English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 09 August 2002, 08:42   #21
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

I don't like Tekken 1, Tekken 2 I think is average, Tekken 3 I think is above average, but not really that good.

I just HATE cheap fighting games. What about Paul's super punch, that takes 99/100 of his enemy energy, and it's IMPOSSIBLE to be defended? That Bruce Lee guy also has a move like that. And King has a combo that takes ALL energy from his opponent.

Why Namco always added those stupid games in their fight games? Soul Edge would be a KILLING game if it didn't had those stupid special moves.

Back to Worms

I personally have some ideas that could be added to Worms (I would like to code my own Worms clone, if I had the power to do so ) . So, in my POV, Worms can still be updated, but we DON'T NEED that (Worms is a FANTASTIC game as it stills), and even less we need 3D.

I am really curious to know how they will do certain things in 3D. How the hell are we going to use the rope now? And aiming, how is done ? Wind will be measured in 3D too? And think about how odd it will look in 3D when you see flying islands (common in Worms, and not that bad). How the flying sheep will be controlled?

Like I said, I give some credit because it's Team 17... but it's hard to believe that'll be a good game...
Old 09 August 2002, 08:53   #22
Amiga1992

I don't like Tekken 3 or 2 or 1... If you like that kind of fighters, Virtua Fighter 2 is your daddy-o. And the newer ones are good too.

But I still preffer the fantasy 2D fighters to any of these 3D ones.
Old 09 August 2002, 09:26   #23
Drake1009

Quote:
Originally posted by Djay
How about Turrican in a Tekken format...

polygon based character and backgrounds... the camera spins to create best view angle

i would kinda like to see this actually... still the basic gameplay, but with a fresh up-to-date feel (sorry Akira )
1 way of doing it could be looking at Duke nukem MP otherwise. The game is still a 2D game in gameplay, but your chararcter moves along a track. If you need to go into the screen it's done like the 2d ones where you go to a door or something and press up. The camera follows the character or stands still and spins to look at you.
Old 09 August 2002, 09:44   #24
Bloodwych

Quote:
Originally posted by Shatterhand

I am really curious to know how they will do certain things in 3D. How the hell are we going to use the rope now? And aiming, how is done ? Wind will be measured in 3D too? And think about how odd it will look in 3D when you see flying islands (common in Worms, and not that bad). How the flying sheep will be controlled?

Like I said, I give some credit because it's Team 17... but it's hard to believe that'll be a good game...
Like I said above it's already been done!!!!

It's called Hogs of War and is worms in 3D, but with pigs fighting it out instead and slight variations in weapons.

Have a look at the site below:

Hogs of War website

I find 2D fighters like Marvel vs Capcom infinitely more enjoyable than 3D efforts.
Old 09 August 2002, 09:57   #25
Bloodwych

Here are some screen grabs of Hogs of War. You aim certain weapons by using a crosshair, while others you merely point your pig in the right direction.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image2.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	3269  

Last edited by Bloodwych; 09 August 2002 at 10:13.
Old 09 August 2002, 13:31   #26
Konrad

Quote:
Originally posted by jrom
Well... How about Turrican 3D? I read it was under development but... that was ages ago... I think they dropped the development? Someone here who knows something about this?!?!
Quote:
Originally posted by Drake1009
As far as I heard it was under development for the N64, so I guess it is dropped. Seen a few clones being worked on though.
Actually it was under development for the PC. I remember two screenshots being showed in a german PC-Mag. But you're right, it has been cancelled. Don't know why, probably because of the angry fan community , although I was looking forward to play this game.
Old 09 August 2002, 16:38   #27
KombatSanta
Pipboy approved

Send a message via ICQ to KombatSanta
as long as they don't make worms 3d in real time, it might actually be a fun game...

Quote:
My opinion is that Worms is shit anyway
watch your mouth Ian, or you might not get what you want for x-mas
Old 09 August 2002, 23:59   #28
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Quote:
Originally posted by Akira

And Tekken sucks Worst "fighting" game ever, down there with Dangerous Streets!

Tekken (3) is the best fighting game EVER created. With an equally good human opponent, it has an almost limitless lifespan. I have been playing this game against a friend of mine for years and every fight is unique. Ive never played a game on any system where yours skills can be honed to such a degree.
My personal fave is performing a deliberate move that will be countered by my mate just so I can 'chicken' his counter! THE ULTIMATE HUMILIATION and then watch him grit his teeth with fury!
When you see a fight between 2 people who know what they are doing, it really is an impressive sight. In my experience, people who dont like Tekken have had a quick go and found it too hard and have given up. LIGHTWEIGHTS
I would challenge anyone to face my Lei WuLong

sorry, rant over
Old 10 August 2002, 01:03   #29
CPC464

Send a message via ICQ to CPC464 Send a message via AIM to CPC464
I think this SUCKS big time

Classic Games are what they are, we don't want them remade in 3D to run on Modern systems

This is typical of the games indusrty, thinking they know what we (the consumer) wants.

