Codetapper for playtesting and bug finding, ADRDesign for music, Leathered for music, Greyfox for additional graphics.

I'm going to sort this all out this week, and hopefully have a major BETA version for Codetapper to playtest on his real Amiga for any final bug finding, and maybe, just maybe I can release this one next weekend.

Thanks guys
Old 11 March 2014, 18:12   #92
leathered

Adrdesign; really nice, the samples are great and a clever tune.

Akira was right about the dissonance. It's better now though I won't say it's completely in tune.

I've made another version using a piano instead of the jangly guitar after reading Dunny's feedback.

With the exception of Beast 1 I don't think I've heard much guitar in an Amiga game that actually worked, so maybe the guitar is something of a novelty for me.
I prefer the piano version at the moment; it cleans the mod up a bit.

edit: not so sure after hearing it again through the pans! See what you think.
Attached Files
File Type: zip burning_bridgesV8.zip (183.3 KB, 106 views)

Last edited by leathered; 12 March 2014 at 00:10.
Old 12 March 2014, 19:42   #93
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

I've got to say the RC1 remix is really starting to grow on me, I was humming it in my truck today!!

Leathered, I'll be honest, it sounds better with the guitars than the pianos, those piano samples just don't have the range for what you want to do with them.

I prefer V7 if i'm perfectly honest.

I'm still at a loss as to which one i'm going to use in the intro, i'm leaning toward the RC1 remix, but size wise, it might be better to put the burningbridges one in there.

Hmmm.........
Old 12 March 2014, 23:33   #94
leathered

My first thought a while back was that the mods done by adrdesign had more impact, just a lot more snappy. Writing my mod I was mostly conscious of it not becoming boring and arriving at a point where it would loop nicely somewhere close to 100kb. Perhaps that lends it better to being an in game tune as adrdesign said. But you da boss.
Re. my mods - it's completely up to you. Maybe the dissonance in V7 has a certain charm lacking in the V8 guitar version, or maybe my ears can't tune anything for shit!
Old 15 March 2014, 13:44   #95
roberthazelby
Amiga user since 1990

Quote:

Apologies for the late reply to this as I've only just had a chance to listen to your creation.

It's absolutely brilliant. It pays homage to the original, but at the same time is like its funkier/jazzier big brother.

I love it. I was grinning from ear to ear while listening to it.
Old 24 March 2014, 02:45   #96
adrdesign

Did you got something new? Have you planned a release date or something? (sorry if does'nt sound polite, my english language skills are limited).

PS: I'm glad to see the comments, I enjoyed a lot making this tune!
Old 24 March 2014, 06:53   #97
tomcat666
Retro Freak

I think that definetly adrdesign's RC1 tune fits the game better (it is SO GOOD... really great fit for the game) and burning bridges would fit the intro better... and I agree with Galahad that the v7 of that is better sounding than v8
Great work on the tunes !
Old 26 March 2014, 08:06   #98
tomcat666
Retro Freak

Galahad: would it be possible to maybe SELECT which tune to use in-game ??? That would be the best option for everyone.
Old 26 March 2014, 12:24   #99
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcat666 View Post
Galahad: would it be possible to maybe SELECT which tune to use in-game ??? That would be the best option for everyone.
That is indeed what will happen. A default tune will play and can be changed on the inbuilt menu i've put into the game , where music can be changed, and screen copy mode can be changed as well to suit different Amigas.
Old 26 March 2014, 15:32   #100
adrdesign

A friend of mine gave a cool idea. He said my module could be during the intro and keep looping the slow part in the end for the options menu until game starts. I think it will work.