English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 03 January 2009, 15:36   #1
marcfrick2112
Amiga Fanatic

Trying to install OS3.9 BB 1 + 2 .... Nightmare!!!

Aaaack! I asked about this on A.org, got some advice, it's just a shame my 4000T won't boot up any more to try it out...

OK, to begin, my 4000T has a 4.5 GB drive, (OS3.1) so whenever data got written past 4GB or so, the HD went screwy. I installed OS 3.9, it went OK, then tried to install BB1, . I got 'unspecified function in Line 5' error. I was told that I had overwritten the correct 'Installer'. Fine, I try to re-install 3.9, I now get nothing... I tried to boot from my 3.9 Emergency disk, and 2 other boot disks I had done for my 4000T, they should work.
OK, I can get to the Early Startup menu, nothing I do there changes anything. Here's what happens when I have the 3.9 Emergency floppy, and the 3.9 CD in the respective drives: After about 15 seconds, the floppy starts accessing, I hear one CD drive spin up, then nothing, just a black screen.

So, what could keep me from accesing ANYthing.....??? Surely, the AmigaOS Update is not so hideously evil, that it lives on and on,..... is there some way to get past this demon????

All I want is OS3.9 w/BB 1+2 installed and working on this system.... Somehow I did this on my 1200T, I even have a CD backup, yet I can't copy my 1200T's working 3.9 backup to my 4000T ?? There's more to it than just the weird workbench.library on the 4000T....

Worse case scenario, could I yank the drive from my 4000T, and use another Amiga to format the disk, and Then copy my OS3.9 backup onto it???

Sorry for the epistle...
Old 03 January 2009, 17:54   #2
prowler
Global Moderator

Hi marcfrick2112,

It would seem like you have completed the most difficult part of the process by installing Amiga OS 3.9, but it appears that you are having more problems installing the BoingBags 1 and 2.

It is a very long time since I installed Amiga OS 3.9 BB2, so I apologize if this advice turns out to be incorrect.

I seem to remember that there is a bug in the UnArc program which is part of the Amiga OS 3.9 install.

The workaround is to download the latest version of LHA from Aminet here:
http://aminet.net/package/util/arc/LhA_e138

When this is installed, use it to unpack the BoingBag archives in turn and you should then have no trouble with their installation.

If this doesn't solve your problem, I'm sure Thomas will be able to help you.

Good luck,

prowler
Old 03 January 2009, 18:05   #3
AmigaFriend

Is your drive IDE or SCSI?

You could even make the install in WinUAE.

I'm not very experienced with OS 3.9 just starting to fiddle with it more this week actually. But i installed it on my A4000D without any problems.
Tried different installations on WinUAE and all went well also.

One thing I made was from the emergency disk i created in an 1.76Mb floppy installed all the drivers for my Cybervision64 and applied Newmode for the 15Khz screens to be upgraded on my monitor.

You could also try the route to install WB 3.1 + necessary drivers if you have vital expansion boards, then upgrade.
Old 03 January 2009, 18:41   #4
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpect View Post
I'm not very experienced with OS 3.9 just starting to fiddle with it more this week actually. But i installed it on my A4000D without any problems.
Tried different installations on WinUAE and all went well also.
Have you got the 'Second Edition' version of thge Amiga OS 3.9 CD, xpect? I don't think the UnArc bug is present on the later version.

There are two versions of the Amiga OS 3.9 CD. The first had CD artwork with a red background and the second had a pink background.

If marcfrick2112 has the original CD, then this will have the bug and would explain the trouble he is having. The Second Edition CD does not have this bug and, if this is the one he has, then there must be another explanation.

I have the Second Edition CD, so I did not actually have this problem and my installation(s) went okay as well.
Old 03 January 2009, 19:44   #5
Bloodwych

Thomas has an online guide:

http://thomas-rapp.homepage.t-online.de/os39uae.html
Old 03 January 2009, 21:24   #6
AmigaFriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
Have you got the 'Second Edition' version of thge Amiga OS 3.9 CD, xpect? I don't think the UnArc bug is present on the later version.
Yes indeed Prowler, the second edition. I didn't recall that detail earlier.

It could be, must surely, one of cause to the problem.
Old 04 January 2009, 15:11   #7
marcfrick2112
Amiga Fanatic

Hey everyone, thanks for the advice. OK, I have an original OS3.9 disc, (not second edition) It's a SCSI drive. It's just really odd, I can't even get my emergency disk to boot. Or anything to boot, for that matter.

