English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 16 October 2001, 19:15   #1
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

UAE device level CD emulation

I have finally started coding long(?) waited UAE cd.device emulation.

Working:

- CD32 CDs boots, some games even work... (Need both CD32 Kickstart ROMS) But missing CD32 pad emulation makes playing most games quite hard
- CD32 build-in CD Audio player "works" (accepts my fake TOC information)
- CDROM access via Amiga CD-Filesystem works

Problems:

- No CD Audio features (currently they only return fake information)
- Missing features here and there..
- Uses WinNT/2K/XP-style device access, does not work on Win9X (I don't personally care about w9x, but...)
Old 16 October 2001, 19:29   #2
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

Thumbs up Great Stuff

Great stuff Toni. Personally I don't care for Win9x either. I'm really suprised Brian's added support for Windows 95. Why on earth would anyone want to use such an old and outdated OS? The Amiga's Workbench can run rings around Win95. WinUAE works best on 2K/XP anyway. The feature I'm most looking forward too is CD32 joypad emulation. Good work Toni.

Last edited by Steve; 16 October 2001 at 19:35.
Old 16 October 2001, 20:16   #3
RetroMan

@Toni Wilen

Wouldn´t it be possible to use the CD32 emulator that comes with IDEfix for the Joypad emulation ???? I have it on my real A1200 and it works quite well ..... hmmm, ok you have to play with keyboard, but anyway you´re able to play the game
Old 16 October 2001, 20:48   #4
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Wouldn´t it be possible to use the CD32 emulator that comes with IDEfix for the Joypad emulation
Probably but real CD32 pad emulation will be implemented later. I have plans to rewrite whole Joystick emulation complately. Here are some ideas:

- supports multiple PC game controllers
- mouse selection, both ports: none, pc mouse 0-? (for supporting multiplayer Lemmings!), analog controller mouse emulation
- add keyboard commands/joystick directions/CD32 pad buttons to game controller's buttons (stupid example: button 3 = SPACE, button 4 = RETURN, 5 = Green CD 32 button, 6 = joystick up, etc..)

Anything else?
Old 16 October 2001, 21:05   #5
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

Quote:
Originally posted by Toni Wilen

- supports multiple PC game controllers
Anything else?
That will be a fantastic feature to have in WinUAE. So you can daisy chain a couple of Sidewinder joypads for 2 player games. Sweet.
Old 16 October 2001, 22:47   #6
Drake1009

Quote:
Originally posted by RetroMan
@Toni Wilen

Wouldn´t it be possible to use the CD32 emulator that comes with IDEfix for the Joypad emulation ???? I have it on my real A1200 and it works quite well ..... hmmm, ok you have to play with keyboard, but anyway you´re able to play the game
Hmmm joypad emulation on the keyboard.

I know it'd suck on the Amiga, but I'm low on multiple button joysticks (Actually I only have 1 with 2 different buttons and half the time left doesn't work).

Is it possible to get something to emulate a multiple button joystick/pad on the keyboard on the Amiga?
Old 17 October 2001, 19:10   #7
Ridge

CD32 UAE

This is great progress
It will be cool to see CD32 "fully" emulated.

Old 17 October 2001, 19:12   #8
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

It would be great news for the Amiga database project, as there are some CD32 games which I can't get screenshots of e.g. Microcosm.
Old 17 October 2001, 19:59   #9
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

Thumbs down Microcosm

Now there's a game I haven't played in a few years. I played it for about 5 minutes on a friends A1200 after all the hype that was behind it. It turned out to be a big steaming pile of cow poop. The FMV was the best thing about it and established it as a benchmark CD32 game for the others to follow. Graphically though it was fairly impressive for it's time.
Old 19 October 2001, 22:35   #10
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Here is some screenshots from UAE CD32 and CDTV emulation:
CD32 Audio CD player (working 100%)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cd32_cdplayer.png
Views:	1971
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	1059  
Old 19 October 2001, 22:37   #11
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

CDTV CD Audio player (does not work yet)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	cdtv_cdplayer.png
Views:	1955
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	1060  
Old 19 October 2001, 22:37   #12
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

