English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 30 June 2023, 10:43   #1
Angus
Amiga Games Database

Black Crypt question

I've been playing through the rather wonderful Black Crypt recently (I never completed it back when it was released) and I'm not sure if the save game files have some kind of issue.

Basically, you can use the Wizard View spell to draw the map as you experience it, which is a really nice system. It doesn't reveal the whole level, but it dynamically updates as you progress -which is ideal.

The problem I'm having is that with some levels (the larger ones, I think) when I reload a game, the map just shows me the squares immediately adjacent to my location, and nothing of the rest of it - after I spent the previous session mapping out the whole level (and some of them are massive).

Yes, there are level maps available, but they obviously don't reflect your progress on your current level. I also find it much easier accessing the map in-game rather than trying to read my manual or flipping screens to see the on-line versions.

Has it always been like this or is it something the WHDLoad slave has introduced?
Old 30 June 2023, 11:35   #2
Aardvark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus View Post
Has it always been like this or is it something the WHDLoad slave has introduced?
Why don't you test it? The WHDLoad installation works natively too, just run the 'BlackCrypt' file in the data folder.
Old 30 June 2023, 15:14   #3
Angus
Amiga Games Database

Good idea. Hopefully my 1260 won't upset it.

I would still welcome any wisdom from Black Crypt Black Belts. :-)
Old 30 June 2023, 17:04   #4
ransom1122

You mention "with some levels" can you confirm which levels it happens and which levels it doesn't?
Old 30 June 2023, 18:51   #5
Angus
Amiga Games Database

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransom1122 View Post
You mention "with some levels" can you confirm which levels it happens and which levels it doesn't?

Sorry to be vague, but I wasn't aware of the issue until about 4 or 5 levels in. After that, it became a constant problem.

For all I know, Raven Software signed off on it working like this, but if so it seems daft to me, as it just demands an awful lot of repetitive backtracking on the larger levels where you're trying to find something you may have missed in order to proceed in the game.
Old 01 July 2023, 01:41   #6
ransom1122

I beat this game many years ago, only with maps and a walkthrough... too difficult too finish without it...

It's been so long that I don't remember that problem..

Can you provide a save file for me to test?
Old 01 July 2023, 05:19   #7
Rotareneg

I don't remember this happening on a real Amiga way back when Black Crypt came out (retail box bought in the US, not sure if there was separate NTSC/PAL versions or not) nor a few years ago on WinUAE with the regular HD install (not WHDLoad.)
Old 01 July 2023, 11:16   #8
Angus
Amiga Games Database

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransom1122 View Post
I beat this game many years ago, only with maps and a walkthrough... too difficult too finish without it...

It's been so long that I don't remember that problem..

Can you provide a save file for me to test?

I have put my saves in the Zone. Thanks for your interest.

@Rotareneg - Thanks, I appreciate the info.
Old 02 July 2023, 21:48   #9
Angus
Amiga Games Database

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aardvark View Post
Why don't you test it? The WHDLoad installation works natively too, just run the 'BlackCrypt' file in the data folder.
I wasn't able to get it to work. I decrunched the file but that didn't help. My knowledge of these things is pretty limited.
Old 03 July 2023, 03:06   #10
Aardvark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus View Post
I wasn't able to get it to work. I decrunched the file but that didn't help. My knowledge of these things is pretty limited.
No need to decrunch anything, the WHDLoad data files for this game are identical to native install, except the 'BlackCrypt' file is missing an icon. What exactly happens when you run it?
Old 08 July 2023, 12:34   #11
Angus
Amiga Games Database

Quote:
No need to decrunch anything, the WHDLoad data files for this game are identical to native install, except the 'BlackCrypt' file is missing an icon. What exactly happens when you run it?
<br />
<br />

I got the installation from a highly respected source, on a dvd, (Xmas 2008) ;-) I think he crunched things in order to make them fit.

I've been trying a non-whdload install that I had archived, and it seems to do the mapping properly without 'forgetting' the levels after you reload.

The issue is complicated slightly by the fact that if you don't have the Wizard Sight spell active, the mapping is not functioning, but I'm sure that is by design.
Old 08 July 2023, 23:04   #12
Angus
Amiga Games Database

Quote:

I've just uploaded some non-WHDLoad saves to the Mantis bug tracker. They appear to retain the map without any problem. I'm putting the in the Zone too, in case it's of interest.
Old 16 July 2023, 21:45   #13
Doomer

CHARACTERS(A-E) files is only party stats, inventory and position. OrigDungeons(A-E) is actual state of dungeon, around 171KB per slot and TempDungeons but I don't remember for what. Upload OrigDungeons and TempDungeons too.
Old 20 July 2023, 16:53   #14
Angus
Amiga Games Database

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomer View Post
CHARACTERS(A-E) files is only party stats, inventory and position. OrigDungeons(A-E) is actual state of dungeon, around 171KB per slot and TempDungeons but I don't remember for what. Upload OrigDungeons and TempDungeons too.

Thanks Doomer, I've uploaded to the Zone the relevant files you mentioned from both the broken WHD version and also the working TRSI crack.
Old 22 July 2023, 21:21   #15
demoniac

Angus, are you using the TRSI crack with the Bytec fix (as supposedly the original TRSI release removed puzzles from the game as well)? I have been meaning to start this game at some point.
Old 22 July 2023, 22:20   #16
Angus
Amiga Games Database

Quote:
Originally Posted by demoniac View Post
Angus, are you using the TRSI crack with the Bytec fix (as supposedly the original TRSI release removed puzzles from the game as well)? I have been meaning to start this game at some point.

I'm afraid I don't know. It looks like I lha archived the installation in 1999 and had it saved somewhere.

The Black Crypt exe is 12.4 KB (12,700 bytes) size according to Windows.
Happy to Zone it if that helps.
I don't think it helps with puzzles but there are some (2 or 3) security checks in the game that you can find the answer to in the manual that it takes care of -at least, as far as I know.....
Old 23 July 2023, 02:03   #17
demoniac

I guess I will reach out whenever I play this. Might not be for a while.
Old 23 July 2023, 08:46   #18
Angus
Amiga Games Database

Should be okay. But hopefully the WHDLoad version will be fixed at some point.
Old 23 July 2023, 18:59   #19
Doomer

I downloaded saves but game crashes when I want see map, strange. So must download WHD version and make my own to check. Btw dungeon exe and protection is in bcdft file.
Old 23 July 2023, 19:31   #20
Angus
Amiga Games Database

Yes, it sometimes just went to a black screen if Ivtried to access the map on an underwater level.

Ah, I didn't realise about the bcdft file.