I wasn't even using UnArc for the BoingBag's, using a fairly recent .LHA from my A1200T...

I did actually a couple of extra 'emergency disks' w/ needed LIBS: etc. they don't work either....
Never messed with WinUAE, (never had to with 6 Amiga's in the house .....)

I'll keep trying, and if I have to, I'll just yank the drive, stick in another miggy, re-install 3.1, and try again....

Just my luck, I finally get nice 'little' Toaster/Flyer/PAR/TBC4 - equipped miggy, and It's nothin' but bad news....

Again, thanks everybody ....

Marc
Old 04 January 2009, 15:41   #8
AmigaFriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcfrick2112 View Post
It's just really odd, I can't even get my
emergency disk to boot. Or anything to boot, for that matter.

If that's the case nothing boots, try reseating the processor card, and for sake of identifying the problem remove any unnecessary expansion boards and reseat the others (scsi interface for example).

Then give it a go.
Old 05 January 2009, 07:50   #9
marcfrick2112
Amiga Fanatic

xpect: Well, first, thanks for the advice... I was thinking about reseating the proc. card as well, when I read your post...

So, I try my 4000T yet again, and tonight it booted up with the 3.9 emergency disk ... Yay! I'm re-re-installing OS3.9 now...

OK, the only thing I did differently is a) I gave my 4000T a good thump (I was pi$$ed) and b) I disabled ALL hard drives via Early Startup, yet the floppy booted and showed all drives/partitions. ....
Well, I have a Plextor CD drive I want to install anyway, so I might as well check those cards.....
I'm still open to any suggestions regarding the install of BB1 + 2 , I really don't want to go through this again....

One more silly thing: Any Toaster / Flyer users out there?? After re-installing 3.9, I now have 3 'ghosted' duplicate icons of my Flyer drives.... Silly thing 2: I can't get CacheCDFS from 3.9 to use both my CD drives, only 1 at a time....ideas? .... All SCSI, btw ...
Old 08 January 2009, 14:24   #10
marcfrick2112
Amiga Fanatic

Still No Joy ....

grrr...still trouble... I was able to install 3.9 and BB1 and 2 sucessfully, but my 4000T still won't boot up normally. The only way to get it to boot is to disable all hard drives in Early Startup, and boot with the 3.9 emergency disk....

Anyone have ideas? I was thinking the 'Amiga ROM update' might be a problem, although my A1200T worked flawlessly after installing BB1 and 2 and the respective ROM update file, so I don't know what's up.

The only other odd thing I noticed, was that when I got 'you must reboot to continue.....' I clicked Proceed, but my 4000T didn't reboot... Could this be a problem? I seem to remember that SetPatch or something forces a reboot for the ROM updates??

If it helps, Here's the full config. of my 4000T :

AT 4000T, 16MB on board, OS 3.9 w/ BB1 and 2 (Maybe) CyberStorm MK3 '060, 128MB RAM, SYS: and Work: Seagate 1GB or so HDD, 4.5 GB Seagate HDD, Yamaha 4/4/16 CDR, NEC 'unknown' CD drive, (all internal) via cybppc.device , Zip 100, scanner via scsi.device ...
edit: installed cards,etc: Video Toaster + Flyer, DPS PAR (10 GB HDD internally+ TBC4, Octopus cable, 2 Video + 1 Audio drive for Flyer in external enclosures, separate PSU's.
And BTW, Thanks everyone Very much for the help...

Last edited by marcfrick2112; 08 January 2009 at 14:30. Reason: missed something :)
Old 08 January 2009, 14:47   #11
AmigaFriend

Marcfrick, after tyding up my PC drive making Amiga backups and such, tonight i'm going for the first time to make a BoingBang 1 + 2 install on my A4000D and see what happens.

But if your A4000T does not boot with the drives on, something is wrong with one of your SCSI drives. Have you checked termination, Id number, if they don't conflict with any of your hardware, internal and external? 060 library support is installed? ( i don't know if is supported natively in OS3.9)

EDIT: Marc, installed BB1 and BB2 without any problem. Made the Amiga ROM update also, reboot, and everything is working.

Last edited by AmigaFriend; 08 January 2009 at 21:34. Reason: additional info