English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 25 July 2023, 20:00   #61
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzkat View Post
I'd argue that Mass Effect 2's story was essentially non-existent

Seriously though, assemble a team > seduce one of them > suicide mission isn't really a story. That's lazy writing, whichever way you look at it.

As for the characters, they were very poor IMO. Miranda was simply eye candy, Jack was an annoying and angsty teen, and Thane's dialogue was peak cringe.

And don't get my started on planet scanning. That awful mini-game gave me carpal tunnel.

To me, Mass Effect 2 was a poor man's Gears of War with sex scenes. I've never felt so disappointed with a sequel in my life!
Man, I really did not experience it that way. I was in there. Well your experience may have been bad, but it least it wasn't forgettable
Old 26 July 2023, 18:19   #62
kremiso

i havent played yet Mass Effect 2 (and 3), but i know many consider the second as the better of the serie

i liked a lot the first one

BioWare talking, i liked the original Dragon Age more than the sequels;
i have tried also recently to finally proceed deep into Inquisition, that is better technically, but the lot of different tasks and respawing enemies...

absolutely not a bad sequel, i just preferred a more linear path like in the first one
Old 26 July 2023, 18:48   #63
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Silent Hill would also apply. Silent Hill 1,2,3 are fantastic. Silent Hill 4 is... interesting. Homecoming is badly implemented but probably has the best boss designs of the franchise. Anything else is utter tripe, including HD remakes. They're ramping up a Silent Hill 2 remake (which would be the second time) and a couple of new games... I'm just going to be assuming the worst.
Old 28 July 2023, 21:11   #64
TommyTomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by kremiso View Post
if you aren't Stuart Campbell in reality, truly congrats for having reached to complete it
Thanks, I'm not Stuart Campbell. I don't know if I could do it again with the original mouse like I did it in the 90s
Old 10 August 2023, 11:18   #65
kremiso

Legacy of Kain
absolutely loved the first chapter (the 2D one with the overhead camera)
and the imo amazing storytelling

played on PS1 back in the day, still my fave one over the (also different) sequels
Old 10 August 2023, 17:33   #66
Amigajay

Many games i prefer the originality and purity of the original over any sequels.

Cannon Fodder - the original is a classic, the sequel was ruined by SC.

The Chaos Engine - again i think most agree the first is easily the best here.

Desert Strike - the sequels were good, but the setting and timing of the original couldn’t be beaten.

Lemmings - disregarding the data disk and Christmas packs, the sequel had too many skills imo, and lacked the charm of the original.

Populous - again the sequel was good, but i still go back to the original more for the pure simplicity and fun of the original.

Other systems

Crazy Taxi - sequel was disappointing imo, city was less fun to drive around and music was worse than the first on DC.

Destruction Derby - amazing physics and fun in 1995, was so looking forward to the sequel, sadly some yanks must have got into the developers heads and turned it into some naff generic racing game devoid of what the made the original so fun!

Halo - nothing will beat the first Halo in this franchise, still my go back to FPS game (bar Doom).

Shenmue - loved the sequel, but this might sound weird, but the sequel was too big! Preferred the atmosphere and story of the first game more.

Sonic The Hedgehog - the first, the best! Played all the 2D games (and a few 3D yuck!) through the years, technically not the best but still gives me the buzz to play it through most years!

Road Rash - i love this series, and most are decent games, but striping it all back the original, the original has it all, there is no real need for the sequels (bar the 2 player mode), but that aside, the original looks, sounds and plays the best.

Wipeout - my launch day PSX game, again nothing wrong with the sequels per say, but i prefer the original, why? Takes a more skilled player to steer around the courses, one tap and you come to a halt, not like the Burnout Paradise scrape along the walls of the sequels, it just took away from some the tension in the races and time trials.
Old 10 August 2023, 22:08   #67
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigajay View Post
Shenmue - loved the sequel, but this might sound weird, but the sequel was too big! Preferred the atmosphere and story of the first game more.
That is not weird at all. It is kind of a problem nowadays that they want to cram too much cruft into the game and kind of forget it is supposed to be a game and not work. I don't think I'll be playing Starfield, for example. They overdid it.
Old 11 August 2023, 03:18   #68
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Seems that many here like HOL v1 more than HOL v2.

I like both, for different purposes.
Old 11 August 2023, 22:59   #69
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Dungeon Master. I don't dislike Dungeon Master 2, it has some clever ideas. I just recently learned that you can make the wolves fetch objects for you across pits if you throw a bone, I never figured that out back in the day.

But it's just so dreary! For a game 100% taking place in an underground dungeon, Dungeon Master 1 is actually pretty bright and colorful. Can't say the same about DM2, the game puts me in a bit of a downer mood.
Old 12 August 2023, 08:35   #70
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

For me Legend of Grimrock 2 didn't click. Really liked the first one, but I found the second one too confusing.
Old 12 August 2023, 10:02   #71
kremiso

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
For me Legend of Grimrock 2 didn't click. Really liked the first one, but I found the second one too confusing.
same here
i could try it again with a now better pc (i played on a not great one bitd)
but the game mechanic will not change

dumb request, i would like the first one controller compatible
Old 12 August 2023, 11:53   #72
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

It is not impossible, they made Dungeon Master for the SNES after all
Old 12 August 2023, 11:58   #73
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

And Eye of the Beholder too: [ Show youtube player ]. I does work surprisingly well with a controller.
Old 12 August 2023, 15:11   #74
kremiso

Eye of Beholder SegaCD was perfectly playable to