Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Forgot to enter my nickname.
Old 07 March 2013, 20:27   #302
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
Just had a look at the Netplay feature. Get this error message if i click on the icon.
Hi, can you remember if you used an older FS-UAE Launcher version than 2.1.28? In this version, I added code to make sure the automatically generated nickname (based on username) is actually a valid IRC nick name.

I would appreciate it if you could verify if it works in the most recent Launcher versions by clearing the IRC nick in preference and connecting to the net play server
Old 07 March 2013, 20:51   #303
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

I used 2.1.31 when i got this error. At the moment i use the 2.1.31test2 version you gave me. Of course i still get this error without setting a IRC nickname in the preferences.
Old 08 March 2013, 23:15   #304
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
I used 2.1.31 when i got this error. At the moment i use the 2.1.31test2 version you gave me. Of course i still get this error without setting a IRC nickname in the preferences.
Thanks for testing, the problem will be fixed for 2.1.32
(username read from Windows was not converted to unicode).
Old 14 September 2013, 05:20   #305
AgentUSA

Hey all -

Trying to get FS-UAE 2.2.3 (stable) working with the fs-uae-game-server 2.2.3.

My clients can connect, but every time the server spits out:
did not get expected FSNP header

The 4 bytes of data it's printing is "GET "

If I print the next 40 or so bytes, the urllib2.urlopen(url) call in Netplay.py seems to just be sending an HTTP "GET /IP:PORT/game/create?players=2&password=" when it seems it's just expecting "FSNP" in initialize_client. It I keep printing data it sends, it (FS-UAE net play) never seems to send "FSNP".

Ok - what did I miss? I even checked the fs-uae source for server/game.py to make sure it expects the same and it does.

Again, 2.2.3 all around, using Python 2.7.3-4 on the server, and the clients are whatever version is used in the precompiled Windows binaries for 2.2.3

Any help is appreciated.

Old 14 September 2013, 05:39   #306
AgentUSA

Sorry, just realized I posted this in the net play BETA section. Let me find an appropriate help section.

Old 14 September 2013, 05:52   #307
AgentUSA

I think I see my problem. FS-UAE is expected to send the FSNP string to the game server. NOT the Launcher. The Launcher needs to hit a service (I *just* found service.py) which will spawn a new game server with the appropriate parameters. The Launcher is not able to connect directly to a one-off server instance.

Whew, going to give this a whirl (and revert all the changes I made to fs-uae-game-server-2.2.3.py!) and see how it goes

AgentUSA

Old 14 September 2013, 09:34   #308
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

It looks like you figured it out

As you discovered, when using /startgame from FS-UAE Launcher it expects to hit a game service, capable of launching a server instance for the game. But you do not have to use such a service with the launcher, you have the following options (http://fs-uae.net/launcher-net-play):
  • /startgame - connects to a game service (fengestad.no by default)
  • /hostgame - starts a new local game server instance
  • /customgame - connect to any running game server instance
Based you what you say, I think you originally expected the functionality given by the /customgame command! (Oh, and the net play feature hasn't left beta stage, so this is a very suitable thread )
Old 14 September 2013, 15:48   #309
lesta_smsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodeSolheim View Post

As you discovered, when using /startgame from FS-UAE Launcher it expects to hit a game service, capable of launching a server instance for the game. But you do not have to use such a service with the launcher, you have the following options (http://fs-uae.net/launcher-net-play):
Based you what you say, I think you originally expected the functionality given by the /customgame command! (Oh, and the net play feature hasn't left beta stage, so this is a very suitable thread )
How about shortcuts or buttons to do this? Kind of feeling lazy lol
Old 14 September 2013, 21:43   #310
AgentUSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesta_smsc View Post
How about shortcuts or buttons to do this? Kind of feeling lazy lol
I think I read that this would be done eventually. Lots of work to be done but so far it's pretty rockin' Works WAY better (easier) than the CCS64/Kaillera combo so far.

Quote:

Yep! I was originally running it with /customgame but I had some connectivity issues. I decided to run the standalone game server to see what was wrong, and in doing so I thought it would just be easier to run the standalone server anyways, as it helps when troubleshooting to constantly tail the consoles and logs. I just didn't realize I needed the service as well - this might be a great note to add to the download page, that the standalone fs-uae-game-server-x.y.z.py can't be used with the built-in netplay features of the Launcher, and you need to run the "service" to listen for incoming connections and spawn a new server instance. This is where I got a little confused.