CDTV boot screen
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	cdtv_boot.png
Views:	1919
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	1061  
Old 19 October 2001, 22:38   #13
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

CD32 boot screen
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	cd32_boot.png
Views:	1897
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	1062  
Old 19 October 2001, 23:05   #14
RetroMan

WOW, that´s really impressing Can´t hardly wait so see the next WinUAE release to test myself ..... uhm, btw. does anyone know how to read/transfer the CD³² bios for any chance ??
Old 20 October 2001, 20:36   #15
Amiga1992

Re: Great Stuff

Quote:
Originally posted by steve_b
Personally I don't care for Win9x either. I'm really suprised Brian's added support for Windows 95. Why on earth would anyone want to use such an old and outdated OS?
I won't 'upgrade' to a new OS, I run Windows 98.I hate the Wintel mindfuck.

Anyway, great work there, Toni. Looking excellent! (even if i cant use it. doh)
Old 21 October 2001, 14:51   #16
ninjaw

great great great

to grab 'bios' or rom you just have to link your cd32 to amiga with a kit and then you can launch a tool from aminet that will do the job (it will grab the rom to ram, and then you can of course copy the cd32 ram to amiga)

And for Microcosm there is of course lots of screenshots on cd32.ninjaw.com but none at perfect quality, yep

Old 24 December 2001, 20:25   #17
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

News about my UAE CD32 emulation.. CD32 NVRAM hardware is now emulated.

"Only" one feature left: CDROM hardware. Unfortunately some games access CDROM hardware directly instead of using cd.device. These games won't work without CDROM hardware emulation. (Of course you can create game patches but my goal is to create "real" CD32 emulator)

See following url for more information and screenshots: http://www.arabuusimiehet.com/twilen/uae/cd32/
Old 30 December 2001, 07:42   #18
Exodus

Toni, what a great idea. Can't wait to play CD32 games. I don't understand how everyone will manage to get the BIOS image if they don't own an Amiga themselves and the CD32/CDTV

I just hope you make Win9x compatible with CD32/CDTV. I have no plans in upgrading my OS for at least another year. I have Windows 98, and it treats me with respect.

// You know the rules. No directly typing your signature. You really want one, take a trip to Here
Have a nice day

Last edited by Amigaboy; 30 December 2001 at 08:11.
Old 30 December 2001, 10:09   #19
Drake1009

I'm using 98 on my PC and that's where I'm staying until something with propper DOS and Win games emulation is available otherplace. And for some strange reason I doubt it'd be a newer version of whinedoze.
Old 30 December 2001, 13:58   #20
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Yeah, I use two PC's at work, one with W98 and one with W2k. The software I use (Quark Xpress, Adobe Photoshop, ACDSee, CuteFTP, etc.) all perform more stable under 98 than 2000 (under W2k, the crashes are far more frequent and the OS appears to be more resource hungry). Plus I hate the way they have complicated things that were once simple (like the Find command...sheesh!) and if you aren't looged on as administrator, you can't install anything but screen savers (the virus guys were at least left with an option, right?)...heck, I can't even mess with the calendar (often I need to check what day of the week a date falls on past or present and normally I do so by double-clicking the time from the tray, but only admins are allowed this in W2k!)

And Friday I got to actually 'hands-on' try XP for the first time. That has got to be the gaudiest, ugliest, faggiest, dumbed-down OS I have ever laid eyes on. Nothing could ever make me install such a tacky, garish OS on my own machine and thankfully, my employer feels the same way, so I won't have to use this at work either. It looks and feels like a kiddie web site. I was with a friend who normally defends Micro$oft, but we were both laughing hysterically in the Best Buy aisle at this atrocity.

Off-topic, but I also saw a side-by-side compare of X-Box with its competitors and, as expected, X-Box loses. But I see people drooling its way, so it seems M$ have marketed their way into the console scene even with all of the crashes and high pricetag. (sigh) At least I can say I saw their latest and know they are cack.

Sorry about these topics straying into new territory...if there are any responses to this, please do so in another thread...I just wanted to say that I won't update to W2K or XP even for WinUAE.