English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 01 October 2002, 09:11   #1
AmiGer

Automatic Game Database Lookup !?

Hi, there.

Is there already any program/script etc. that can do a automatic lookup in a game database on the web (e.g. thelegacy.de or something else, s. below) and queries/downloads screenshots and other infos ? I want to do that, because I want to create my own 'local' game overview (better: html) and want to see what kinds of games exist - offline - e.g. to burn it on cd.
Well, and to be continued: The program could "parse" tosec dat/log files and extract the game names... :eek
If there is no program: Why don't create something like that ? I'm a programmer and I know it's not simple, but I know: it's possible...

Can anybody help please ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	legacy.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	3710  
Old 02 October 2002, 08:45   #2
AmiGer

No ideas ? Come on, I know, somebody is interested in that...
Old 02 October 2002, 09:05   #3
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

I'm not sure why you would really want to do that...

Anyway, the Legacy is not very reliable for its information.
Old 02 October 2002, 09:30   #4
Miggy2TheMax

Its not a bad idea, you can get game names easily by doing a listing in some dir that contains the tosec files As for getting the information for each game .. OUCH ... this is where it would get messy, not every website would have all the information on each game and there exists also the problem that not every website will have the same type of information on the game either. Therefore your database would have different information on different games .. not a nice look.

Its truely a hard task, and once you get it all working, your going to need some sort of for loop that goes thru all the game names and hunts all the websites..20,000 or more times.. thats a lot of web time.

Once you have collected and burnt that CD with the game database... the web keeps on evolving with better databases so you'd need to keep on running it ... ARG.. its really a headache..

simple solution, I just go to:

http://www.angusm.demon.co.uk/AGDB/AGDB.html

over 1000 amiga game reviews, simple and nice resource.

I think the best solution would be to scan/OCR all the amiga mag reviews, just like Tim is doing here:

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6305
Old 02 October 2002, 13:57   #5
AmiGer

@Cody... & Miggy...

What I really want is a "overview" of most amiga games available. What I need as a minimum is the game name (no problem -> Tosec) and at least one screenshot (the problem). Of course I can do it myself - but you know there are many games... and I don't have the complete tosec collection Then I build one or more html-templates with all games in it (only for a overview). I need a "compact" overview >before< I download the games -> I only have a modem . Is it clear now ?
However I don't want to hunt 20000 websites. Is there a nearly complete amiga game database >with< (original sized) screenshots on the web ? That's why thelegacy is my favourite... Or is there a better page ?

BTW, Tim's page is very good...

Thanks
Old 02 October 2002, 20:05   #6
RCK
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by AmiGer
Is there a nearly complete amiga game database >with< (original sized) screenshots on the web ?
wait for the HOL ...
Old 03 October 2002, 11:30   #7
AmiGer

Ok, I'll wait...