Well they have no Idea

Personally I would welcome Re-makes of classic games to run on modern systems if only they would leave them EXACTLY the way they were .....No added extras, no new graphics (if something is made 2d leave it 2d) and definately no blooming 3D
Old 10 August 2002, 01:58   #30
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally posted by Dastardly
When you see a fight between 2 people who know what they are doing, it really is an impressive sight.
Yeah! I have never poeple mash buttons so well!

Sorry, but I thik tekken games are just of the buttonmashing type
Old 10 August 2002, 02:04   #31
CPC464

Send a message via ICQ to CPC464 Send a message via AIM to CPC464
@ Akira

One of the GREATEST games for "BUTTON MASHING" must have beed "Daily Thompsons Decathlon" (Spectrum) wow did your keyboard take a beating with that game or what
Old 10 August 2002, 02:05   #32
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Thank you, CPC464! But developers will never do this, as they are only interested in the lowest common denominator and the bottom line (and the easiest route via engines). Which explains why the influx of emulation is far more than a passing fleet of fancy for revisionist pack-rats. It's the only escape in a world that has decided substance is a bother. A 3D engine is a wig on the head of a whore. And I don't like my favorite games from the past being put out on the streets sleeping with every fleabag on the streets.

And Dastardly, you are so right about Tekken 3. I can never tire of that game and have played it more than any game on any platform. It's always new and never boring. Opponent range (with a second human player) always guarantees a unique gaming experience. I am generally very good at the game, but have played people who can humiliate me so bad with their strategies that I am still in a huff over (YEARS LATER!) And I am not much of a fan of the fighting/beat-em-up genre to begin with...it's just another genre to me. I am more fond of cutesy platform arcade romps. But there is something in that game that is more addictive than Coca-Cola. But above all else, it's just FUN!
Old 10 August 2002, 02:30   #33
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Quote:
Originally posted by Akira

Yeah! I have never poeple mash buttons so well!

Sorry, but I thik tekken games are just of the buttonmashing type
You are so wrong. When I am playing, not even one button press is unplanned and to watch a Tekken experts hands on the joypad and to think that every press is planned is amazing. Even the joypad has to be held differently from every other game to get the most out of it. There are button mashers out there, but they wouldnt last five seconds against my juggling abilities. When your being kept up in the air, what can you do? I even beat someone once holding the pad with only one hand using nothing but the shoulder buttons for sidestep and grab. They were not amused

Bragging over
Old 10 August 2002, 03:31   #34
th4t1guy

Tekken 3 doesn't make any sense. The characters have all these breakdancing moves, but not once did I see them use cardboard!
Old 10 August 2002, 03:54   #35
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally posted by th4t1guy
Tekken 3 doesn't make any sense. The characters have all these breakdancing moves, but not once did I see them use cardboard!
LOL!

Well, As I said to each one its own, I just dont like the way these 3D fighters perform. Not even the "thinking man's fighter", Virtua Fighter 2.
Old 10 August 2002, 06:29   #36
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

I've once finished Tekken 2 with only one hand too in the PSX... with the Bruce Lee guy (Really can't remember his name now)

I've played Tekken 2 and Tekken 3 a LOT! It was a fav among my friends, so it was a game we would always play when we were in our gaming session (Oh, that was the time )

And I played both games A LOT. I won't tell again why I don't like both games, because I've already done that.

I think Virtua Fighter 3 is better.
Old 11 August 2002, 13:35   #37
Muzkat
Into the Wonderful

Tekken 3, Tag and 4 rule. Button mashing? No way! At my uni, TTT is the game of choice, even though it is years old, and the pros there definately don't simply slam any button at random. They are the only 3d fighting games that I enjoy (Virtua Fighters and Dead or Alives are boring, repetitive and lifeless, apart from DoA's more...er...proportioned females ), and just like others have said, each fight in Tekken games is different, demanding tactics and reflexes. And there is simply so much depth in the games...

Rant over.

Next, I think 3d remakes of games aren't all that great, but not because 3d graphics are ugly, or for such similar reasons. I just think it is a shame that the entire industry has abandoned 2d in favour of 3d. Wouldn't games be more cosmopolitan and attractive with 2d titles along side 3d titles? I think it would be great. This way, the younger generations will discover that 2d graphics aren't "old fashioned," a view they have which is a direct outcome from the 3d saturated market. They will appreciate the artistic beauty of both 2d and 3d, and by doing so, 2d graphics and retro gaming will never be forgotten.
Old 12 August 2002, 10:32   #38
Miggy2TheMax

Quote:
Originally posted by Frederic
How about I create this formula...

Cool old game + 3D "wizards" + Marketing retards = SUCK ASS CRAP GAME
I thought Einstein's e=mc2 represented the world of physics very accurately, but Fred I think you just came up with somethng better
Old 12 August 2002, 14:30   #39
Shadowfire

actually, scientists recently discovered that the speed of light was faster billions of years ago than it is today.

it means that e=mc^2 isn't entirely true, and it will have to be changed. also, they are no longer 100% sure that things can't travel faster than the speed of light.
Old 12 August 2002, 17:16   #40
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Couldn't they just increase the MHz of light so that modern light can keep up with retro light? Might cause global warming though...