All in all, though, I'm very impressed by the whole setup! Very easy to use, and the launcher in front of FS-UAE makes life so much nicer, especially with an Amiga Online/Forever import. I spent half the night trying to finally finish Shadow Of The Beast III, while my cousin across the country sets his up so we can play some Extreme Violence and Mean Arenas later on!

Old 01 April 2016, 14:54   #311
Bazong

Hello Frode !
First, i will say thanks to that great netplay with your fs-uae emulator !
I try and play around between my PC and my Laptop to check out how it works and get it to run, i also tried "NetPlay Client" from "ztronzo".
All work fine but what i did not understand, is it not possible to start a netgame in my LAN without to connect first to an IRC Server ?

I try quickly to run a IRC Server (officeirc) on another PC in my LAN and connect fs-uae to it, but i dont know anything about irc and how to configure it.
I can connect to irc but if i want to start a netplay game and the second player try to connect with "/join &mytest" that not work, it starts a own channel...

Sorry for my (bad)? english, maybe you can give me a hint or instruction how to configure a irc server for fs-uae netplay
Old 01 April 2016, 16:13   #312
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

You can start netplay games without in IRC server *manually* - but then you cannot set up the game via FS-UAE Launcher .Netplay via FS-UAE Launcher netplay lobby requires an IRC server.

I'm guessing the problem is that the IRC server does not like & channel names. You can try with the other supported naming convention for game channels: #xxxx-game, instead of

/join &mytest

you can try using:

/join #mytest-game
Old 01 April 2016, 19:53   #313
Bazong

Ok thank you, i can solved both.

On the irc server i have to disable the flood protection then it works with my own irc server, just for test. That was the error message for the second player, "disconnected by flood". If you don´t join a "&mytest" channel you get from fs-uae the error message "not a game channel".

Then i try to start a netpaly without an irc-server from commandline (fs-uae.exe test.fs-uae --netplay-server=192.168.1.4 --netplay-tag=baz) like discripted on your website and it works also fine

But i used the python "Game Server" on my Linux server, how can i start a Game Server with fs-uae on the same PC ?
Old 01 April 2016, 21:06   #314
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

FS-UAE itself does not contain a game server, but FS-UAE Launcher contains one. You can run a standalone server with:
Code:
fs-uae-launcher --app=fs-uae-netplay-server
Old 02 April 2016, 14:05   #315
Bazong

Quote:
FS-UAE itself does not contain a game server, but FS-UAE Launcher contains one. You can run a standalone server with:
Code:
fs-uae-launcher --app=fs-uae-netplay-server
Hmm, it did not work. It starts just the Launcher.
I use fs-uae suite 2.6.2 portable for windows and i try cmd-line from windows/fs-uae folder and from the portable mainfolder.
Is there a documentation which parameters are possible or did i somethimg wrong ?
Old 02 April 2016, 14:46   #316
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Hmm, try --fs-uae-netplay-server for 2.6.2! (You need to use fs-uae-launcher.exe and not FS-UAE Launcher.exe in the stable version - in the development version, the proxy executable passes arguments, but the 2.6.2 does not).
Old 02 April 2016, 18:16   #317
Bazong

Ok the 2.6.2 stable version will not work. But the development version is working (fs-uae-launcher.exe --app=fs-uae-netplay-server).
Are there more parameters for disposal after "...netplay-server", e.g. number of players ?
I will try it again with the next stable version, for now it is not so important for me.
Thank you
Old 02 April 2016, 19:19   #318
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

--players=X --port=Y --launch-timeout=Z and --password=W
Old 02 April 2016, 22:14   #319
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

As part of a server upgrade from Ubuntu 12.04 to Ubuntu 14.04, the IRC server got upgraded to ircd-hybrid 8. It looks like support for "local" & channels has been removed? If so, users will have to
Code:
/join #foo-game
instead of
Code:
/join &foo
Old 03 April 2016, 12:54   #320
TEOL

I find that nobody even goes into it because of the overcomplexity of the script mode netplay in general so there is nobody on during my hours to even test with.

I think we should try and get a user friendly Auto Netplay with chatroom into FS-UAE similar to the custom created one in MAMEHub but our own auto one of course.