English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 28 November 2020, 15:03   #1
Collietrainer

Gotek & Boot Selector Help

Hi,

Thanks for adding me to the group.

I am looking for some technical assistance please and hope this is the correct place to post request.

Firstly you should know I have just returned to the Amiga 500 after 30 odd years and my previous and current knowledge of their workings is restricted to inserting a floppy and using it. So please keep any help as simple as possible ) .

So I read in this group that an internal or external Gotek device exists for the Amiga and also a boot selector switch assembly. I purchased from eBay an internal Gotek, (flash floppy pre installed) and from Amiga kit a DF0/DF1 Boot Selector switch. On opening case my motherboard chip socket appear non standard and the new Amiga Kit base with the switch has pins rather than flat tags. Made a small hole in the rear of the Amiga for the switch. Nicely tucked out of the way. The chip was then removed from the board and replaced with the socket attached to the boot switch, (anti stat mat and wrist strap). Then the chip was inserted back into it and switch mounted at rear of case. So far so good although the socket sits a bit proud and refuses to go in any further. Next the original internal floppy was removed and the Gotek added. Power cable reattached but managed to get the ribbon cable the wrong way round. I found this out a little later on*. (Watching the u tube vids they say to put the red strip in the ribbon cable next to the power lead but my floppy connections also appears non standard). The Gotek came pre installed with fast floppy and Amiga tools. All back together, quick check round and switched on. The blue OLED screen on the Gotek illuminated with the message ‘ribbon cable may be wrong way round*’. Corrected that and switched on. Booted straight into Amiga tools off the USB. I have a Cumana external disk drive connected to the floppy port on the rear. I inserted the Amiga workbench into the external floppy drive. Switched the switch down on rear of Amiga, (up is Gotek, down should be external floppy), to make it DF0 instead of the Gotek and expected floppy to boot to workbench but it did not. None of the usual floppy noise. No sign of life. One of the Amiga tools (option F3) allows the disk drives DF0 1-4 if installed to be checked, so selected DF0 and did a read test with switch up. It was recognized as being ‘too fast Gotek or modified PC drive’. Went back a menu and tried same with DF1 selected with switch in same position and did a read test. External drive started up and performed a read test recognizing drive as DD 80 cyl. So the external drive works as DF1 with switch up. Put the switch in opposite position (down) and selected DF1 read test. Message said ‘Not ready signal, Pc or Escom drive? No track 0, drive not present’. Changed to DF0 and tried a read test. Message says DF0 DD 0 cyl read test – then – Not ready signal, PC or Escom drive, No track 0 drive not present. So Gotek OK, floppy not. Any ideas please? Unconnected but I have since loaded the FF software files onto the 16 gb USB drive (64 gb on way).
Thanks

Screen grabs in album.

Last edited by Collietrainer; 28 November 2020 at 16:40. Reason: Addition: Screen grabs in my Album
Old 30 November 2020, 19:30   #2
Collietrainer

Since posting above I have loaded an ADF of X Copy. Onto Gotek. The program recognises DF0 and DF1 with boot switch in upper position (i.e.Gotek set as DF0 and external floppy as DF1) . With blank floppy in external I was able to copy the X Copy program onto the floppy. Then tried to boot from floppy copy of X Copy in external with switch down. In theory external should now be bootable DF0? Would not boot. So external floppy seems fine. I guess the boot switch is not switching. Will open up tomorrow as I have obtained a second switch and will substitute. Eventually I hope to copy many ageing pd disks to usb.